Goff IS the problem

I guarantee you if we could have a conversation with Holmes, he’d admit that he was expecting to hit on Periman and Williams.

1 Like

Goff was not extended, they just turned salary money into signing bonus to free up a teeny bit of cap room in order to actually field a team this year. They had to do this with some combination of Flowers, Goff, and/or Vatai. There simply was no other way to make the numbers work. They picked their poison, and it’s the one almost everyone here would’ve chosen given the limited options.

Most here seemed pretty psyched about Boyle when acquired, as he supposedly beat out Love for backing up Erin. Not sure how that’s a poor decision.

Holmes owns the roster and the results. But let’s be real, he was forced into the Ripley strategy of nuking the roster from orbit when the decision was made to move Stafford. They sucked it up and fielded a team of crap this year to get to a manageable point for the future. I’m all about needing to see results reasonably quickly, but halfway into the Purge year seems a bit unreasonable.

5 Likes

That’s the one move I don’t hold against him. with not much money he looked for guys with up side they both crapped out but they both had upside one was hurt alot the other looked to be improving finally over the last 16 games or so. The gamble failed but I see what he was doing.

2 Likes

So extend might not be the right word butt I believe if they wouldn’t have did it they could have moved on next year with out much cap hit, but after the restructure now your stuck with him next year without taking a big hit, from what I understand.

Too funny how things are spun here by certain folks

• Our GM took the best offer out there. And it was regardless if they got Goff or not. Goff was a add on that made sense and still makes sense for the plan of this year, short term.

• DC nor BH knew what they truly had coming here QB wise. Getting a trade that included not just a starting type QB but one the GM knew made total sense. And it saved a pick or trade for one that was used elsewhere for rebuilding the team…. Foundation first before the capstone folks…,

And! :crazy_face:. You all refuse to recall the topics on this when we made the trade?!

• Goff short term gap, or long term fix

I’m betting BH had the same idea folks… getting Goff simply let them look at the other part to work with first or foundation wise

Add in injuries, and I absolutely see this imho, a dude who lost his self confidence

Why do you think they left him in the game injured…. Respect in the hopes he will regain his confidence as well as the team see him out their balling, and not complaining. Fans wanted Blough but that would have the worst call imho

Goff wanting to stay in helps solidify the team as just that a team…

It’s scripture but it fit here: “Since we are the sons of God; we must come the sons of God”!

Our leadership knows a team is nothing but posers unless the players believe in each other and then they become a team!!

This year is about the most classic attempt or honest attempt to rebuild correctly I’ve ever seen here

The end is better than the beginning folks! And I hope we win out

not convinced it’s DC’s fault, he’ got a team full of Jerry’s Kids save for maybe 5-6 players, I swear the QB has turrets or something…makes poor decisions and has a rubber arm , he’s not reading anything just tossing the ball 4 yards weather our WR is watching and waiting for the ball or not.

1 Like

Eh, he will likely be our QB in 2022 and cut the following season. All things considered, he’ll be gone before too long.

I expect golf to start next season but be replaced sometime around week 3 to 6 with whoever we take with the rams pick Or a trait back into the mid range with that

It was only the best deal if Goff works out to be a decent starter, assuming the rumors of the Carolina offer are true. #8 in 2021 is better than mid-to-late twenties in 2022 and 2023. To your point, though, most people here were sexually aroused over “two first rounders” so it’s a little hypocritical for them to be getting wound up about it now.

Not knowing what was going on with Goff is not a great excuse for this particular group of guys, Holmes most especially. If Goff doesn’t pan out, those two late firsts better get smashed out of the park to salvage the situation.

Now, who knows whether the Carolina offer was actually on the table. But most people are assuming it was, and will be judging Holmes accordingly. Goff really needs to work out or Holmie better have a super-effective plan B.

I’m betting the plan was to lean on the running game and not rely on Goff. That all went awry week 1 when we lost decker and then ragnow. It really sucks because we all just got a glimpse of how good a run blocking unit this line could be if everyone was healthy.

2 Likes

That’s if we don’t take a quarterback high. I’m really not opposed to trading down if we can and taking a kid like correl. If we can trade back around 10-13 and grab that kid with some extra high picks I’d consider that a win. Let Goff start next season and let the kid develop. Maybe play him the second half if he’s ready and the team around him isn’t hot garbage. If it is then let Goff take the beating.

I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping Jared would at least be a bridge going into next year’s draft but his play hurts my eyes. You don’t run on 3rd and 15 the amount of times we did and still say you trust your qb. I do think we are seeing first hand how dominant our running game could be with decker and Sewell though.

Just imagine what it would look like with Ragnow as well. I was really hoping to see all 3 play together this year.

1 Like

Eh, maybe. Define “hit”. If it was veteran presence who would at least keep defenses honest while we run or throw the ball to Hockenson/Swift, then yeah, I agree that’s what he was looking for. They were cheap vets with experience, theoretically good options for a young, rebuilding team. I don’t think they were ever intended to have a Marvin Jones or Golden Tate impact.

They would have made the roster and taken snaps. LOL
They would hold the fort while Cephus and St Brown worked into the fold.
They would have contributed as much or maybe a little more than Raymond.

That’s all. I’m certain that Holmes expected more and may have banked on it to a degree.

I thought it was a good gamble. I was horribly wrong of course but I get what Holmes was going for given limited options.

I think it just means we have a very expensive back up qb for one season.

And beans.

Wether you understand what Holmes was doing or agree with the risk, those moves have been utter failures. He doesn’t get a pass just because it made sense. The only reason I haven’t given up on this regime (including DC) is because it’s year one and we’ll really find out what these guys are made of in year two.

1 Like

It still blows my mind that after decades of batching and whining about every penny this team spends because people didn’t want to get into salary cap hell…when we are ACTUALLY in a salary cap he’ll year people don’t even recognize it. They think every decision was by design like it was a normal year.