How much would it cost to get Da'Ron Payne?

I think thats a little harsh. Malcolm has been very solid against the run throughout his career. Those guys are important to have and have a key role. If we signed him I could see him playing 20-25 snaps a game. Him and Alim in the middle would be a sizable upgrade against the run, IMO. Now obviously it doesn’t solve our issues as our LB’ers still have to fill the right gaps, but it makes it less of a concern.

He’s an average to above average player. I’m fine with that. He’s not a liability and he’s capable of eating up blockers to free up our LBers. We need that.

There is nothing above average about him. He’s a guy.

I could see Rivera letting him go after the year…
or maybe even trading at the deadline if they have a terrible start… but I don’t see him trading before the team plays any games.

His RAS score is slightly above average.

His total number of tackles rank above average.

His assists are near the top of the NFL.

His sack totals are slightly below average.

For his career, Brown has tallied 247 tackles (130 solos), 23 tackles for a loss, 23 quarterback hits, and 11.5 sacks. According to Pro Football Focus, Brown ranked No. 6 in the NFL in run-stop-percentage at 11.5% among defensive linemen who played at least 100 run-stop snaps last season.

He is what we need if you ask me.

I’m going to be very interested to see how mazi smith does this year for Michigan. He’s one to keep an eye on. If he develops a pass rush he could be the guy.

Only if we are looking for a warm body. Watch the film. There is a reason why he is still available and will end up signing close to league minimum. I am okay with warm bodies…I just want to be sure that people know the truth about this guy.

I realize some people are picturing an Eddie Goldman type player. Brown is not. Brown is an odd duck that has some movement skills but has never had the power required to be able to use his feet. So in a weird series of events he has been told to just be the fat guy in the middle. But he doesn’t have the power to do it better than the average guy doing the same thing.

To put it in terms Lions fans can relate to, power DEs like Ziggy and Jason Jones were stronger at the point of attack than Malcom Brown.

I’d be surprised if he ends up here. He’s going to look for the highest bidder.

But, is he injured, or at least have a history of injury?

Have you just described our 2021 2nd round pick?

1 Like

Right now Levi isn’t even a warm body. So Brown has the advantage there.

2 Likes

too much time in the ice bath to be warm…

2 Likes

If B. Holmes was smart and I think he might be, just shut Levi down now, he tried to play in pain last year, and we all saw the results. And he’s tried to play in training camp, nothing but more pain and missing practices.

Shut Levi down, swallow your pride B. Holmes, put him on IR, and maybe we have a comeback story in year 3 if he gets his back right, like we have seen in Austin Bryrant overcoming 2 years of injuries.

Lower back issues are the worst. Trying to hope his back feels better week to week is most likely fool’s gold.

1 Like

Yup - Just like Coach Dan said → you feel as good right now as you are gonna feel all season.

2 Likes

I’m with you. I mean if you want a decent amount of tackles and not a lot more than just keep Brockers. I want more than that and if you drop big money on a DT he’s going to start. IMHO McNeil is that starter who will give you what Payne gives you. I have my doubts that Onwuzurike is going to heal up and stud out. Lots of ifs there. No I bide my time and go get a guy like Wyatt that came out this year. Paschel “may” be stout enough to move inside, but I don’t think he can live there. I see more SSDE with him. We need what they thought they were getting w Levi.

After this year, we will know if we have something with him or if he’s going to go on the stack of second round busts. Now if we were talking Jonathon Allen… I may be ok. I’m not opposed to FA money on an impact rush DT that is still young, but that isn’t what Payne is.

1 Like

I agree with you too.
I’m good with rolling with Six Deuce this year, and just taking our lumps with him and Buggs rotating in. It could cost us 1or 2 wins this year, but it’s developing talent/depth and the guy we get next year is wired like Mike Tyson (fingers crossed).

Hopefully he drops plenty of deuces on the opponents.

1 Like

LOL - yesss!!! Likely 6 of 'em, if I’m reading the universal signs well.

1 Like

In hind sight, would you rather have had us draft Jordan Davis over JaMo? We talked about drafting hutch at 2 and trading up for Davis before the draft…

Super-Tough call, man. I LOVE Davis and Jamo. Truthfully, the tiebreaker for me is Brad’s opinion. I trust him more than I trust me.

If they re-sign Chark, with Reynolds, Ra, Cephus, Kennedy (he makes roster easily, if Jamo’s not here)…that is a nice WR room. You can easily justify Jordan coming here, and I DO think he’s going to be a monster…especially with a year of NFL strength training and conditioning.

I think BOTH are very special talent. I see Jamo as a guy who is top 5 almost every year…Probably not the best, because of Ra on teh same roster, as well as the type of QB we have. J-Moss is dirt nasty th0ugh. He’s a massive difference maker with massive home run ability…maybe even the best in the NFL.

I’m defaulting to Brad, though THIS YEAR, we would have been a better team with Jordan…hands down.

1 Like