How Would Chase Young Fit in This Defense

I think your probably right … unfortunately.

I’m with Air on this one. Day 1 he’s taking snaps on the left side of the D-Line. Okwara relieves Flowers on the end and sometimes is taking interior snaps as well. Chase would line up on both sides. Flowers would line up on both sides and, yes, we could even see them both taking interior snaps.

Kennard would play more off-the-ball than he has been. Young is good enough to drop back if we rush Kennard or Tavai, but he’s certainly not a coverage player.

I guess there would be a little tailoring in that you’re not going to have Kennard playing left end as much.

Here are all snaps taken for Okwara in 2019:

In 14 games Okwara played 60% or more of defensive snaps in half of those games and Okwara generally played in at least 50%ish of all defensive snaps every game. Chase can take all those snaps game one. Chase can do more things so he can play more than that too. As mentioned Chase can take snaps away from Kennard too.

I started this thread noting Chase Young is about the same size as guys already on this roster. Noting Chase can play Okwara’s role as a rookie it is easy to see how and where Chase could play day one.

Some combination of Chase Young, Flowers, Harrison, Hand works great for me. Add to that Kennard and Austin Bryant with Okawa as depth and that is solid. If we add two defensive tackles in free agency that is a solid DL. There are a LOT of DTs available in free agency in 2020 and that makes me smile.

I think the Lions go all in on LBer Dante Fowler too. Fowler, Chase Young, Flowers, Hand, Harrison, Kennard and rotational players is a DL/LBer core that you can win big with. Sign me up for that.

1 Like

I only watched 2 games Young played in ( Michigan & Clemson ) and I got a bad feeling about this guy. He just didn’t jump off the screen at me as the player he is being hyped up to be. Young looks like he’s more athlete then football player and I just don’t see the dominant stud that wrecks another teams game plan. When we drafted Suh you could see that player in him with Young I just don’t see it. Then again, what do I know I only build shit for a living.

I don’t know about Clemson, but I think Michigan double-teamed him quite a bit of I remember correctly.

That’s alot of pass rushers, for a guy that likes to just rush 3.

1 Like

I’ve heard he would play Outside LB in this defense. I’m not sure how accurate that is… :man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2:

3 guys who should be DT’s at that.

For kicks here are Trey Flowers snap counts:

Very interesting. Very similar to Okwara’s snap counts overall.

I think it is easy and accurate to see Flowers and Chase Young being in on roughly 60% of every defensive snap or more most games.

On early down we would feature Flowers, Harrison and Chase Young with multiple looks to round out the remaining other players. In pass rushing situations Flowers, Young, D. Hand and whatever other 4th player the Lions want to bring. I smile at a set up like that.

Chase Young…come on down!

If we get Chase Young and say Dante Fowler in free agency I would be crazy happy. Combine that with at least one solid defensive tackle in free agency and I am pretty happy. I also expect Mike Daniels back as a back up to Hand or splitting time with Hand and I don’t think any team is giving Mike crazy $ after his last two seasons.

Flowers, Chase Young, Harrison, a defensive tackle free agent (say the kid from Carolina?), Da’Shawn Hand, a re-signed Mike Daniels, Okwara and pick your 8th and 9th DL guys and I am really happy. We would also still have Kennard and Austin Bryant in year two.

If we also field Dante Fowler, Jarrad Davis, Tavai, Kennard and Chrisrtian Jones that is a solid LBer crew too. LOTS of different combinations there.

If the Lions also add a solid CB in rd. 2…yea, color me in the camp that thinks this defense is on the road to turning it around.

No way - he’s a DE.

Lol does anyone pay attn to our scheme? Lawrence Taylor would be wasted here.

I second that!

My last jersey was Suh…got it right after the draft. Prior to that I had a Robert Porcher jersey.