Good recipes

On it!

One thing I did not realize is seaweed is sold in a dehydrated form so you have to rehydrate it and potentially cut it up (I think) I’ve never bought seaweed otherwise outside of the snack form

I have zero experience doing this so just telling you what I’ve read… but yeah. I really want to try to make it because every time I’ve gone to get sushi the first thing I order is a seaweed salad and miso soup.

Now miso soup… another thing I want to learn to make! Although I’ve seen a lot of instant miso soup or premade soup at the local grocery stores so that isn’t necessarily an issue if you don’t want to make it from scratch.

1 Like

Also- when I go Japanese, I Love squid salad (always has some seaweed in it too.

3 Likes

beef tongue and cheek in a slow cocker for 8 hrs. tacos with some onion and cilantro

1 Like

There is alot of cooking knowledge on this board so I hope you are soaking it in. But the best amateur cook hack I can give you if you just want some decent food without a super long wait, special equipment or extra steps is to use your oven…then the grill. When the wife and I want some ribs (for instance) but don’t want to spend a ton of time making them, we put them in the oven low and slow for 2-3 hours and then I throw them on the grill for roughly 10 minutes per side on high heat.

You can also play around with steaks, chicken and hamburgers using the same concept. I think some people call it a “reverse sear” at that point. Throw the meat into the oven to bring the meat up to temperature, but then throw it on the grill on high for a short period of time to get more of a grilled flavor to it.

3 Likes

Oh best believe I will be referencing this thread! Thank you for all the suggestions, and love hearing what others have made.

Feel free to keep them coming! Have a great 4th everyone! We’ll see how the beef ribs come out and hopefully they don’t resemble the Lions, i.e. tough and like biting off a kneecap!

My favorite recipe is Szechuan chicken. Haven’t found one at a restaurant that is as good as mine. When I would bring it to food day in Portland I use to have to tone it down. As a general rule of thumb people in the NW can’t handle spice.

2 Likes

Oooh, what did you use for spice?

It has hoisin sauce but the real spice is chili pepper flakes. The 1st time I brought it to work in Portland half the people about died. The other half loved it. When I tone it down there are still some that can’t handle it. Whimps

1 Like

I love Szechuan food. Kind of meh on most Cantonese food though.

1 Like

You can throw woodchips on a charcoal grill to mimic a smoker. If you’re doing ribs you should be following Johnny triggs recipe. His ribs are world class.

1 Like

That’s similar to how we serve our braised short ribs. We have a red wine demi with ours though. With fried parsnips on top.

2 Likes

Forget the seaweed salad. Cook quinoa and mix with red onion, tomatoes, fresh corn, avocado and lemon juice.

1 Like

Oh that sounds like a damn good salad! I will definitely try that out!

So I gotta say, the ribs came out pretty good! Fell off the bone, not tough… even though the grill was really cooking since we had a lot of food to make. I think the ice cubes in the tin foil helped. We put them in the oven for just a bit afterwards to finish them off. But the recipe didn’t steer me wrong (and I didn’t screw it up!)

Next up will be braising them! Really want to make that sauce @CuriousHusker. And the Szechuan chicken sounds damn good.

Never had beef tongue but would love to try!

And definitely making that quinoa dish @najacks !

You have to boil it to able peel off the membrane of the tongue. Not the most pleasant smell. I do get why people love beef tongue. Nothing I’ve had quite absorbs flavor like it does. I find the texture a bit off putting personally. Worth a try for sure.

1 Like

When it comes to saucing beef you can’t go wrong with Bordelaise

3 Likes

If you want to learn cool tips and tricks watch the show bbq pit masters. When they wrap their ribs in foil they usually put liquid margarine on them. Many also put brown sugar and bbq sauce. It keeps them moist while adding more flavor.

2 Likes

Ahh ok I will have to check that out! I have heard of bbq masters but have never watched. Thank you for the suggestion!

The ones I made had brown sugar in the dry rub, but instead of liquid margarine I put ice cubes in. Definitely doing liquid margarine/butter next time because, well butter.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

That may be a bit much for a casual cook. If you’re talking about saucing braised short ribs it’s much easier to just take red wine…reduce by 3/4 and add the strained braising liquid. Cook it down and thicken with a corn starch slurry.

If you’re talking about saucing a steak i’d Prefer to let the meat speak for itself. A simple compound butter if you’re looking to add flavor.

1 Like