How is this backfield going to look?

Right now the Lions only have 2 Safeties and 9 CB/NB. Then 2 practice squad DBs.

Theres no way they go into the season like that.

Hence why i believe they are going to move Branch to Safety. I’ve heard coach say they are going to try to push Branch to do more. As well as other experts say with Arnold you move Robertson to the slot. Well then where do you put Branch?? Has to be Safety.

This makes the most sense to me.

Now to start the season arnold may be the backup and Robertson is CB2 and Iffy ss. Branch at NB.

But after a few weeks. I believe this will be the lineup unless they sign some Vet safety

Branch is a chess piece and a vet safety. And we good in my book.

Also it sucks but someone will get hurt. There will be plenty of playing time for everybody. We have much better depth now

4 Likes

I’m expecting AG to bring exotic blitz packages with Iffy, Branch, Barms, and Anzilone.

3 Likes

Heads up: *** 🏈 OPEN: The Den Official NFL Draft Thread: Day 3 football *** KEEP IT HERE

Exciting!
We just went to the NFC game, and now, our weakness has become a strength.
We really don’t “need” starters, and, the team is so talented, it’s going to be increasingly harder for rookies to start.
Arnold already knows. He’s talking about hitting the jugs with Amon Ra. If he does that, we may have just gotten “Prime Time”.
That’s a wonderful thing!

2 Likes

we still have doink backing up Davis? ewwww :face_vomiting:

Branch can play safety, he is also a REALLY GOOD slot, and the lions know that. I wouldn’t try to label these guys, its fluid. They are gonna play all over…we got some dawgs in the secondary now. I can tell ya the only person not moving around is robertson, he would not have signed if we wanted him to olay slot, he isnt as good there…lol. exciting times!

3 Likes

1 Like

How is this backfield going to look. Deep. Talented. Hungry.

We should be able to rotate some like we did at safety to keep them fresh.

drooling GIF

Happy Dance GIF by Molke

Its a VERY versatile defensive backfield and i love it!

3 Likes

A lot of the players are positionally versatile, and there’s also $26 million in cap space and several high quality safetys still available, Holmes will sign someone.

~$33.5m available after the NFL voids Suttons contract.

But they still need to Extend Goff.

And save ~15-20m for the complete 53 man roster + practice squad + season injuries.

So really theres not that much left.

They have all the cap room they will need this season. They will extend Decker for couple more seasons counting this one likely till end 2026. He will play roughly for what he gets now they will just move numbers around. Lions are in good shape with the cap. The secondary this season will have 4 starters an two rookies. I think they leave Branch at Nickle but on some downs they may drop him back an bring another CB off the bench. What they can do with 6 quality CBs will mess with many teams D