I don’t want lions to pick Hutchison

How many times does Aaron Donald lay on his back and press weight in an upward motion during a football game?

worth a 1000 words…

3 Likes

I was more disappointed in Ojabo, he was pretty invisible. Wiith the amount of attention and holding Aiden got, I thought he was ok. I would like to see Aiden add strength and a little more size though.
Holding is a fact of life in football, although it was excessive in this game.

2 Likes

There have been 39 top 5 picks spent on defensive players since the 2000 draft. I believe there are 4 elite defensive players in this draft and we are likely going to draft one with the 2nd overall pick. If history tells us anything drafting a DE in the top five is one of the riskiest positions to take on that side of the ball. 15 picks have been spent on DE’s with 6 of them busting (7 if you count Ansah). Drafting along the DLine in general in the top five is much riskier than the secondary or LB’s as well, 8 picks spent on DT with 4 busting and Q. Williams being count as a hit. Compare that to LB’s where 8 picks have been spent with only 2 busts and the secondary which is almost automatic with 6 picks spent on CB’s and only 1 bust (Okudah) and 2 picks on Safety with zero busts (Taylor and Berry). Maybe we are better off moving down a couple picks and taking Stingley or Hamilton :man_shrugging:

I saw none of what I was looking for in the pictures you shared.

That’s more of a landmine press type motion, which is funny, because that looks very similar to many other clips and photos people have tried to show me to prove that “the bench correlates to football”.

If they were trying to measure someone’s ability to push someone off of you like that, then either A. Measure the landmine press instead of a bench press or B. Get somebody as an O lineman to do a drill like that and get a sensor that tracks how much power the defender, or O lineman even, uses to push the guy off of him (things like that exist by the way).

The bench press certainly isn’t the “end all” of player strength… but it is a piece of the puzzle.

Hutch was #2 on Feldman’s physical freaks list… so I can’t really understand why anyone would be questioning the strength or power of a 265 pound guy that has tested well in all of physical tests that demonstrate power and explosiveness.

While at Michigan, Paye clocked the second-best 3-cone time on the team at 6.37. This offseason, Hutchinson timed 6.54, which would’ve been better than anyone at the 2020 combine. In addition, he vertical jumped 36 inches, ran a 4.64 40 and ripped off a 4.07 shuttle time. Hutchinson also did a 2.57-second reactive plyo stair, which at 265, amazed even his strength coaches. He is the first athlete that veteran strength coach Ben Herbert has witnessed do a “Turkish Get-up” with 135 pounds and no collars (to lock on the plates) in 24 years working in college weight rooms. (Any mistake or hint of imbalance in keeping the bar perfectly level, and the weight will slide off.)
He’s A Freak: Michigan’s Aidan Hutchinson Receives No. 2 Ranking On CFB List - Sports Illustrated Michigan Wolverines News, Analysis and More

I’m not questioning his strength or explosiveness, I’m questioning the bench being one of those tools to evaluate those things.

It’s not really a tool, a test, or a leading indicator that translates directly to a specific football function.

Football however is a physical game. If a fast and strong 265 pound man is trying to get around or through a relatively strong 315 man for a living, any measure of strength helps more than it hurts.

The vertical for example is a much better indicator of burst and overall athleticism than the 40…. Some guys don’t top out above 18-19 mph, but can get there in just a few steps. Others will touch 22-23 mph, but it takes them 20 yards to get up to full speed in their underwear.

Fact- guys that bench 225 pounds 25 reps or more are strong. Clowney measured fast and explosive at the combine, but not strong at all. 225 reps just 21 times at 266 pounds is pretty weak. Go figure he can’t bull effectively in the NFL, but he’s great a chasing down running backs in run support.

I wouldn’t advocate drafting based on bench, squat, deads, or forty times, but when 255-270 pound men who are about to get paid to run through people choose not to bench or squat well now, I fear that motivation will not increase once they are millionaires.

At this point is there a clear cut number one pick? There really isn’t a qb. I’m hoping we trade down and land Hamilton

Lots of overreacting here. Hutch will be a good pick. He couldn’t do it alone out there. Georgia was better across the board and their offense was was quick. Smash mouth runs then quick plays to some great TEs

I’m still happy with either him or Thibs if we are still picking in the top few

5 Likes

Same goes for Thibs. He lives in the opponent’s backfield, it’s not his fault if all of the plays are away from him.

5 Likes

I think many of us would love to trade down. But with no clear cut top prospects trading down becomes very difficult. Very rarely do teams trade up for non QB’s.

1 Like

Let’s get a big boy from sce.Hutchison is just another guy in our pond , we should look around

Oh I agree. Just don’t see anyone worth taken at 2. Hutchinson looked like a boy yesterday.

You’re right only the SEC has great pass rushers.

Current 2021 Sack Leaders

T.J. Watt - 17.5 sacks - Wisconsin
Robert Quinn - 17 sacks - North Carolina
Myles Garrett - 15 sacks - Texas A&M
Nick Bosa - 15 sacks - Ohio State
Trey Hendrickson - 14 sacks - Florida Atlantic
Micah Parsons - 13 sacks - Penn State
Matthew Judon - 12.5 sacks - Grand Valley State
Aaron Donald - 12 sacks - Pittsburg

Oh wait, you’re wrong as usual.

5 Likes

Lord I wanted us to sign Trey Hendrickson bad in the off season

1 Like

He’s a beast for sure. I think Hutch could have a similar pro career to Trey. They are nearly identical in size, Hutch is a bit taller even. And both have non stop motors.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch the game, I had to do this New Year’s thing with the wife. Maybe because of that I’m avoiding the emotional knee-jerk reaction.

The highlights that I’ve seen showed me yes Hutchinson was invisible, but Georgia did an exceptional job scheming around him with designed rolls away from him, a ton of chips to slow him down, and quick hit swing passes just over or behind him

The gif bouncing around of him getting pancake blocked wasn’t his finest moment. But you could tell he was off balance from a change of direction when the tackle engaged him. (also that tackle is really good when healthy)

I’m not saying we should draft him but I’m also not saying we shouldn’t based on one game

2 Likes

Turkish getup was my favorite drink until I got cured off the wild turkey and Red Bull.

1 Like

I’m not sold on him though. I’m not sold on anyone. Hutch played good this year. But is he worth the number one or two?