I don't think Detroit is close to done in Free Agency... Here's why!

CJGJ is looking for 10 to 11 million a year, has two offers on table, one from the Brincos and one from the eagles

Like a good shit or bad wet shit after eating taco bell?

Where? To here?

Yes I will lose my shit if that happens.

Source?

1 Like

Brian Branch is a better version of CJ Gardner-Johnson.

No he’s not. CJ is more athletic. He’s also already the best nickel in the league.

So is Branch going to be the best nickel in the league?

I think Branch is the best nickle in this draft and is going to be really good, but yeah I’m not prepared to say he’ll be the best in the league. No way am I going to bet money on that.

I think this is arguable, though certainly he is at least one of the best nickels in the league.

But the question isn’t straight up player for player. It’s CGJ at 25 on one of the league’s largest nickel contracts versus a rookie on a much cheaper contract, be it Branch or otherwise. That changes the calculus.

1 Like

I’d counter by saying that if you pay CJGJ, you still have that first round pick to use somewhere else. Technically we could sign someone else at the number that we’d sign CJ at, but who is at his level at their relative position that is still available?

3 years 34.5 million? I imagine Glenn would love to work with the kid again. He has that versatility the Lions are looking for too

1 Like

Over the past two years Gardner has allowed over a 70% completion percentage on over 100 targets.

Thats Nevin Lawson bad.

People fell in love with Oruwairiye’s ints and when they didn’t come wondered why he was so bad.

Branch can do everything Gardner can do with better coverage ability and might be the surest tackling secondary player to ever come out of college.

1 Like

That’s fair. I wasn’t necessarily talking about Branch specifically though I understand that was the original comp.

1 Like

Oruwariye fell victim to the new bs “illegal contact” rule.

If you’ll remember, before he got benched, he got called for illegal contact 3 times in the first Minnesota game. Right after that is when he started to fall off a cliff.

That’s high praise. He’s definitely a good tackler but is he really the best to ever come out of college? Is CJ a bad tackler?

I’m not saying CJ is a bad tackler.

He definitely struggled to adjust to the rule, but the signs were there long before that. @Air2theThrown and I were telling anyone who would listen last offseason that his underlying metrics were awful.

2 Likes

I wonder about that…really I do wonder…we know we need 3 good safeties…we can’t go in with just Joseph and walker coming back…I really think Sidney brown or Jammie Robinson could be in play in the draft.

I’m not a Gardner hater. He is one of the free agents I wanted.

I’m just starting to think Branch might be a better alternative.

Or at least another option that is able to do similar things.

I feel like if they don’t add another safety in free agency that they’re basically forcing themselves to draft one, and so far Brad has been really good about not forcing himself to draft any specific position, which is why I feel like if we are going to make one more free agent acquisition that it’s going to be a safety.

I’ve been sold on Branch since I watched him play last season. He alone would help take our secondary to another level that Walker couldn’t.

1 Like

Would you prefer Branch at 18 or Battle at 81?

Or which S/RB combo:

Branch/Bigsby

Bijan/Battle

Branch at 18 since anyone else around that draft spot wouldn’t be able to bring the same impact on the field at a position of need.

1 Like