Hamilton and Lloyd

@Thats2 what’s your opinion of Domann?

I dig Smith too and totally agree that his upside is through the roof. I actually think he played better in '20 but :man_shrugging:. The idea of he and Barnes is enticing as in three decades we’ve never had a LB’er group with that type of athleticism.

Check out J.J. Domann too. I think he fits the Anzalone role well.

I’m not 100% sure I agree on that assessment.

Is he the terror Parsons is off the edge? Of course not. Anyone who predicted 13-15 sacks for Parsons please provide a cut and paste of that post.

D Lloyd had 22 TFL and 8 sacks this year… basically Thibz pass rushing stats…. Parsons has 6.5 sacks and TFL in 2 years?

He came to school as a safety, proved to be best rusher on the team as a sophomore from ILB!!!

Had his 2020 not been cut short by PAC 10- he’d have had back to back seasons with 20 plus tfl and 6 plus sacks.

He worked on his zone drops this past offseason, and managed 4 picks.

Ok. Agree to disagree. Parsons was the #1 edge in HS for a reason.

I’m not sure they like the little coverage backers “better” are I just Barnes is in over his head.

I’m sure they’d find a place for Bobby Wagner or Patrick Willis. Lol

Devin Lloyd is 6’3” and 237 without his frame maxed. I read he ran a 4.52 in the off-season.

He was a safety in high school and has the #2 coverage grade amongst all lbers in the country and #2 overall grade. When you consider his 22 tfl and 8 sacks, and was on pace for that roughly last year as well, and close to that his first year…

I don’t know what’s not to like.

I do value your prospect insight, but I really like this kid… a lot.

I’m pretty all in on Dean as well. He feels like a stouter JOK type.

Couple things to remember…

1. Having such a high pick, a GM that intrigues us still, and 2 picks has us all more into this draft than any I remember.

2. There was no combine last year, and thus many of the “underwear Olympic” numbers from last year could have been a bit juiced by hot pro day guns.

3. Guys who balled out in 19’, but sat out in 20’ seemed to keep their places in rankings, but then everyone who played and produced added more “name recognition” to last year.

I bet Lloyd and Dean are both gone by #18

2 Likes

Wouldn’t mind Damone Clark lb he’s a beast

1 Like

I like Jo Jo.

If you recall I was a big Jabril Cox fan last year. They are similar players. However I think Cox showed more range than Jo Jo and I think Cox has a legitimate shot at being a 3 down LBer. Cox was just raw and needs time to develop.

Jo Jo doesn’t appear to have the physical traits that Cox did. At least he doesn’t show it on the field from what little I’ve saw of him. I’m really looking forward to seeing him in the senior bowl and getting a closer look at him.

My initial feelings are that he’s going to be a role player in the NFL. Probably play as a cover LBer in sub packages.

Smith is a starting caliber LBer with 3 down potential.

Jo Jo doesn’t appear to be a 3 down starter to me. I see a role and ST player. But I like him.

I know. I just didn’t see it fully translate at PSU… same as I wouldn’t be shocked to see Thibz blow up and have 11-13 sacks as a rookie, but wouldn’t be shocked if he struggled when his speed rush doesn’t consistently work.

The plays when Thibz flashes, he looks un-blockable, but then how does he not end up with even one 10 plus sack season in college?

Interested in your thoughts on these guys.

N Dean
D Clark
J Brisker
D Bell
Zachary Carter
McCreary
J Dotson

Hutch/Thibs
Lloyd
Hill/Brisket

or

Hamilton
Lloyd
WR leftovers

Though I am looking for maximum beans at this point.

Yeah. I have no idea why I called him J.J. In multiple threads. Long day I guess. Domann has been one of the best athletes on the roster during offseason

Do you like Dean or McCreary?

I kept trying to explain to people just how good Parsons was in the box and off the edge pre draft. While some posters kept calling him “just an off the ball LBer”. Those same posters were claiming off the ball LBers weren’t worthy of such a high draft pick and that Parsons didn’t have the pass rush skills to go high round one. I argued otherwise more than any.

There were a few of us who thought Parsons had a Von Miller type of sack potential. But I don’t think any of us thought the team that drafted him would use him this much off the edge. He’s such a complete LBer I expected him to be used more as a versatile chess piece.

A sleeper poor man’s Parsons in this draft is James Houston. The kid has amazing pass rush potential and could be had in the later rounds. He played at FLorida and transferred to Jackson State and was put out on the edge where he excelled.

But make no mistake. Loyd isn’t close to the LBer or pass rusher that Parsons is.

In my opinion Loyd isn’t a lock to go round one. He probably will because of his pass rusher abilities but he’s lacking otherwise. He’s no Devin White or Roquan Smith. To be honest I’m concerned his game won’t translate as well. I have way more concerns about Loyd than I have other similar LBers like him in recent years. I like his upside and I think he’s a legitimate round one candidate but I don’t think he’s a lock to go round one. I hope he lands on a blitz heavy team where his pass rush skills can be best utilized.

1 Like

I respect your opinion.

I don’t see it the same though obviously. I think many of the mock drafts and scouting reports I read
fail to make sense also.

He only played 5 games last year due to his conference schedule with Covid so his numbers overall weren’t gaudy, but per game they definitely were.

He excels in coverage mostly likely given he was a safety in HS… and punter. He’s added 46 pounds to his frame in his career at Utah.

Had Utah played a 12-13 games schedule last year- it’s beyond likely that Lloyd would have amassed 310 plus tackles… 50 plus TFL… 20 plus sacks…6 plus ints and 10 plus PDs.

He’s expected to run in the 4.5 range with prototypical size…

His NFL comps are D Leonard and Lavonte David…. I see more L David and with more size and better potential as a blitzer.

Strange when scouting reports say mid to late first, likely to have a pro bowl career in his future.

Anyone likely to make pro bowls shouldn’t fall outside the top 10-12 should they?

I love him in coverage, he certainly fits the bill as a modern day linebacker and he seems like someone Glenn might like to work with. And he holds his own at the point of attack and as a tackler better than you’d expect from a safety convert. I mostly agree with the Werner comps.

My biggest problem with him is his age, he’ll be 25 before next season starts. There’s FAs who are younger. That definitely knocks him down a few rounds for me.

The flip side is that while you lose upside you might maximize the value of that first contract as he’s pretty much ready to go.

His pass rushing is underrated as well.

He is a little injury prone though and plays in a way that suggests that will continue.