Here is why the NIL changes are a good thing

I really don’t give a shit about the Trevor Lawrence’s or Zion Williamson’s of the world making an extra 100k on a shoe deal before they go pro. More power to them, but below is story about who is really going to benefit from this… the people who won’t be making millions of dollars to play a sport.

1 Like

Ehhhh, using the exception (hs athletes w millions of tik tok followers) to prove the rule isn’t real solid ground for addressing the downsides.

Those downsides though are taking on less of a weight since we have essentially dispensed with the idea of amateur athletics in general at any level as a society as well as embraced gambling at every possible moment as well.

Let’s just have the NCAA pay the athletes directly in weed shop gift cards and discount codes for FanDuel at this point.

1 Like

1 Like

This was the part that we all knew was coming and it’s going to be a game changer in college athletics. Schools were never going to be hands off in the NIL game and marketing opportunities will be a part of the recruiting process. And we all know schools are going to forge partnerships with companies as packages they can sell to kids. “Come to Austin and we can guarantee you a commercial spot for X company at Y amount of dollars.”

Tweet from Texas on their “leverage program.”

Honestly it may be the one thing that saves Michigan football from total futility. Whatever else, we still got the brand baby! Eventually, some combination of corporate sponsors and big money donors will lead to not being a total embarrassment. Maybe. Just like Fielding Yost imagined!

And if you complain about getting a raw deal because you are a stupid 18 year old that knows zip about contracts and residuals and arbitration clauses, and the U and their Marketing Package Partner are Gigantic Behemoth Sharks, well, you’ll just get yelled at and punched, then roundly ignored…just like Bo handled things!

1 Like

Saturday Night Live Nbc GIF

You nailed part of the reality the reality.

Hey he’ll treat you like his own son!

2 Likes

I think it potentially really helps Nebraska. Only game in town. Fan base that spends an unusual amount of their disposable income on college football. I’d think that they’re an ideal candidate to leverage lucrative local/regional marketing opportunities into an uptick in recruiting.

1 Like