Has The Pendulum Swung Too Far In The Valuation Of QBs?

When the Lions were negotiating to extend Calvin Johnson’s contract, the loudest Densters–it seemed to me–were willing to give him anything he wanted. I thought, and I think I wrote at the time, that winning CJ with a huge contract could come at the cost of winning as a team.

Elite QB play is very valuable and will be paid very well. No problemo. But are we approaching or have we passed the point where huge QB contracts are generally detrimental to the team? Are enough GMs like giddy buyers at time share presentations and paying/valuing way too much in the QB crapshoot–so that real value should be sought elsewhere?

Is it obvious that I’m for riding with Goff until real value falls reasonably close to Holmbell’s lap? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I personally think that the pool of good and elite QBs will be commonly flooding the college football landscape like WRs have in recent years. In my view, 2022 QB crop was an anomaly, and 2023 and 2024 crops are the norm for the future.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.