Hockey!

Vegas looking VERY good @Adrian

Deboer is a great coach for you. It is pedal to the metal at all times. The defense is always active. Huge reason for optimism. Watched the game tonight and they dominated for the most part. I would like to see you add a dman if possible.

I also think Price could be dealt to Colorado.

I don’t see anybody trading for that horrendous Price contract.

Vegas does look really good, looking like Cup contenders to me.

I’d like to believe the Oilers are contenders but there’s still too many holes compared to the elite teams and I want Holland to stay far away from that pricey rental market.

Vegas is about to vastly overpay for Alec Martinez.

Fair value imo

Two second rounders for a 32 year old with 8 points and a $4M contract, AND he’s left handed?

Yeah, no.

One of the best shot blockers in the league. Wins most puck battles. Great defensively… proven winner. Good penalty killer. It’s a real solid move for Vegas, one that helps them greatly in the playoffs.

He can be all of those things and the trade can be an overpayment at the same time. I guess we’ll see what happens when the playoffs hit. I just don’t see it.

Rumor is they’re looking at Vatanen or Gustafsson now. They’d need to find someone to pawn Cody Eakin in order for Vatanen to happen, and that would likely mean giving up even more assets, so I guess I should be glad Chicago is losing to NYR right now.

How the hell did we manage to get a pick out of the Cody Eakin trade? I thought for sure we’d have to include a sweetener.

I’ve now become a massive Jets fan, @WinnipegFan – that pick is a conditional third!

Because Eakin is a solid player, who is tough to play against and is built for playoff hockey? IDK why you didn’t just keep him he’s a UFA. Martinez paying immediate dividends.

1 Like

Cody Eakins numbers have been absolutely terrible. Look at the analytics, he’s been below replacement level all year long.

Essentially, he peaked a year too soon considering last year he set career highs in goals, points, and was still defensively responsible. But still …

In Cody Eakin’s three seasons with the Golden Knights he played at least 100 even strength minutes with 23 other skaters.

All 23 had a better expected goals percentage when playing away from Eakin.

22 of the 23 had a better Corsi when playing away from Eakin.

Here’s this year alone:

Plus his salary, even though it’s near the deadline, was just about $4M. VGK needs another defender.

Yes, it is fine if they use the space wisely. I have watched probably 7 VGK games and Eakin has looked better than the numbers show. Deboer loves to activate the defense… wouldn’t be surprised if he adds an offensive dman. If VGK is smart they trade for Tony DeAngelo. He would put up 80 points a year for Deboer.

On another note, how about the Leafs getting beat by their 42 year old AHL Zamboni driver, including getting shut out in the 3rd. Leaf Nation is in full meltdown mode. Most embarrassing loss in years.

1 Like

I’m not sure they could even afford DeAngelo with his deal up at the end of the year, pr the assets to get him – but that would be a fun one.

I think the target will be Gustafsson, even though I’m shaky about his numbers last year. I’d rather go after an established guy like Tyson Barrie, especially since Toronto is about to burn his house down and want him gone.

I watched that Leafs game lastnight and totally get why the fans are frustrated. You had a 42 year old team employee and you lay back on him? There was absolutely no push or aggression when he came in. I normally hate Steve Dangle, but go watch his LFR from that game on YT. Its worth it to watch a man have a stroke live on video.

BTW, what the hell was Mrazek thinking? Fleury is really the only guy who can pull that stuff off these days.

Funny that I thought Mrazek would overtake Jimmy Howard in Detroit. I admit, I bought in on that first year of his. Then I figured VGK would take either Howard or Mrazek at expansion, but they took Nosek instead.

Probably for the best.

Might be the most embarrassing EVER if you think about it. That’s the first EBUG win in league history!

Here’s the Dangle vid if you want some schadenfreude:

2 Likes

And that couldn’t happen to a nicer fanbase. Leafs fans are one of the most arrogant fanbases in sports so it looks good in them.

So Adrian, it looks like the Knights and Oilers are going to be in a real battle for the division. I thought the Mike Green pickup was a little odd since forward is much bigger of a need than depth D but maybe it’ll facilitate another trade today to get McDavid some help on his wing.

I like the Martinez trade for you guys. Solid, underrated Dman.

Interesting bit on the 5 former Windsor Spitfires captains currently coaching in the NHL.

1 Like

Me too, but not after you stop and think about how badly Holland wanted Green in Detroit, even years prior to him actually signing there. He was Holland’s white whale for a long time, and I think he’s carrying that feeling around to this day, for better for worse.

AA on that top line with McDavid will probably be pretty sick. I’m really interested in the matchup between the two teams on Wednesday – potential playoff preview for sure.

As far as tough guys go, both Bob Probert and Ty Domi are from Windsor and environs. They are not joking about hard-nosed hockey.

Here’s some troubling info on Mike Green’s last few seasons.

It’s hard to judge any Red Wings players individually because the team has been so awful, historically awful.
Green isn’t going to play many minutes away (at least I hope), he was more of an insurance policy than anything else. The Oilers already have their top 4 right handed Dmen. Really intrigued by the AA addition, the top 6 has enormous potential.

What do you think of the Lehner addition? I know Fleury’s dad died recently so I’m guessing that they’re worried about him taking on too much of a workload?

1 Like

Fleury most definitely fell into a funk when his father passed.

In fact, his father died on Marc-Andre’s birthday – then the VGK Dad’s Trip happened IMMEDIATELY afterward.

Malcom Subban was a favorite of the Vegas goalie coach Dave Prior – who is one of the best in the game. The problem is, Subban would’ve fit a lot better in a platoon, or at least with more starts. He didn’t get that in Vegas, especially after Gerard Gallant was fired. The team clearly didn’t trust him, and as a result – they overplayed Fleury.

This will be a solid addition to ensure Flower gets rest before the playoffs – but I’m more interested in what they do during the playoffs. I can’t imagine them platooning tenders then – but hey, I’m actually for it – at least at this point.

1 Like