Identity: ROAD GRADE FOR GOFF: BUILD D

Yeah good point, forgot we don’t have any 6th or 7th round picks.

In 2006 the Carolina Panthers spent the 27th overall pick on DeAngelo Williams to play alongside 34th overall pick DeShaun Foster. In 2008 they spent the 13th overall pick on Jonathan Stewart to play alongside DeAngelo Williams (Foster moved on to another team). The intent was to pair them together, not have Stewart replace Williams. Williams signed an extension for 5 years $43M and Stewart signed an extension for 5 years $40M. So the Panthers had two 1st round picks chosen nearly a year apart and resigned them for $80M.

And they continue to aggressively allocate resources for RB

I wouldn’t draft a RB in the first three rounds this year. Swift and Williams should be an above average duo with Kerryon providing decent insurance. Getting JWill or Harris or Etienne in the draft is a luxury I don’t think we can afford yet.

It makes me wonder if Washington is going to be aggressive with the RB position. The GM for the Panthers who did all of that is a VP over with WFT right now.

They either do or they don’t. It’s Byner-y.

They are sitting at 19, which puts Ettiene or Harris into play.

Redskins could go RB on the first, however they coukd stay wait it out.

Chris Evans would be a good flyer and another late rounder RB . I would be convinced instead of capital spent on JWill.

We need draft capital for sure. Build the team THEN if Goff blows we find a free agent or draft one in 2023.

Kylin Hill is a really talented kid. Pooka Williams as well. Those two and Evans all could really help a team but their heads don’t seem to be screwed on right.

Javian Hawkins is entertaining as can be. Not sure where he goes.

The best way to improve the running game is not drafting another running back, it’d be adding a dominant offensive tackle like Sewell to an already solid o-line group.

Swift and Jamaal Williams would look real nice running behind Decker, Jonah, Ragnow, Vatai and Sewell.

True that.

Sewell
Toney
LB
LB
S

FA isn’t 100% done yet either.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with your plan. They have a coach from the same coaching school as Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay so I expect that sort of offense with a effective zone rushing attack, quick hitting pass route and play action deep shots. Both those teams have (had) game manager QBs which I think Goff is.

I don’t believe in waiting to draft a QB . I’ve seen teams do it, but usually they trade down and collect a bunch of picks. Like Buffalo (next year took Allen but passed on Mahomes - collected Trumaine Edwards among others in the process IIRC) or Cleveland (passed on Watson for a future first and took Baker plus landed Denzel Ward). Neither team just flat passed on QB. Maybe there are other examples. If you have a shot at what you feel is a great one, you take him. Unless you already have one, of course.

But not posting to go down that road. I’d be find with this approach if we go with Goff. Need to get Deebo Samuel Robert Woods types though. Maybe a RB that can bust people up like Williams

2022 is going to be a big year for us. Should have lots of cap and lots of picks.

As of now this is correct. I will be shocked if we do not select someone in the 6th or 7th round.

Modified it to my liking. :wink:

I like the majority of the plan, but I’m out on Javonte.

Hockenson
Swift
Okudah
Oruwariye
J Okwara
T Walker

Those are the 6 guys I expect to take MASSIVE steps forward in 2021!!!

Our HC is a physical specimen and master motivator by all accounts. A guy who but knee caps for 10 ears in the league and racked up nearly 5 full seasons as a starter at TE. He will help Hock take the Kittles/Kelce leap.

Our RB coach was a dual threat RB who had 3 different 1500 yards plus 6-7 TD seasons in the league. Swift is freakish athlete with good vision and balance. He scored 10 times as a rookie on a last place team in turmoil. He averaged a full ypc more than our other two backs really highlighting how bad the offense was at running the ball. SWIFT HAS 1150 RUSHING AND 600 RECEIVING THIS YEAR! Plus 550 from Williams and 300 from KJ or a late round rookie.

We have 3 young and talented DBs about to be coached by a pro bowl DB at DC.

Bottom line I’m not using resources to trump over young guys that I want to see start 16 games and get almost every snap.

We have gaping holes at UT, RT, WR1 and Slot WR, and MLB and SS- I’d start there.

3 Likes

In terms of draft capital … the Saints made history when they traded 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks in 1999 draft… plus 1st and 3rd round picks in 2000 for #5 pick to draft Ricky Williams.

Only 2 years later… they used the 23rd pick of the 2001 draft to select Deuce McAlister.

A year later… the Saints shipped Ricky to Miami for two 1st round picks (2002 and 2003).

Side note… the trade proposal the Bengals will always regret passing on.
In 1999, the Saints inquired about a trade to #3 overall. They offered 9 picks to the Bengals.
It was the same 6 picks the Saints sent to WFT plus the same 1st rd pick in 2000… plus a 1st in 2001… and a 2nd rd pick in 2002!!! They turned down three 1st round picks!

Bengals refused that trade… and then drafted Akili Smith at #3 pick!!!

Agreed. I just wouldn’t start there. I think a MONSTER DT is the best way to upgrade us the fastest. I just dont think one’s available. I don’t want to take “the best guy,” when it prevents us from snagging one in the future. Brockers and a high draft pick would likely mean we don’t spend resources on that space next year. I’d rather get the right guy, than just get a guy.

I feel like the other positions are easier to fill/find. We’ll have a ton of capital to spend and cap room next season. We are not going to amply fill all of the holes in one offseason. I want to go with who will give long term impact, rather than just trying to win now.

I completely agree that the holes you mention are bigger holes. I just see us positioned to get a difference maker now. Build the D correctly, and get the most talented guys, instead of settling and plugging holes. If they’re plugging the holes with studs (that’s what she said), I’m good with it.

The more I think about it JWill is a luxury pick. OL or LB or DT. Even DB is my choice. Hopefully with a trade down.

I think our chances of trading down will be easier than Atlanta. The price will be steep at Atlanta price. Detroit not so steep, lets say to Denver or NE.

7 to 8 players are really needed this year.

1 Like

Who is “JWill”?

I scrolled the whole thread trying to figure out who this is. Could someone post a link or a bio?

Too much work for the reader…

2 Likes

Javonte Williams RB North Carolina

2 Likes