Hard Knocks Episode 2 Comments

They ain’t Barry. No one is Barry but Barry. As good as the backs are, they still need holes.

1 Like

As the resident communication-obsessed poster, I have to comment on a couple things.

1. Shep. He lamented that a coach in 5 years hasn’t seen what he’s seeing from Rodgrigo. He’s tried to get it out of them, but he hasn’t. They’re all in the same meeting room, yet this 6th rounder is showing up and playing like he’s coached to play. He (Shep) made that personal by declaring that he hadn’t seen it in 5 years as a coach on that team. He’s allowed to do that, even in the critical manner he’s doing it toward the others. He’s earned it and has pleaded with the vets to get it in gear. He turned up the heat very directly without making it an all-out ultimatum. Linebusy approved.

2. MCDC letting off when he was talking about what he can’t tolerate (people disinterested and disrespectful of their teammates clawing for a roster spot). He had it in him to hammer the point harder and more emphatically, but let up with a smile trusting that they got the point. Knowing when to hold back sometimes is the difference between making a point and becoming Charlie Brown’s teacher. I thought he did a great job with that, naturally.

3. I’m not really a fan of Staley either, but I thought he did well. Swift needs some tough love. If Staley can’t instill a bit of dog into Swift, then he’s just going to go down as another in a looooooooong list of 2nd round failures.

11 Likes

I respect Swift, because I think he’s worked really hard, and built himself up into a pretty solid back. He has also been an above average receiver out of the backfield. That takes effort, and reps.

However, I don’t see the natural gifts of vision, or a ton of juice as a big play threat. That’s where my respect comes from … I think he’s made a lot out of what he was given.

I like that Staley wants more from him. I get it. But I think we will find that Swift can be a ‘good’ player, but not really ‘best in the league’ type juice that Staley is hoping for.

3 Likes

This part actually made me laugh watching hard knocks though because Shep was a linebacker on the Lions within the past 5 years, which means he couldn’t do it either. lol

3 Likes

I like Swift but I’m going to have to see a MASSIVE improvement to justify paying him top running back money. I just don’t think paying big for a running back is a great investment.

Swift really can be as good as he wants to be. But thus far he definitely prefers to avoid contact.

3 Likes

What I see is Swift’s relationship with Swift (himself).
Instead of being grateful for the feedback, or even getting a little pissed and having a “watch this shit” attitude on the next play, Swift is having a more defeatist energy, and feeling like “I can’t win.” His inner child wants to be celebrated for his TD.

Staley is trying to activate warrior energy from within him.

It may eventually work. Time will tell.
Swift is not the natural warrior that J.Williams (RB) is.

3 Likes

Yes, you misread the situation.

2 Likes

I like the way shep called out the vets. He was giving props to Rodrigo while also calling for the other guys to be better.

It seems like Duce and Swift don’t have a great relationship. I think swift needs to be pushed… but he doesn’t seem to respond well to Duces approach. I think a good coach would shift his approach to get through. But it’s a 2 way street and the way multiple coaches have talked about swift (not toughing out through soreness, hurt vs injured, missing too much practice time, etc) and seeing his body language… I’m not sure he’s very coachable. I think swift has some elite traits… but he’s kind of only flashed them. He was the same in college. Just never seemed consistent or dependable. It still burns me that Quinn took him over Jonathan Taylor… Taylor was such an obvious talent…

3 Likes

Yea I was just rewatching some of the game. You can see if from the first play. The Oline got a big push and opened a lane. Swift should at least have got four yards if he hits his hole. He hesitates and runs himself right into a defender for a loss

4 Likes

That’s what Duce was telling him. It’s not that there weren’t holes. It’s that he wasn’t seeing the holes.
There’s a certain amount of patience involved. You have to be able to see a hole that hasn’t opened up, yet.
If he needs instant holes, or, if this offensive line can’t give him the holes he needs, he’s a second stringer.

3 Likes

I hate giving RB’s 2nd contracts as well. But, let’s not get ahead of ourselves here with paying him. He’s under contract for 2 more years still and we could franchise him if he’s really playing at a high level for a 3rd year of team control.

This is his prove it year to me, especially if this O-line stays healthy. That’s why Duce is trying to bring the Dog out of him.

3 Likes

-I love Blough’s wife, and I love their relationship. I can tell he’s really good to her. She’s suuuuch a sweetie.
-I LOVE RA! …Hence forth into battle rode the SUNGOD!
-I am getting more faith in Hutch with each milliliter of information I get on him. He’s gonna be better than I thought. LOVE that MF’r.
-Rodrigo is gonna be a nice starter, maybe a very good one…

YES! There are some definite components of authenticity to it, but it can be more…more connected with himself and the players. As long as his intentions continue to be pure, he’ll continue to grow and learn.

Yup - he’s hard wired to be a massive dog! Him throwing downfield blocks do spring Jamo and Swift…tha’ts what I see. LOL

5 Likes

All great points man. :beers:

2 Likes

Yup! sure did!
Deuce is trying to not only coach him to do the right thing, but to get the warrior ienergy awake in him as well. It doesn’t appear to be working so far.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of what I was thinking.

Like…I know millennials and younger generations are a bit different. Staley’s approach works great in 1986 on a Parcells coached team.

Does it work in 2022? Maybe? Yes? I’m just not sure is the truth. Some of the younger players, which I guess they all are at this point, just might not respond very well to that.

I’m not saying Staley is wrong or anything I just wonder if it’s the best way to get through. If I’m the coach and I pick up on that I might try to get into Swift’s head differently? Not sure.

What’s the best way to teach and motivate someone that isn’t a natural warrior?

1 Like

Sometimes we focus on the critique, rather than the sentiment behind it. Duce told him several times that he wants him to be the best, because he’s capable of being the best.
I think Duce believes that. I’m not sure Dre does.

7 Likes

I wanted Taylor pretty badly…same thoughts.

1 Like

Campbell addressed Duce and Swift in today’s press conference. Said that Swift has thick skin and wants to be better.

Said it’s very important for coaches to know when to push and when to back off. Great to hear he knows that line and will expect his coaches to as well.

I think Duce is trying to get the best out of Swift much like Pleasant was with Okudah last season.

Swift lacks confidence and Staley is trying to get it out of him. This might be a forever issue. If Swift can’t change his ways, teams will know to always play him outside and he will forever be a 3rd and long down back.

Personally the Lions have Reynolds and Williams to play smash mouth running and I’d save Swift for the second half as a change of pace. I feel like Duce is kind of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole as I don’t think Swift has the mentality or health to be an every down bell cow between the tackles. I’d rather him come and lightning past defenses after 40 minutes of thundering them with Williams and Reynolds.

3 Likes

Switch sports to ping pong, haha I kid.

1 Like

Blough was my favorite storyline for sure. I feel like they are setting him up cosmically to either make the team over Boyle (Campbell said in his presser today that Blough will be running the 2s for now), OR Blough will need to come in for a 2 minute drive to win the game and he will be ready. It’s written in the stars now.

2 Likes