I forgot about this ending

Lions down 14 points with 20 seconds to go in game against the Titans and we come back to tie it.

Why anyone would think it was a good idea to run behind Dominic Raiola in a short yardage, gotta have it play, is beyond me. The guy sets up permanent shop 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage on every single play. Looks like he might even have snapped it earlier than everyone else was expecting, then got blown backward to honor consistency.

3 Likes

don’t make me have to remember that guy

3 Likes

seriously, my day is ruined now

2 Likes

One of the worst pieces of last two minute announcing God has ever seen

1 Like

One thing I had forgotten:

That Stafford had played almost entire game up until the last 1:02 of the 4th quarter. Shaun Hill played so well that day coming off the bench, I thought he had played longer.

One thing I hadn’t forgotten:

Raiola’s screw up on 4th and 1 in OT.

1 Like

I just remember hating Raiola by the end of his Lion’s career. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a center get pushed back as much as that guy did. I know he wasn’t a behemoth, but damn how can the team not replace that guy much earlier than they did? Seems like he was here forever and shouldn’t have been.

Although he wasn’t the most physical center in the league, he was good at helping the line/QB read defenses.

Dom was a classic example of the issue of having a guy who was a minus starter.

So IMO a Plus Starter is top 8 guy to the league
9-24 is an average guy to the league
25-32 are minus starter to the league

By having him be a starter. You created a huge whole in the line that could never really be fixed. Listen he seemed like a good guy and a hard worker.

1 Like

GMFB just had a trivia question about this exact play with the video.
Had me chuckling as I recalled this post.

Pettigrew getting the ball ripped away from him like a child.

Dude how about that block 84 threw on the titans kickoff return for a TD
11 minute mark

[quote=“goldenlions, post:7, topic:38268, full:true”]
Although he wasn’t the most physical center in the league, he was good at helping the line/QB read defenses.
[/quote

Was he exceptional at this? For a second round pick to play 13 years with the same team and never sniff the pro bowl, even as an alternate, seems pretty damning. I think the Lions could’ve picked up a free agent center in any of the years Dom was playing and we wouldn’t have seen a drop off.

There were about 200 posts about that play in the old Den.

1 Like

In the Samkon Gado fumble game, Grady Jackson stole Raiola’s lunch and his manhood. Raiola couldn’t block him.

1 Like

This makes me hate football again

2 Likes

Same here. He reminded me of a rag doll. He would get thrown in any direction the rusher felt like.

Edit to add: I was feeling pretty good until I read this. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I’m feeling bad for digging up these horrible memories for us. But payback to the Titans will be sweet on Sunday.

I think we all have our own way of thinking about it. He was a fringe mediocre player, like Backus. Just good enough to hang onto, just bad enough to hold you back. But, with so many other glaring issues from year to year, you let an entire decade pass before moving on, and even then it was only due to age.