History not in favor of 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl aspirations

https://www.nfl.com/news/history-not-in-favor-of-49ers-head-coach-kyle-shanahan-s-super-bowl-aspirations

1 Like

One of these is not like the others…

“Since 2010, the 49ers have advanced to seven conference title games, the most in the NFC. However, they’re 3-4 in those seven games with zero Super Bowl victories to show for it. In that same timeframe, the Patriots and Chiefs are the only other teams to make six or more trips to the championship round, with each franchise claiming three Super Bowl crowns in that span.“

1 Like

Soon they will all have one thing in common…getting their ass handed to them by the lions

1 Like

I recall us saying that if this type of record were to be produced by us, we would die happy……

We are on our way but hopefully with a SB to boot this year!!

3 Likes

It’s an interesting topic as does Kyle melt in big moments? We talk about QBs doing it all the time. Coaches can as well.
You can add that Atlanta Falcons choke job in the SB to the Patriots on Kyle’s record as he was running the offense.

For a long time with the eagles, Reid would always melt in the playoffs. Since joining the Chiefs and getting Mahomes that doesn’t happen anymore. Is Mahomes overcoming Reid’s short comings in the biggest moments?

As to Dan, he does seem to have some of his own big moment issues with over thinking or over playing his hand. We need more more data here but the always going for it on 4th down may show a pattern that requires some luck/exceptional players to get past the biggest moments.

The data shows we aren’t all that predictable on 4th down:

56 Punts
21 FG attempts
3 Fake Punts
8 Runs
17 Passes
(not including 19 plays of going for it in desperation)

Dan goes for it about 25% of the time.

1 Like

That’s an amazing yet heart breaking stretch…

Imagine the Lions played in 7 of the next 12 NFCC games and 3 super bowls but never won any. It’s impressive and yet so much pain at the end every year.

I was referring to the big moments a coach faces. When the season is on the line. The lions really only have 4 games of big moment data to go off under Dan.

The Packers end of 2022 game where there was nothing on the line but they still performed.

The Rams game and Bucs games where the Lions got the lead and maintained.

And finally the San Francisco NFC game. There was a lot that went wrong in the second half starting with the Gibbs fumble. Dan going for it on 4th down twice in that game is where the only real debatable moments come in. I just don’t think we can know if that is Dan choking, vs Reynolds dropping key passes he’s caught all season. The lions were a team that went for it all season so it seemed in character and not a “choke job”.

Compare that to Kyle, who has a decent record of blowing big leads in big games like the super bowl. What this thread was started around.

We have coach Dan.

His name is Lutienant Dan… show some respect

Angry Forrest Gump GIF

1 Like

I apologize, in this context you’re absolutely correct.

Dan will always go for it on 4th Down in game-clinching situations. Need a 2-pt conversion to win instead of tie? Dan will go for it. Need a 1st down to keep possession and run out the clock? Dan will go for it. Need a massive change momentum? Dan will go for it. Need to kick 'em while they’re down? Dan will go for it.

I know it’s debated, but I think DC was absolutely correct to go for it every time in San Francisco. They had the right calls; JR just couldn’t execute.

1 Like

I pray for stretches like this.
Other then 91 and 23, sitting through 30+ seasons of what we have been, I’d give Shanahan a life long contract. Andy Reid was one like 1-3 in championship games with a SB loss at one point.
It’s much more likely you get worse then better.

1 Like

Yea it would be fun winning so many playoff games… but like the Bills losing 4 straight super bowls…

Kevin James Pain GIF by TV Land

1 Like

Maybe if he hadn’t lost the locker room

LOLOLOL.

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

1 Like