Herbert named Chargers starter going forward

I would have been happy with Herbert not playing one down his first year in Detroit. He could have sat behind Stafford this year then we dump Stafford next year. I reiterate Okudah was a wasted pick. The guy isn’t even playing and I predicted we won’t make big difference until year 3.

1 Like

No.
1st- he was the 24th pick in the draft, not exactly #3.
2nd-he is a QB. That is the one position that teams can afford to not play a super high draft pick ASAP.
3rd- how do you know he wouldn’t have been ready had he been given the starting job right out of college?
When you are picked #3 overall at a defensive position on a team that has just given away their best player at that spot, you should be able to walk in and start and play relatively decent.

I agree , Herbert would have been a stellar pick & he is a potential future Franchise QB it is always a high value pick …

Okudah as a wasted pick is nonsense . The best CB in this Draft was selected . Would we be sitting here any differently had we selected Simmons or Brown or even Henderson ?

How does one deem a #3 selection a wasted pick 3 games into his career for any player at any position ?

1 Like

He did not “earn” the starting job to make it clear to those thinking otherwise…

Feelin’ for tyrod

Why would any coach bench your # 1 pick who has been playing great just because someone else couldn’t play?
Herbert seized the job when given a chance.

1 Like

Every where tyrod has recently played the incumbent has beat him out.

That’s not the relevant point - that was the past and has no baring on him taken out of the starting job and you know that brother…

Read the article - a lung injury and then the following investigation where they “put him on hold”

1 Like

Sad what happen to Tyrod in terms of injury. However, the fact of the matter is he’s a journey QB. Again, every where he has been the incumbent as beat him out i.e. Buffalo and Cleveland. Its no coincidence those QBs are leading their clubs respectfully

And it’s no coincidence that all the teams that Tyrod is on is drafting QB’s high in the draft.

He is the newer version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He’s respectable, but he isn’t going to win you many games.

1 Like

And he was 1-0… winning is what count and in his one and only start this yr: game won… his stats weren’t great but he won; the doc punctured his lung and is now out … not because of his past performances … but another persons mistake… and then the NFL decided to put I there two cents that he not play anymore until after the investigation…

For those wanting judge a person by their past, not current, actions… you doing it wrong… if that were that was the case Kurt Warner should have never been asked to leave the grocery store as a bagger…

Tyrod was not a failure this yr: the stupid doctor was

Taylor just doesn’t have the skill set to be a top notch starting QB in the NFL. He is a great backup and spot starter.

Not debating his skill set level… it’s about why he is not starting now…

Doctors fault not his current performance…

You can debate it all you want, but Herbert took advantage of his opportunity when he got in there. Taylor didn’t play that well in his first game against Cincy, and it was only a matter of time before Herbert took over. But there is no way you can set Herbert on the bench. Herbert has a 102 QB rating. You aren’t going to send your first round draft pick to the bench for a journeyman QB. That would be something the Lions would do.

Then they should have let the rookie start to begin with - from your point of view it was then a poor choice by leadership in the first place.

They made him the starter and a doctor blew out his lung - not his fault thru his performance.

If they go 2-3 or he doesn’t get better stay wise (I agree his game where he won! His percentage was low) but he won…

We whine here about canning Matt as we don’t win and now you say it’s ok to can someone even if they are winning? Double standards my friend

This benching was not his fault - period.

Bad luck, and bad management choices imho

Wish them both luck… God always gives us a message in the mess if we slowdown and just listen and be willing to act on it!

Have a blessed day my friends!!

Where did I say any of that?
Why was it a poor choice by management? The plan was to have Taylor start until they felt Herbert was ready to play. He was pressed into service before management’s timeline and played much better than Taylor would ever have played.
I am rereading my post and can’t find anywhere that I mentioned Matt Stafford? Why does everything have to come back to Stafford? This topic has nothing to do with Stafford, yet you find a need to mention him in here somehow, like because I think Herbert is playing well it has to be some kind of slight on Stafford. The NFL world doesn’t revolve around Stafford.

Taylor was only ever going to be a bridge QB. It isn’t poor management at all. What are they supposed to do? Bench a guy who has been playing as well as anyone in the NFL for a journeyman QB who happened to be injured through no fault of his own? Sorry, but the NFL doesn’t work they way you want it to. It doesn’t matter if the benching was his fault or not. The NFL is based on meritocracy. If you are the better player, you are going to get the playing time.

Guess I am not sure exactly what your argument is. Is it that the benching wasn’t his fault? Ok.
But no HC that wants to remain employed is going to bench their #1 draft pick who has been playing as well as any QB in the league over the last 3 weeks for a journeyman QB who didn’t play particularly well the one week he played. The skill level the two possess is not even close.

1 Like

That’s not what happened.

1 Like

If I was Tyrod I would be so pissed with the Chargers organization

2 Likes

Wes are you saying he wasn’t beat out in Buffalo and Cleveland? I will rephrase it like this, it was how Allen and Mayfield played that supplanted Tyrod to the bench. The same can be said for Herbert; he did an excellent job of ceasing the moment

Hmmm, this is a lions forum. I think? Right?

Many here, slam him, as they slam tyrod. Using side feet standard to come to the same outcome… I see the parable perfectly.