Good recipes

I am experimenting tomorrow with beef short ribs on a charcoal grill. I’m following this recipe

I don’t have a smoker unfortunately. We’ll see how they turn out.

What are some good recipes for either this or any other things you like to make? How many experimental chefs are on this board??? Would love to hear some cool stuff.

My next challenge is seaweed salad…

2 Likes

Braise them

2 Likes

Ahhh yes. So that will be the next experiment. The more and more I’ve read is they need to be cooked long and slow (what she said) so even the way I’m doing it on the grill is gonna take 2 hours, it’s still an abbreviated process. We’ll see. I’ll report back whether or not they come out good! Thank you for the advice!

I like my short ribs with a bourbon peppercorn sauce.

Beef stock (use broth if you don’t have stock)
Shallots
Garlic
Brined peppercorns bourbon

If using beef broth got 2 cartons of low sodium beef broth. Reduce it down to what the French call au sec. should coat the back of the spoon. Set aside

Chop garlic. Mince shallots. In a cold pan with a little bit of olive oil (or clarified butter) sweat the shallots under low heat. Probably 4 minutes or so. Try not to brown. Your trying to sweat juice from the shallots out not sauté them. Thrown in garlic for another minute. Take pan off heat. Pour 1.5-2oz. Bourbon into the pan. Turn heat higher. Flambé the bourbon but don’t burn your house down. Add Demi-glacé (reduce stock or broth). Finish with 1 Tablespoon heavy cream. Strain. Add peppercorns and a couple drops of peppercorn brine.

It’s basically au Poivre sauce but the bourbon adds a candied note that cognac does not. Awesome on any beef dish.

3 Likes

Back when I had my restaurant a tv station did a cooking show episode with me making my version. If I can find it I’ll PM it to you. Goes over the ribs and the sauce. Think the episode is like 18 minutes.

1 Like

Oh man that would be awesome! Thank you and that sounds delicious!

I am very much an amateur cook but never afraid to try new things even if I screw them up. Getting a cast iron skillet changed my cooking life a couple years ago.

Would love to see it if you find it. Thank you!

That’s how we used to serve it.

1 Like

Holy heck that looks amazing

I do mine in the pressure cooker with red wine, beef broth, a tomato paste and seasonings. Comes out tender as hell. Significant shrinkage though. Beef short ribs have shot up on price recently. They used to be $7.99 at Costco then went to $10.99 and now are $13.99. For a few bucks more I’ll get tenderloin.

3 Likes

Oh man no kidding. For a 1.5lb pack which was basically 2 ribs it was about $10 at Kroger. So definitely not something I’m gonna do all the time, but when I do them I want to make them good!

Kinda like king crab legs except those you just steam and they come out good haha.

That’s a great suggestion as well thank you! Definitely appreciate the feedback.

Not to limit this to beef ribs, but what’s the craziest/experimental thing anyone has ever tried that came out good/bad?

not really experimental… but I have a beast of a smoker and like me some brisket.

4 Likes

Tomorrow I am smoking some Baby Backs on my Weber kettle. Using some Kinder Prime Rib prime rib rub for a dry rub, Smoke at about 240 for 2 hours spritz them with apple juice, apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire. Wrap in foil for a couple hours then sauce and finish off for about another hour. Hopefully they will be OK.

2 Likes

I dry rub mine, put in a baking dish, then cut onion rings and cover the ribs with them pretty liberally. Put foil over top and bake them on 250 for 6-8 hours. Then throw them on the grill, smother them with Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and crisp them up a bit.

1 Like

25 years ago Short Ribs were cheap as hell. Were practically an offal meat. They’ve become increasingly popular. But yes between shrinkage and trimming fat they’re really quite expensive per portion.

2 Likes

I definitely crisp mine back up as well. Usually the oven though. Crispy on the outside fork tender inside is the way to do it IMO.

2 Likes

So my mother in law makes some great pork ribs but doesn’t know how to do beef ribs. And my wife doesn’t like pork, which is fine (I guess) but anyway I wanted to make her some ribs.

Anyway, yeah, for the price now you can go the steak route or tenderloin route for better bang for your buck (and arguably easier and more tasteful to make).

For me it’s seasonal. Right now give me filet mignon or a Ribeye on the grill. Or maybe some smoked brisket with burnt ends. But winter give me a braised dish. Good pot roast on a cold winter day is one of my favorite things in the world. Even when it was my mom’s sh!tty pot roast.

2 Likes

I love this stuff, and would love to make it at home.
Please tag me in the post (that’s what she said), when you post the recipe!

1 Like

So I have a recipe I just have to go to the store and get it! There’s an Asian market near me in Ypsi I will check out. It’s not easy to find seaweed without it being roasted or as snacks!

Anyway here is what I’m gonna go by when I make it, but if anyone has better suggestions by all means let us know!

1 Like