Goodbye SI

Laying off half the staff. Just a matter of time. That would be the end of an era

Depressing. Makes me feel old. What was your favorite cover?

1 Like

I was 14 years old

3 Likes

Haha! Yours is better than mine. Bill Laimbeer looks horrible in a bikini.

2 Likes

Okay, so I’m a little biased :grin:

5 Likes

They want to replace them with freelancers.

AKA, we don’t want to pay for healthcare or retirements anymore, and can pivot to clickbait bullshit like anyone else on the cheap.

Sad.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Mercy!

1 Like

I had a subscription in high school. I have no idea how I got it, maybe a gift? The idea that somebody wrote a check (maybe an uncle?) and mailed it to them is so weird now that I think about it. They had actual writers then.

1 Like

Had a script from '77 through late '90s. Remember '77 because it was my first paycheck.

1 Like

I remember I was so pumped, I got the football telephone with my sub. My friends were so jealous.

When is the last time anybody bought an SI? Just curious. I haven’t in ages.

Media is changing.

I do subscribe to The Athletic though and find it well worth the price. I hope some of these guys can catch on there.

3 Likes

That damn intraweb killed it.

When is the last time anybody bought an SI? Just curious. I haven’t in ages.

After the Pistons won it. When was that 02? 03?
[/quote]

Yep, it’s all Al Gore’s fault!:crazy_face:

It was 2004. Then they got back to the finals in 2005 but lost game 7 to the Spurs.

The thing I remember most about it was the offers. I subscribed a few times just to get the lion season video yearbook. Remember those? At some point, ESPN started to run them and I taped them and dumped SI. I actually got sporting news more than SI when I was out of state and pre-internet as they had better football info weekly. But lord, the video’s, the football phones, all the other crap they gave with subscriptions.

I hope there is a heaven some day so I can tell Sparky and all of the Tigers what they meant to me and my life in 1984. They brought me an immense amount of joy.
I will never, ever, come close to having another year like 1984. That year was magical. Everything I touched turned to gold.

1 Like

Best ever and my first celebrity crush! She was dating my favorite NBA player at the time too!