How to anger a few Denmates

Blockquote

I’m not sure I care if the TE can block. But the guy better be able to catch a MF’ing football!

If he’s taken in the first round he had better know how to block.

1 Like

We’re going to run the football more. Everyone, including WRs, but especially TEs (due to size) need to block effectively.

They took Ebron due to his speed at that size.

I don’t care about speed as much as blocking and hands for catching.

1 Like

More just referring to Ebron. I’d agree in most circumstances, a TE’s blocking ability should be weighed heavily. But if we could snag a Jimmy Graham in his prime, I’d give a rats back side about the blocking. Those mismatches on LB’s or Safties would be worth it. That is, as long as the wanker could catch a damn ball.

1 Like

Holy crap! Took 15 days for Kiper to catch up with you!

1 Like

I’d rather grab the next Antonio Gates…

“in his prime” is a key phrase. TEs take time to develop.

This is kind of how I process the draft as well. I’m looking at long term benefit and NO contribution in yr 1. If we get it, great, but rookies make mistakes.

That said, there are certain positions that can contribute early. TE, CB, QB, WR are not those kinds of players.

So I’m taking TEs later instead of trying for the polished complete package in yr one. Jimmy Graham was a 3rd rounder. Antonio Gates UDFA. Vernon Davis didn’t really pop until year 4 and he was top 10 drafted TE…

I’d rather take top talent at a position more critical. Like DT, DE, OT. OT plays every offensive snap, so there’s bang for the buck. And I want the best LT money or drafting can buy. That security he buys the QB is often ignored, but it’s so valuable. Look what happened to Russell Wilson when Okung went bye bye. No more 12-13 win seasons…

I’m greedy and selfish. I don’t care what position the pick plays. I want him to be an impact player for 5 seasons. There’s always a handful in round 1. A mismatch TE, a lockdown CB, an Ironman RB… just play well and often.

1 Like

I’m still voting for building the OL first. I feel that helps the team most. Like someone else mentioned, those dudes play every snap. Imagine having a run game where KJ is ripping off big chunks, Matt has time to let deep plays develop, and play action actually works. Right now, we are ultra-predictable and one dimensional. OL changes that, IMO.

My second best scenario is having a nasty-ass DL. Those dudes create havoc that results in messy play for the opposing O. Fairley and Suh used to make it look like a hand grenade went off in the pocket. QBs were running for their lives. Fun stuff.

1 Like

Well, this didn’t age well…even though I tend to agree.
We didn’t think the Oline would be any good, and we were excited about the Dline.
Turns out the Oline is pretty good, the Dline can’t get healthy, and the Secondary that we expected to be the weak link is playing off the hook through 4 games.

1 Like

Props to the OPer. Nailed it.

I didn’t want TJ or Tavai. I guess the Lions staff is smarter than I am.

2 Likes

I had BQ picking either TJ or the guard… Johanna’s ? So name??