Goff Press Conference

LOL, Goff under Patricia and Caldwell, and much of Schwartz would have had many losses and the odds are EXTREMELY remote the comeback wins. Goff didnt have to count on historically bad D’s to make a stop. Goff had a run game that wasn’t always at or near the bottom of the league, and Goff wasn’t getting killed behind a porous Oline for yrs.

Funny how Coaching and the team are forgotten to make a point, a point that doesn’t hold water. Grossman got to the SB, Dilfer won it. Are either as good as Goff?

If Goff is lucky this organization, an organization with 1 playoff win since 1957, a win that was 30 yrs ago, actually hired a good HC and GM he may find success. If this is a typical HC and GM he won’t. If he’s cursed with what Stafford was cursed with he may retire in 7 yrs or ask for a trade next yr.

Goff will have his first loss after leading at the half. It will be the first of several. This is Detroit , it’s not LA.

That’s not a shot at Goff in the slightest. That is the history of this franchise. The franchise that ruined Barry, ruined CJ, and nearly ruined Stafford. I and every Lion fan wants the best for Goff. However every Lion fan knows what’s coming based off a damn long sickening history of incompetence in a horrifically run organization is in all likelihood going to chew up Goff as well. Then some expert fans will blame Goff for not winning a SB or playoff game.

For the love of God I hope they finally got a staff and front office that isn’t the next Millen or Quintricia

1 Like

If Detroit is as cursed as you think, I think your lucky that Goff Is the quarterback. I can’t think of another former number one pick from a team as cursed or bad as a Cal. His freshman year the only game they won was against FCS Portland State, but he still threw for 371 against Ohio State the next week. Even when they made it to a bowl his junior year they still had to drop 50 almost every week because their D was near last in the nation. Aaron Rodgers might be the best Cal quarterback in the NFL, but Jared Goff was the best Cal quarterback so maybe there is still some hope for his future.

1 Like

It’s Lions official. How does twitter guy get Stafford to sit down and narrate? Did you even watch it? Not trying to be a jerk, just that there really can be no question once you’ve seen it.

2 Likes

Thanks for that heavy dose of pessimism to start the day. Barry are CJ and in the HOF? Ruined? Hardly.

This Lions team has just had the most changes season to season than ANYONE has ever seen. I’m going to at least let them get on the field before judging. IMO, they are going to surprise.

1 Like

1 Like

terrell owens boards GIF

2 Likes

Wow as a suffering cal fan I concur.

Rodgers is the greatest I’ve ever seen in a cal uniform but it was so brief and that team had a ton of future all pro nfl players. Goff persevered through a team with no oline and no defense and out gunned a lot of teams on his way to several all-time Cal records.

if the lions can turn this ship with anyone, its goff…

2 Likes

How do you feel about you guys’ running game? I think that will be huge. Matt is statistically the best QB in the league, when under pressure…but he’s always been under pressure. Dude has a ton of really hard miles on him. He’s one tough SOB, but he has had the crap kicked out of him.

I view this post as all truth as well.

I think we’ll have some rough games this year. I’m almost feeling like we are a 6-8 win team, this year. We have a lot of repair that needs to be done to this D.

Next year, we have a lot of bad contract and dead cap space that comes off, in conjunction with great draft capital for the following 2 years. I see us as developing into a top 1/4 of the league in salary cap, as well as one of the league’s youngest teams. We will have a really nice window of opportunity. Mistakes should go way down in 2022, as we gel a little bit and get used to the new culture. Remember…with rookies come rookie mistakes. I think we’ll have some growing pains. I think next year, we will have continuity on OL, a scheme and culture in place on both sides of the ball, and be ready to Turn This Muthu Out!

1 Like

Yup- I loved the vid, and I think 99% of Lions fans would. I view it as a thank you note from Matt as he leaves town, and I appreciated it.

People who focus on the positive will likely see it as a positive.
People who focus on negative stuff…
Either way, it is what it is, and one of the best humans in the league just left town. Wishing him well.

1 Like

I think you are likely right on the 6-8 win projection, I think the only possibility for better actually would be a result of sternberg becoming a +rg, getting a true wr1, and goff not being as much of a drop off as some seem to believe. Couple that with a defense that can play disciplined even though they are overmatched from a talent perspective and you may see a mediocre year. I don’t expect it as history says we shouldn’t but its not as drastic of a path to improve imo

1 Like

I think you’re right here. With losing Golliday/Jones/Matt a total defensive overhaul, and some role players, we may be lucky to field the same level of talent as we did last year.

That said, the biggest upgrade will be the coaches. I feel Campbell and Goff combination could easily be more effective than Patrica and Stafford. The most important guy on a team is the coach. 2nd is probably the GM.

Especially on the defensive side of the ball, we will be schematically light years ahead of where we were last year. It almost looked like Patricia was trying to lose.

1 Like

Ok does drove them to retirement early because they were tired of losing sit better?

Sorry it’s not pessimistic stating the truth of what’s happened here. Facts are facts.

I’m not even judging MC/DC in that post. I said based on history, what is to come.

I also said I hope they got this one right.

The truth is the overwhelming majority here was pimping Quintricia for his first few yrs. Oh, let him get his guys, let the process work, for the first time I see an actual plan and direction.

I love the energy and charisma to f MC/DC. The enthusiasm to be here, having been here and knowing what the fans have endured and that this is the place that tends to end coaching careers, yet he came back.

I’m pulling for him and this staff, an impressive one on paper at that. However, they haven’t played a game yet, and like many feel, hope is a good thing, but until I see what happens on the field I’m reserving judgment. Which BTW I didn’t do with Patricia, I hated that hire. Hated his scheme and felt Quinn was failing Caldwell.

MC/DC has a different feel, a quiet confidence, a understanding of the team, history, and fans unlike any I recall coming here. Players genuinely seem to like him. His staff and GM all seem to share in that sentiment and belief in each other. This does feel different, and to this point I can’t ask for anything more. Still have to see what happens on the field to buy fully in. I would think that’s the reasonable approach

2 Likes

Cam Akers is a stud but he was only healthy for about 4-5 games last year. Darrel Henderson behind him has breakaway ability too but also injured a lot the last 2 seasons. Rams have a zone blocking scheme that does get a lot of yards on the ground but lack the beef to impose the line of scrimmage.

Getting rid of their very good OL coach in favor of a college guy from Stanfurd feels like a major downgrade but we thought the same thing last year going from proven Wade Phillips to position coach Joe Staley and that turned out to be a huge upgrade…

Lot of unknowns here on how the OL will do. That is the key to any consistent offense right?

1 Like

We had an OC years ago (Linehan), and were quite successful with a crappy OL. under him, stafford had the second fastest release in the NFL (behind Manning). Used a lot of timing routes, screens, some misdirection. Even used some comeback routes deep, where Calvin could just outjump DBs.

If the OC does well, and the WRs don’t lead the league in drops, you guys could do awesome. So curious to see how this works out.

1 Like

Anyone catch the Matthew Stafford press conference? About 1:35 in or so he accidentally unmutes what sounds like Dan Campbell talking at the Goff press conference. Thought it was funny. He’s still following Detroit.

1 Like

Ya that was MC/DC talking about defining grit

1 Like

Hilarious! I really do think he left at the wrong time. He really would have a chance to win here.

1 Like

I know one thing … the Lions aren’t going to be a fun, easy team to play against like our defense was last year.
We are going to lose our share of games this year, but the other team will know it just played a football game.

2 Likes