Hendon Hooker riding the (almost) rookie roller coaster

I have faith in this kid. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and seems willing to put in the work. It’s almost better for the Lions that he’s not looking like a pro-ready starter in camp because it gives both parties time for growth and development. If he looked like a star in camp, then the question becomes how can they hold him back. I think he’ll be fine. And will become a tradeable asset once he’s ready to step into starter competition here or elsewhere. I think he will.

2 Likes

Believe it or not they actually were better in 2023 than 2022. We still sucked but we allowed almost 300 less yards to qb’s.

2022 - 700 yards rushing for qb’s
2023 - 419 yards allowed to qb’s

We were still bottom 5. But we were dead last by a quarter mile in 2022.

3 Likes

I’m not sensitive at all. Not in the slightest. I’m just being perspicacious and hopefully giving you something to reflect on.

This reminds me don’t play scramble with Air. :laughing:

4 Likes

I contribute some of that to the LBer play. I felt the LBer play was improved and is improving. Having some consistency on the IDL will also help. I’d like to believe that number will continue to improve but Mobile QB’s have been a real issue for the defense and should be a focal point for improvement.

Hookers athletic talents should help the Lions prepare. He’s no Lamar Jackson but he can definitely run read option plays effectively and give our defense a challenge.

2 Likes

I would have to go back and look, but that seems way low to me. Fields twice and Lamar once is probably 200-250 alone.

Just checked, there were a lot of games where QBs didn’t get much at all, but quite a few games they really hurt us.

2 Likes

My memory is that it wasn’t always the quantity but more the timing

1 Like

Hooker is exactly what he’s supposed to be, so far.

Chill out, my brothers. He’s going to outperform what 95% of you are thinking he’ll do. You cats just aren’t used to being in the Dan Campbell zone yet.

1 Like

Ah, I now see that you feel that’s what you are doing. That’s good enough for me.

Love ya bud… but I aint lying. I joke around a lot but when I provide evidence it’s 99 percent accurate :wink:

1 Like

If we are going to play a ton of man then QB run will be a challenge. That’s one of the sacrifices of taking that approach.

1 Like

Again I did say we improved a ton…close to 300 yards better. Don’t be cherry picking Curious… I was trying to be positive.

Branch helped a ton. A nickel that can tackle like a linebacker… huge add he was. :laughing:

I’m trying to be positive too. I’m the guy in the Metallica shirt.

GIF beavis and butthead - GIF animado en GIFER - de Rainweaver

2 Likes

Beavis is Dan Campbell without the steroids… lol

Beavis And Butthead Yes GIF by Paramount+

Prove me wrong!

2 Likes

It could very well be coach Dan. This was him moments before he didn’t punt.
13 September 2022: tushkan_blog — LiveJournal

2 Likes

Exactly… it aint easy being Beavis

Branch definitely was a factor.

Containment is the responsibility of our entire front 7 and everyone must play their part. It is definitely a front 7 failure but I felt last year the weak link was the IDL. How many times did a QB escape for chunk yards by running up the middle of our defense.

Having Reader eating up space in the middle should help in that aspect.

But our LBer play and Branch did a better job of getting to the play quicker. If that continues to improve then hopefully it won’t be such a leak link for us.

3 Likes