I think we have witnessed peak NFL in terms of popularity

Pretty cool that we were able to compile all of the triggered snowflakes on this board into one thread.

The NFL is the most popular major sport in America and will continue to be long after all of you die.

He’s right though. D Jackson Literally quoted Hitler! Please do some mental gymnastics while you try to tell me it’s somehow not a million times worse than Drew Brees comments. If we’re going to shame and cancel people for having thoughts, this is high up there on the list of people who should be brought into account.

2 Likes

And I never once said you were wrong, I said that you can’t admit that I was right with re to attendance and you can’t for whatever reason. Perhaps you would like to explain how I misquoted you if you are going to accuse me of doing it.

So why are you replying to me?

I agree with the OP, the NFL has reached it’s peak. I don’t see the fan base expanding beyond it’s current capacity, but I’m not sure they lose fans THIS year, especially in the fall if people are forced into their homes again. But, if the season is shortened, I do think they’ll see a decline and it will continue whenever things go back to normal. When football is being talked about more because of what the players said/are doing instead of what’s going on with the actual sport, it’s the beginning of the end.

1 Like

The NFL is the greatest sports league in the world. I expect they’ll keep rolling and throw some cash at whatever problems come their way, as per usual.

1 Like

You completely missed my point and are arguing from that stance.

Re attendance - I never once said you were wrong. So what the heck do you mean I can’t admit you were right. Where are you getting this from? I said nothing to the contrary. Nothing.

I never said that. I said this.

This statement isn’t anything close to what you claim I said.

Facts are:

1. the Lions have broken their attendance record multiple times recently.
  2. Many games were standing room only lately… In 2018 in particular I recall at least 6 of the 8 home games sold standing room only tickets. In 2019 I recall that (at least) 3 of the first 5 home games sold standing room only tickets. However once Stafford went down attendance dropped.

I am a season ticket holder. I’m sure Jaded or someone else who is a season ticket holder can confirm what I said.

I also gave you multiple articles confirming this. You seem to not want to accept them. A quick google search and you can find many many examples.

Here’s a chart showing the Lions attendance numbers over a 12 year period.

Exactly

The only reason MOST athletes have a platform to spew their mostly stupid thoughts is because they are famous. And being famous has nothing to do with being intelligent or educated. In fact athletes and actors are about the only way in the world where you can get rich and famous while being as uneducated as a cement block.

Unless a person has shown themselves to be an intelligent person that is educated on the topic they are talking about…I don’t see a single reason to listen to what they say. I don’t get nor buy into the “he’s famous so what he says is important to hear”
Thats just hogwash

I know some stoners that have hardly worked a job in their lives and live in a place in disrepair but are happy to tell me all about the economy.

I don’t listen to them either … unless they want to debate the best way roll a joint or which bong gets you the highest or crap like that. Then I will listen to them because it’s what they know and are good at. But I got no use for about anything else they want to lecture me on

1 Like

So “lately” doesn’t mean last year, it means whatever you want it to mean? When you said, “I don’t know if that’s accurate.” and I gave you a link that said it was re attendance…ehhh. what was that? What you DID say is that it must be because of, and I quote, “smaller stadiums”. No kidding, you said “smaller stadiums”. Really, since 2016 how many “smaller stadiums” are there?

Facts are that I stated that attendance was down and you went off on several tangents because, well, who knows.

If you want to talk about the Lions, have at it. This thread was about the NFL and that’s what I responded to. In fact I also offered to give you an example of viewership going up while attendance went down because that is in fact what has been happening. You know, the attendance that “wasn’t accurate”. You can post all thing Lions all day long and none of it matters with re to my point, yes or no? And if you want to not but taken incorrectly you might want to actually give years instead of “lately”.

LOL, what do I need to accept? My post was about the NFL and you went sideways. Was I right or wrong about NFL attendance declining since 2016? I could care less about Lions attendance, they are an NFL team and are part of that statistic.

You’re wasting your time with him, he constantly argues points that are either inaccurate or tries to change the argument to fit his narrative. His condescending tone puts a bow on his intellectually dishonest takes, he’s an uniformed troll that doesn’t deserve your time.

What you said is completely true and backed up with facts, he’ll reject them, but that’s his game. I don’t think attendance will be as high as we’ve seen recently ever again… Not with the public fear of infection coupled with the politicizing of the league… They’re gonna lose fans from both sides

3 Likes

So next year?

My apologies. Gallows humor is one of my pandemic defense mechanisms.

