If this was a different team. We have reached SOL when it comes to this defense because this only happens to the SOL-Lions.
I can tell you all I’m not speaking out of emotion. People who are emotional after a loss will blame the world. I am just being real.
I think Dan is a great coach and I think Petzing is perfectly fine. It’s the players, lack of players, and DC.
Maybe Shepp is a good coach and this is ALL on the players. It doesn’t matter. Sometimes good coaches get fired because changes need to be made. That’s the NFL.
I 100% believe in Brad’s way. In building through the draft, and keeping your own players, but you only have a certain window, and before they all become too expensive, or injured. Sam LaPorta is a good TE and TE will become a hole because they may not re-sign him. Branch tore his achilles, and Joseph is probably done. There was a time, during that window, they were the two best safeties in the league.
And Brad has (mostly) failed in the draft, and in free agency to improve the team or keep it competitive. And if you want to go for the win when that window is open you make a big trade or sign a big free agent to go for that SB.
Look at the Rams (for example not looking to debate) they draft extremely well, then get McDuffie. Never mind Donald or Garrett.
In the football world, if this wasn’t Detroit, I would fully expect Shepp to be fired and a big trade to be made as early as today. I would also give up Jamo. He’s been disappointing the same ways he’s always been disappointing. He’s a talented player, but they might need to give some offense to get back some defense. This team will not win without improving the defense.
Brad and Dan should be on the hot seat and that sucks.
I’d be calling up Jimmy in the morning and get him to go back to the Browns and hopefully forcing their hand into releasing him from his contract. Since the NFL blocked trades of non head coaches. Back up a Brinks truck or whatever, I dont care at this point. I know it’s not going to do a whole lot this season as changing the entire defense over to his scheme isn’t going to be an overnight process…but at least it gives time to hopefully evaluate the players we currently have this year and hit the ground running next year.
You have to do the work now and bring someone in that Monday after the Arizona game. Give the new dude 2 weeks. For that matter why are we waiting? Shep has to go and if this was an OC issue he would have been left on the tarmac
I posted after the Bills game that if a move wasn’t made to improve the secondary now the wheels could come off
I was told don’t worry we can wait until the trade deadline and this team will be 4-1 at the bye
Well we just lost one wheel and we sure as hell won’t be 4-1 at the bye
Bryce Young would love to have Jamo again. Jamo doesn’t have the best hands or tracking but Goff doesn’t throw the easiest passes to him either. Bryce had less of an issue connecting with him.
Oh and if you really want to make the Lions offense pedestrian to go with the shit defense. Trade Jamo.
“Hey Shep this was your last game you realized that correct?!”
“Yeah MCDC thanks for the opportunity”
I mean I can’t fathom how Shep could even be mad.
On plane you tell BH you want to talk to Rex and Sean Mcdermit asap. Like last night and have them in the building by noon today. Send the Ford jet and get this moving.
You just have to accept this team isn’t winning a Super Bowl. Come to grips with it. Be at peace with it. They aren’t the geniuses you thought they were. That’s what I did. And then if they somehow get it at a later date, be pleasantly surprised.
I mean, you can’t change the entire defense, the verbage, the whole ball of wax overnight. So you have to hire one of the assistants, we have a couple of former DCs on staff. Then you do a full search in the offseason. I think that’s the best we can hope for in 2026.
I mean it would be fun as hell to see Rex come in and do radical surgery on the D and just try and reduce the points against by a TD a game and then hope the offense gets back on track. The odds of something like that happening has to be less than 1% though.
There is that sliver of change that could work but absolutely it is way past the time to change the whole scheme (do we have one???)
I am just on a struggle bus to grasp why Shep was hired in the first place and at what point do you recognize that he must go???
This is comical. Everyone in the league sees it and yet here we go into another week with Shep as the DC.
Dan’s and his “we are close” I would ask close to what bother? Setting records for being the worse defense in the last decade? 20 years? This either gets better or worse but it will not stay the same. That much we know and I have zero faith Shep can get them better which means they will get worse…LOL. Eventually the Dline is going to lose faith and the Lions will start getting gashed with the run game.