How many "starters" do we need?

I’d take a 3rd and 10 million in cap space.

I am pretty sure it is an annual amount if he is on the roster for the season. It is probably prorated if he gets traded mid-season so listed as per game. It is considered to be a bonus that is “likely to be earned” and would have to count in his cap. His cap number is 13.3M+ made up of his base 10M his prorated signing bonus 2.9M and about 500K of roster and workout bonuses. so it is not 4M for the year.

FOR discussion sake lets say the Lions only want to pay Slay 15M per year. that would be 45M over 3.

IF he sits out a year this year he gives up 10M So he would need to make 22.5M each for the following two years to make 45M. NO ONE will offer that for a 30 year old CB next year. ESPECIALLY after sitting out…who knows what you are getting then. TOO big a risk and his agent knows this too! This is why I don’t think he will sit out.

Even say we are only at 14M. That is 42M over 3 years if he sits out that is still 21M per year to catch up. The math and his age are not in his favor.

NOW if as some say, the Lions just want him gone, then the math is irrelevant. they will not replace his play with a 3rd round pick.

NOW in reality it is all about the guaranteed money and he has earned some more so I hope they pay the man what equates to 2 years guaranteed. The length and total amount are meaningless.

1 Like