Grading Round 1

Hutchinson’s high floor and relentless pursuit make him both a safe pick, a promising pick, and a culture fit. It also gives him an instant fanbase and gives Michigan fans something else to cheer about at every Lions game. So, even that PR angle was smart (or lucky). Either way. A+

Jameson Williams high floor and high ceiling would have made him a brilliant pick if not for his torn ACL, giving up #32, him playing primarily out of the slot, and weighing just a buck 79. This was Brad Holmes gambling on talent and recovery. There’s a lot of risk and a significant cost in this pick. But I gave him points for choosing a guy that Aaron Rodgers had his eye on. B+

The staff drafted the guy who was ranked #1 overall until last week and the guy who was the most electric WR in college last year. They [disguised their interest in Williams masterfully] (Jameson Williams had no clue who coached Detroit Lions after 2022 NFL Draft selection). In a draft class that was deep at both positions they apparently got the best players. A

Overall, that’s an A for tonight.
I remain really confident about Lions’ coaches and Brad Holmes. That’s my honest take. Curious what you Lion-Lovers think.

4 Likes

I grade 'em out higher than you do. :wink:
Hutch was best available. I hope he can be an impact player, not just a good role player. I think his effort and drive will get him there. Best pick available at that spot, so it was an A decision.

Williams has no ceiling. Only way he fails is injury. I think Chase is the closest comp to him. Dude will be the fastest guy on the football field almost every week. He consistently outruns people…even people who have taken a great angle of pursuit. This dude is an assassin that will change games, change the scoreboard, and change the way teams defend us. A

5 Likes

We can agree :wink:

5 Likes

I hope your prediction of him is right @BigNatty and he’s not a guy who plays this season on a bad ankle and never really returns to form.

1 Like

A- Both players were the best at their positions and badly needed. A (minus) for the ACL, but I feel the kid will make full recovery and no need to rush him back on the field.

Dam, what nice draft so far.

And if they had taken Thibs it would still be an A-. Both are fine players. Just preferred Hutch because he seems like a better fit in Detroit.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.