Holmes' plan

If I had to take a stab at what I think was running through the villain’s mind going into this draft it’d be something like this:

“Nobody could run on us last year. We have one of the top run D’s in the league. Let me load up on talent at cb/db and wish the league luck on throwing against us.”

Giving the de’s a couple more seconds to finish might also increase the amount of sacks they are able to rack up. I have to assume he’s comfortable with the backup guards and the de rotation at this point unless we add a free agent after the draft…

bold GIF

2 Likes

Reader - best defensive back on our team…that’s the plan, imo

we now have ball hawks to make opposition pay for mistakes…that pressure causes

2 Likes

He will certainly be a big part of it, but we added like 50 new DBs this off season. The plan HAS to have been to shore up the pass defense this year. It seems like it was his entire focus

1 Like

The two CBs they drafted excel against the run as well.

3 Likes

I like this Lions draft better than last year. I thought last year was a bit of a dip, saved by a killer 2nd round, but this year feels better to me. I still worry about AG, not much faith in him running the D from me.

2 Likes

Love you socko… but last years draft was game changing for the Lions…we got 3 rookie studs and hopefully more. Branch… LaPorta and Gibbs alone make it probably the best draft ever… imagine Hooker, Jack and Bromart develop :laughing:

5 Likes

Obviously I was against the Gibbs pick but he developed nicely under the Lions. I would still say he was a little overdrafted. Jack has a lot of work to do to live up to his draft position. The 2nd round was admittedly a super home run - LaPorta could be the best TE in the league soon, the only other guys in his class are older. And I did like the Hooker pick, just having Goff would be living very dangerously, one injury from disaster, plus he would have us by the balls in contract negotiation. I didn’t say it was a bad draft, just a dip from his other ones. Not grading on a Lions curve here, but a Villain curve.

2 Likes

Roger that… I think that draft last year may be hard to beat

2 Likes

The Sewell draft is hard to beat, because you know, he’s the best player on the team.

1 Like

If you watch his presser you know that wasn’t his plan

He flat out stated he didn’t plan to take two CBs. Partly because he didn’t expect either to be in play without a big move.

He stated those two guys were the only CBs they had as Round 1/2 kind of guys so they were not gonna take any CB just to get 2 CBs. It just worked out that both the guys they really liked fell far enough to get with a small trade up

He literally explained all this in his Day 2 Presser

1 Like

I’ll have to check them out. It’s been a hectic weekend so I haven’t really had time to watch any pressers or highlights or anything

1 Like

…or any other team

1 Like