How often do the top available FAs hit for new teams?

I agree 100 %. If these guys were so good their own teams would have found a way to re-sign them. The one thing I would do is play the comp pick game. There are plenty of released guys that are equal or better than the UFAs. We are better off with the comp picks because Brad knows how to use them.

What’s the old saying? The SB isn’t won in free agency? Something a long those lines.

I think where it makes sense is when you have a team on the cusp. Going out and getting that one guy may put you over the top.

Great post @Thats2

1 Like

This is another reason paying guys at the top of the market hurts, it basically eliminates any chance of a high value comp pick. Unless you’ve got more than one high value player leaving, in which case, why are you spending at the top of the FA market?

Good breakdown @Thats2

First thing I notice is how the heck was CGJ #4 free agent overall last year now this years he like the #10 best available safety.

All in 1 injury which he came back from?

Somethings not adding up here

That guy I used to make the list still has him #11 overall, so it’s pretty consistent. It all adds up fine.

That’s probably why the hit rate is 2 out of 20 then !

I see lists where CJGJ isn’t even top 10 safety available this year

Maybe they have him listed at corner?

No one has been doing it as long as Rosenthal which is why I used him. Since I only went back three years I probably could have used someone else, but they’re more or less the same. In fact if you take away re-signings and franchise tags, the other one I considered had the same top 10 for 2023 (CJGJ was 4th on that one too).

1 Like

If CJGJ is so good. Why do teams keep getting rid of him? Why didn’t he get big offers in free agency last year? Good chance this will be team number 4 this offseason entering year 6.

Is it the injuries? The nonstop talking? I don’t know but something doesn’t add up.

1 Like

His personality burns hot and wears out his welcome, imo.

2 Likes

Top 101

I want 13,32,46

But with Darious Williams available if we can get him might only need 32&46

Of course #4 or #7 would be nice but Clowney would be just fine for us

I don’t think it’s the beans that make the difference, it’s the inability for the player to outperform his contract and create value.

When a guy is paid at the top of the market, the absolute best he can do is to play up to his contract. It doesn’t take much of a drop in performance to have the performance : cost ratio go the wrong way.

Giving a big contract has this inherent risk, but giving a big contract to an outside free agent adds to the risk profile because there’s additional uncertainty about how a guy will perform in a new environment, new system, and with new teammates.

That doesn’t mean the risk is never worth taking, but it ought to be taken thoughtfully.

1 Like

These are guys I like to take a look at not all of them to get just people I wouldnt mind if they brought in

9/47/51/56/63/73/82/101

I like all these players you mentioned
Onwenu vs Jonah?

I’m out on JK Dobbins & Michael Thomas tho

Dobbins and Thomas is all about contract

If Dobbins is on a 1 year prove it deal I wouldnt mind him in a role as the 3rd back

If Thomas comes on a cheap deal he does know Campbell and he has had some good production before a 1 year deal to be a depth WR wont hurt

I think Campbell knowing Thomas is the exact reason we won’t sign him.

2 Likes

Give me 47, 51 or 52, and 58

Not on the list but I do like Amon Ra bringing his brother in here to compete as well

Replacing Okwaras & Charles Harris with

Armstrong, Autry, and Calais Campbell would be filthy.

I’m out on Fulton CB

We’ve got enough bums at outside CB and Nickel CBs.

Need that stud #1 outside CB

Only 3 guys I see

Snead - trade
Fuller
Williams

1 Like

Fulton is a younger, cheaper Fuller. He’s been great when he’s played (certainly not a bum), but he’s been hurt a lot. When hunting value in FA, injured guys are one place to look (as I thought you were doing with Dissly). I think Williams is probably better in year 1, but you’re getting more years out of Fulton ideally.

To me Sneed is the ONLY #1 stud outside CB available.

1 Like

True. The only other one masquerading is Fuller.

I just looked at Fulton PFF score was 40 bro. He’s putting up Amani O & Will Harris #s at outside CB