How do you all feel about Brock Wright?

Both of those things are false. Why would you account for a guy who had 91 receiving yards last season and 1 TD? And week in and out he was on the lowest ranked PFF players on our offense including blocking.

Erick All was the leading receiver for IOWA last season and he only played in 7 games. Spann-Ford is just big, not someone I would target. Although I’m sure he goes earlier but if he falls I would take a hard look at Holker from Colorado State.

Question, do you think All can play fullback at all? Like Whyle last year? Holker might actually be a better fit for that sort of spot. Westover from Washington too.

Love the question @Thats2

If he could and do it well, it would free up a roster spot since Cabinda would be less important. Will be interesting to see if Malcom gets more reps there too.

I feel like he could but I just can’t say it with certainty lol

1 Like

Yeah I’m very interested in an H-Back sort who can play FB, RB and TE. Would open up our offense tremendously imo. We joked about it a few days ago, but Brock Bowers would actually be perfect for this. Obviously that won’t happen, but that sort of player would take us to another level.

1 Like

I think Wright is definitely coming back… Played over 1000 snaps the past 2 seasons on offense and also plays special teams.

Knows the system. The coaches trust him. Should be relatively cheap.

1 Like

Upgrade if you can but I say bring him back. At worst he’s a great tight end 3. See if you can grab someone like barner from Michigan in the 6th or 7th to push Mitchell.

1 Like

Kiper has both Holker and Westover listed as HB/FB and re their size I would say that may be accurate. With re to All, unless he has played some before maybe not the best plan but I just don’t see how putting someone back there that is not a threat to do anything but block is the answer. So while I like that Malcom got his licks in he was never a threat. Whyle proved himself to be that type of hybrid player in college but haven’t followed him since so not sure how that’s going but that’s what I’m looking for.

Agreed Cabinda and Malcolm are both too one-dimensional for the spot imo. And as much as our staff seems to hate being predictable, it’s surprising we haven’t brought in a more versatile player there (though I know everyone on staff loves Cabinda).

For my money I’d leave Rodrigo at LB, let Cabinda walk, and bring in an H-back via the draft (or steal Colletto or Willis from SF’s practice squad). If it doesn’t work out with the new guy you’ve always got Rodrigo in reserve again.

1 Like

I like Wright. He is an OK #2 TE and really good #3. Wouldn’t be surprised if we drafted another TE to try and compete.

They are supposedly high on Mitchell as he’s been hurt, but his lack of 100% availability has to be hurting him at this point.

I still remember when Harbaugh took over Stanfurd and brought in 5 TEs his first draft class and few WRs. Cal fans were laughing at him “How are you gonna play all those TEs Jim”.

Needless to say Stanfurd started steam rolling teams including Pete Carroll’s NC USC Trojans.

You can’t have too many huge 6’5 athletes that can run, block, and catch. I’m convinced if the Lions had 14 Penei Sewells, there would be 7 on offense and 7 on defense and the lions would just pound the crap out of teams.

You see how they have guys like Rodrigo that can play all 3 phases as an athlete.

With his injury concerns, I’d probably pass of All unless he was available in the 6th or 7th. If we’re looking for a good/great blocking TE to complement LaPorta, I like AJ Barner from Michigan, 6-6 260#.

Interesting that if you look at Kiper’s list he has him as #5 TE, and yet more than 1 site has him as an UDFA. Typically around 11 TE’s are drafted in a normal year, I think he gets drafted but he may very well be there in the 6th or 7th.

1 Like

I like what Brock gives the Lions. He’s not Sam, and he’s not supposed to be, but, If Brad and Dan bring in another TE for competition, its best man win.

1 Like

Brock is a rock solid #3 TE

1 Like

He simply didnt get many looks because SLaP was always on thr field and had arguably the best rookie TE season in thr last 60 years.

When they dumped Hock and he played a bigger role, well he went 19-199 4 TD while sharing time with Mitchell(11-113-1) and Zylstra 11-60-4)

So the TE Triumvirate went 41-372-9, their target to catch ratios insanely High

When he gets called upon, he produces very well for a TE3, which is what he is.

1 Like

And that’s why I said ,“That said I would draft Erick All day 3 and keep Wright as the #3.” I also think he is fairly secure as the #3 unless Zylstra returns. Shane had better receiving and blocking grades in 2022.

1 Like

Comedy Laugh GIF by For(bes) The Culture

I believe that Mitchell has shown enough to be brought back. When LaPorta first got injured, it was Mitchell making the tough catches and being an in-line blocker. He’s not as physical as Brock and doesn’t catch and run as good as LaPorta. But he is adequate enough to be a starting TE in this league.

1 Like

I like Barner as Najacks said, big guy, good run blocker maybe better than good, and good hands as well.
I like All from IA also, has he fully recovered from his injury? I think he could surprise some folks as he was coming on strong at UM before he transferred out.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.