'He Loses Focus': Bill Belichick Critiques Terrion Arnold

Bill needs to come back to where he started and teach AG how it’s done for a year

1 Like

And remind me of how many pro bowlers Bill and the Pats drafted in like the last 10 years?

I thought he was awesome.

That being said, he’s a coach. He’s going to find something critical of every guy in his evals and he literally did. Arnold wasn’t the only one, he said for every prospect two good things, and two bad things.

2 Likes

Belichick had been the defensive mastermind for 2 Super Bowl wins before Brady even enrolled at U of M.

The Giants were 1st and 2nd in scoring defense the 2 seasons they won Super Bowls with Belichick as DC.

The Pats held the Greatest Show on Turf to 17 points… which was one of the greatest Super Bowl defensive efforts ever.
Then again… the Pats surrendered over 17 points only 5 times in 19 games that year… while Brady averaged less than 200 yards per game all year… and in playoffs as well.

And… even when Brady couldn’t score more than 13 points against the McVay Rams… Belichick’s defense held them to 3 points.
The 2018 Rams scored 23 or more points in every game but 1 until the Super Bowl… and that was against the #1 defense in Chicago on a very cold and windy night game.

Belichick may have had Brady help him win 6 Super Bowls…

but Brady also had Belichick to help him win 6 Super Bowls.

4 Likes

He’s not completely wrong, this was one of the knocks on Arnold coming into the year. I suspect it was at fault for his mini-drop.

But he improved dramatically this year in this respect. Night and day. Still not perfect, no, but he’s still so young, you would definitely bet on him continuing to improve. The trajectory is up, up, up.

And he has some much else going for him I’m not worried at all.

2 Likes

I’ll take Saban’s word, at this point.

Hopefully Arnold hears this and it’s chip material

1 Like

Word

2 Likes

I’m not worried about it. He doesn’t have to worry about school anymore. He also has teammates like branch. They’ll get him dialed in. I doubt they’ll have to though. This kid seems like he’ll figure it out quickly.

1 Like

I wonder what the “chirpiness” of are DBs will be like with the additions of Arnold and Rake. Man that will possibly be the most intense battle of the offseason right now and I’m loving it. It’s actually really scary when you look back at what we had at CB last year and we STILL made it to the NFC championship game.

Just pointing out that it’s rare for a rookie to come in and be a difference maker at the CB position. Not saying it’s not possible, but there is usually a learning curve at that spot. Remember Slay’s rookie year? CB can come with a learning curve is all.

2 Likes

Lions have 4 starters before the draft with trade a FA signing an Branch, Moseley,Davis an Robinson have all been starters in NFL. We just added two younger ones in draft who can be used as they develop.
Moseley is oldest at 28 an has not played for couple years just few games. Now if he gets back he is very good starting CB when he played for 49rs. That group is not counting Gilmore who they kept on roster all last season

I’m not saying you’re wrong, and I agree BB was a great defensive mind (except when he let his ego get in the way), but during his Giants years he had the best defensive player to ever play (and completely change) the game in LT.

Bellichick benefited from lucking into some transcendent talent over his career. The same could probably be said of all Super Bowl winning coaches, but when you’re tossing the genius/GOAT label around with BB, it’s important to remember that.

He loses focus. But is he better than Sutton or Kindle?

1 Like

Belichick finished 15th last year in scoring defense, better than the Lions, with 2 of his top corners injured, 2022 1st team All Pro Marcus Jones, and Christian Gonzalez who was probably going to win DROY until he went down. He’s a defensive genius, no question. He’s not a great GM though.

1 Like

Bill would be a great culture fit here too :roll_eyes:

I tried to read this thread but I lost focus…

Office Monkey GIF

200w-3