I remember this game

It was heartbreaking. Had we won, I’m almost sure we would had lost to Washington in RFK the following week

2 Likes

“Down 14-3 and after 4 first half interceptions by Danielson, the Lions turned it over to Billy Sims, who ran off a 58 yard gallop that set up one of three Eddie Murray Field goals”

They tackled him at the 2 or the 1…and they kicked a FG?

Why is Danielson throwing the ball at all? BILLY SIMS!!!

I’m not blaming Murray here…this was the coach and Danielsuck.

After SF took the lead lead 24-23, with 1:25 seconds on the clock, the good guys move the ball in scoring position setting up the game winning field goal. I was 10 years old. Monte Clark the Lions HC was on the sidelines praying Murray made the kick. It sailed wide left, heartbreaking!!!

1 Like

That was a great game. Their D was so good vs prime Joe Montana.

The NFCCG the next week was the biggest screw job perhaps of all time when I think it was Ronnie Lott got called for the bogus PI at the end, at least up until recently when the Saints got jobbed so badly against the Rams.

2 Likes

Again…my dad and oldest brother…it broke their hearts. I was like 3 years old when this game happened

still remember the tv i watched it on, and the ottoman it was propped up on. i had a bad feeling about the fg, and when monte clark was praying, i almost knew it wasn’t going to happen.
This was before SOL. It was the second real Lion disappointment that I can recall. The first was the 5-0 to Dallas.

What nobody knows is that Monte Clark was actually praying for Murray to miss.

Fucker!