How many games did Matt Prater win for us?

I think @freebirdpartdeux already dispelled that a few weeks back with an article that helped explain why his teams were bad.

Yup - I love the guy. He did a good job, especially with the “talent” he had at most roster positions. Trying to win games with a WR, a Kicker, and a QB…and STILL gets 9 wins out of 'em!

You just love that smooth, smooth head,

P.S. I’m a recent convert to the Church of the Chrome Dome. Loving every minute of it.

3 Likes

GD right, my man! Welcome to the light side of the force!
Caldwell and I strongly approve!

1 Like

That was one of the most impressive sequences of plays I’ve gotten to watch in my longtime fandom. To hit a 40 yard pass over the middle and have everyone on the same Paige to be able to spike the ball and hit that fg. Just impressive all around.

1 Like

You dont’ want to face a Stafford offense at the end of a game, if you are only ahead by one score. He will hurt your feelings (provided the officials don’t magically take it away and/or magically award massive chunk yards and clock stoppages to the other team).

1 Like

In 2017… only 3 teams attempted less 4th down conversions than Lions (9 attempts).

In 2016… only 4 teams attempted fewer 4th down plays (10 attempts)

In 2015… 13 teams had fewer 4th conversion attempts (Lions had 14 plays, 4 teams had 13, and 3 had 12).

In 2014… Caldwell’s 1st year and the Lions attempted 20 plays on 4th down. It was the 2nd most in NFL.

Caldwell started out pretty aggresive on 4th downs… but the number declined each year.

It definitely wasn’t me. I didn’t know how to view Caldwell as our coach so I had more of a wait and see approach. I was kind of numb to the hire. Some here thought he was just a Roony rule interview. And I would have normally fell into that camp but we had already fulfilled our requirement before the Caldwell interview so clearly it was legit.

I was excited about the fact that he watched every game and every throw of Stafford over a period of time and came in with a “fix.” He also interviewed with the Landover Football Club and they said he did the same thing explaining in detail how he was going to “fix” RG3.

Well, to me that says he’s willing to go for it if the conditions are appropriate, but going for it is not a core part of his philosophy.

I’d say that doesn’t make him conservative or aggressive. Which is sort of Caldwell to a tee.

In 2017, the Lions lost by 4 points to the Falcons.
Most remember the final play as replay ruled Golden Tate short of the goal line.

Early in 2nd quarter… down 10-0 at the time… The Lions had 3rd and 2 at the Falcons 37 yard line. They had an incomplete pass, and Prater kicked a 55 yard field goal.

With 2 minutes left in 2nd quarter, Lions were down 17-3 at the time… and had 3rd and 2 at the Falcons 22 yard line. They attempted a short pass to Theo Riddick, who was targeted 9 times and had ZERO rushes that game. No threat of running on 3rd down. Pass was incomplete. Kicked a FG on 4th and 2 yards.

Caldwell settled for a 17-6 deficit with 2 minutes left in the 1st half.

It could have been a 20-6 or 24-6 Falcons halftime lead the way the game was heading. The Falcons 1st three drives had netted 17 points and moved the ball 192 yards at that point (50+ yards on all 3 drives).

But… Glover Quin bailed him out with a pick 6 on the next Falcons possession.

Late in the 3rd quarter… trailing 23-20… Lions had 3rd and 1 to go on Falcons 12 yard line. Once again… no rushing attempt or QB sneak. Incomplete pass intended for KG.
Kicked a FG rather than try for it on 4th and 1 yard to go.

4th quarter… trailing 30-23 with 12 minutes left.
On a drive with 3 rushes for 19 yards so far… the Lions had 2nd and 8 at the Falcons 38 yard line.
Still a tough FG (even with Prater).
2 more incompletions… and Prater bails them out with a 57 yard field goal.

Caldwell settled for 4 FGs… 2 of which were 55+ yards… and had 3 good chances to PLAN on going for it on 4th down when the 3rd down play was being called.

I am pretty sure the “analytics” would not favor Caldwell’s approach in that game.
Lions finished 9-7… missing the playoffs while the 10-6 Falcons made the playoffs.

Yeah, like how many 50+ yard FG’s did Prater have that we later won the game?..cuz most kickers don’t make those with his kind of %.

1 Like

…and how many would have been game-winners if the shitty D didn’t allow the other team to come steamrolling back over us, sometimes with/sometiems without help from officiating?

1 Like

And yet the team was in prime position to win that game instead of being down an extra 6-9 points. Weird.

I wonder if the players got a day off for the “moral” victory?

1 Like

When is our analytics Super Bowl party?

cancelled… because the Lions missed the playoffs after going 9-7… while the 10-6 Falcons made the playoffs.

But what about the analytics Super Bowl? Who won that one? You are talking about trivial things like real life.

What are the betting odds on analytics champion of 2021?

avoid turn around GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

Lions lost the game… in real life.

They were playing a team that was #1 scoring offense the year prior and averaged 28.5 ppg in 1st 2 games before the Lions played them.

They were very conservative.
That’s all.

Jason Hanson had very few game winning FGs over a 21 year career (329 games). According to one source (Wikipedia), Hanson had 17 game-winning field goals in his career; eight in regulation and nine in overtime. Another source has him at 21.

In contrast, Prater had 11 in just 7 seasons (108 games) with the Lions.