1 Like

And ever increasing ticket prices to pay for the ever skyrocketing salaries of the athletes

There is a breaking point for the fans that like to go to games even without COVID worries and leftist politics taking over the NFL

I was getting close to mine before COVID and the BLM ass kissing started. Now I just wish all this shit would have hit before I had to make my payment for the tickets. I waited till the last hour of the last day as it was because it was getting harder to pull the trigger every year. And that was just based on the ticket prices and team never winning the Division

I agree, glad I didn’t renew mine

1 Like

That game did me in as well.

1 Like

So is everybody going to start listing their credentials before posting anything here, so we know whether we should give a crap about what they’re saying? Or is that rule only for pro athletes?

There are plenty of highly intelligent guys who play in this league. If you think every NFL player is an uneducated moron, that might say more about your biases than their intelligence. But FYI, open any social media app, and you’ll find no shortage of uneducated morons posting there. You don’t have to be a multi-millionaire to share your dipshittery with the world in the year of our lord 2020.

I will be interested to see longish term trends on NFL attendance, but my suspicion is that this stuff is not going to move the needle much. In all seriousness, the one thing we’ve all learned in a decade of twitter/Facebook/whatever other hellsite is how to tune out the nonstop firehose of political garbage coming from people we’d rather not listen to. These are valuable skills we can apply to our TVs as well.

FWIW, I’d bet on a ratings bonanza in the short term—whenever teams are actually able to play—just because people will be so desperate to watch some damn football.

8 Likes

Yes. If you’re commenting outside of football it would be best to state what you know before stating what you think. We have doctor’s, lawyers, IT people and even a professional turf guy. Guess who I’ll listen to when we’re talking the specifics about turfs.

To the broader point, why would we listen to the politics of a radicalized 24 year old who’s never taken a class in civics or American Government?

3 Likes

Or if they have taken such a class, they’ve been provided only one incomplete narrow viewpoint.

1 Like

The problem is not the people talking
The problem is the people listening

4 Likes

I am the last person who should be educating people on their comprehension skills because god knows I suck at grammar but … basic comprehension skills seem lost today. I don’t mean to be harsh or want to come of as a jerk. Please understand that I am trying to help you understand here.

When having a conversation Comprehension and Context are everything.

Lately means - Recently - It has never meant last year or whatever I want it to mean. Come on man!

So let’s look at context to understand what I meant by lately. The context was seasonal attendance trends. Which refers to years. Not one year in 2019. You and I both know you were claiming attendance was down over “recent” years.

Let’s go back to what I actually said.

This means I do not know if your claim is right or wrong. I never called you wrong but you assumed that I did and you want me to claim your right. Which I’m not sure your claim is accurate. There’s really no way to know if game popularity is down because stadiums are smaller … Is attendance really down or is opportunity to attend down? Im not sure to be honest but I could easily argue opportunity is down.

I also gave you the facts that I do know. Not all those facts were just Lions related like your claiming.

Here are the facts that I do know.

NFL stadiums have been getting smaller over the last 20 years. Even though NFL popularity is up. (You agreed TV viewership was up)

More teams are selling out today than they have in the past.

8 NFL teams just last season averaged over 100% capacity. That’s 25% of the league.

The Lions have been breaking attendance records repeatedly in recent years.

Since 2016 the Lions have been selling standing room only seats at home games. In many (If not most) of those games.

About 5 years ago I remember reading an article about how the NFL wanted to work towards smaller stadiums, lower stadium crowds and higher ticket costs. The article claimed the NFL wanted to make attending a game an elite status type of event.

I will bow out of this conversation now.

LOL, I never “agreed” that viewership was up, I stated that it was up and offered to provide YOU a link as you didn’t think I was accurate with my facts with re to attendance. My post was simply about 2016 until now as that’s when the peak was and I linked to show that attendance had dropped since then. OMG, still with the “smaller stadiums” , I’m literally sitting here laughing. WHO CARES, it has nothing to do with what I said.

Iggy said we have seen the peak of popularity. I said with re to attendance since 2016 THAT was true BUT that viewership was up AND that I could get you a link for that too. You decided to throw in a bunch of crap that was not germane to either of those points. So the Lions had more attendance, did it change anything with re to the NFL attendance? No. You decided to go off on these tangents instead of simply sticking to the point. I also mentioned FOREIGN viewership. But for you it’s about small stadiums,(LOL), and the Lions.

Viewership up, attendance down, that’s it. IMO of course attendance will be down if and when we have a season this year but also IMO iggy will say, “See, I told you so it’s a failed product.” No problem he can say anything he wants. Last year he wanted to argue that the PGA was the fastest growing sport, etc, blah,blah blah and that also isn’t true. When Tiger plays, viewership is up. When he’s not on the course huge drop in viewership. Also, with re to golf the number of rounds has fallen significantly because millenials aren’t playing, and that’s when times were good. You wanna see a sport that has peaked, I would go with NASCAR and golf, NFL wouldn’t even make the list.