Higbee torn ACL

Agreed.

Definitely not an illegal hit; indeed, he was still trying to catch the ball when hit.

Man, it’s tough, at the beginning you’re told to go for the legs and tackle low and thats what db’s should do but this is the 2nd knee that Kerby has gotten this year.

1 Like

100%

As it stands, the play was legal. The problem is the 180-200 lb DBs hitting a 240-250 lb guy low at the point of the catch while planted. If they can’t hit them low, and have to hit them square at the point of the catch that’s one thing. However, take away that low-hit option and now they are forced to hit them square after the catch and run, and the DBs will run a greater risk of injury when the TE lowers a shoulder on them. It’s hard to find a balance.

I cannot believe that people have an issue with Kerby on either of these hits. Stafford put Higbee in an IMPOSSIBLE spot.

Beyond that, they’re both textbook tackles against a bigger player. Anyone who says otherwise literally has never stepped on a football field.

1 Like

The players would rather you hit them high rather than go for the low shot.

But the rules are the rules

I think it’s bc the speed and violence. Missile straight to the knee. But it’s legal. :man_shrugging:

Actually, the low hit is more dangerous in some ways but what can players do, that’s just the risk of playing football. If they outlaw low and high hits, where can they hit them? In the groin? Then players will be flagged for nut shots. You just know the low hit will be outlawed soon enough too at some point, not just on QBs.

I played football for 10 years

I was an “all-state” selection

Played for a Coach who was top 10 all-time in US history in win total (High school)

That was a terrible tackle by Kerby Joseph, and it’s not the first time I screamed at Kerby watching a tackle of his.

You have the entire thigh-hip-stomach-chest-shoulder areas to aim for. Kerby torpedoed right into Higsbee’s knees. It’s an incredibly high risk tackle.

Obviously there are different opinions on this hit…but I will die on this hill.

Maybe the 6 titanium screws holding my neck together give me a skewed opinion on how to tackle a ball carrier?

4 Likes

No doubt, he could’ve done it differently, but given the speed of the pro game and the players, it was literally a bang bang type play.

2 Likes

Go back and watch the rams DB make the exact same play on Laporta along the sidelines. Laporta has to make an agile move to save his leg and is forced out of bounds as a result.

Those low hits from DBs are currently part of the game. It’s not a Kirby thing, it’s a league wide thing. Hopefully we will see that play I am referring to when the slow lights come out or maybe someone here has the skills to be able to post it.

The NFL has prioritized high hit penalties and that is the result. I’ll bet you the players would rather trade the high hits for the low hits in a New York minute.

1 Like

Tell Stafford to quit throwing hospital balls. Kenny Golloday would agree with me. If that ball accurately hits Higbee, that hit never happens.

How would you know if I have played football? Keyboard warrioring with a condescending response. I have played football and know it’s a legal hit as of now and I mentioned in my comment I recognize it as legal. New rules get incorporated that mess with the Lions and wouldn’t be surprised if they make this illegal in the future as Kerby has taken out 2 TEs 3 weeks.

Frankly, i put those injuries on the QB’s more than anyone…

The rule is prefect the way it is. If players don’t want to have their knees taken out they need to have a conversation with their coaches and QB’s about crossing routes and when/when not to throw them.

Man to man coverage with a trailing defender = throw it.

Zone coverage with a waiting defender(s) = don’t throw it.

I wonder if the players were less at risk before the new rules came into play bc QB’s knew they’d get their guy killed and didn’t throw these balls as frequently as they do today.

Collinsworth said this exact thing on the broadcast–players want the low hits gone more.

It’s legal now. It won’t be sooner than later. League will argue that above the knees up to the neck is plenty of space to make a tackle.

Yes he did, literally said if you asked the players they would take the high hits being legal over the lower ones.

1 Like

Exactly how this will play out.

If I’m a 265 pound TE yes please don’t let that 190 pound DB hit me low. Make them try and hit me in the shoulder. No offense but at some point let’s just take tackling out of the game.

I hate seeing guys injured but at what point is it a different game than what was played 10 years ago. Brady is right when he said QBs today don’t have to think about getting a receiver killed. Just throw it up and if the DB lays your guy out it’s a penalty.