If I was Saleh, I'd choose the Jaguars

He has like 17 first round picks on that line, so he better be able to get his guys to fly around!

I’ve heard from numerous Florida snowbirds who say Detroit and its suburbs are far better than Jacksonville. They said it’s basically Hicksville USA.

I think you would need to spend a little time in both places and then we can run down the 1,000 reasons why Jacksonville is a better city to live in than Detroit. But it did get down to 37 degrees in Jacksonville today, so people that I know down there are freaking out!

1 Like

I really hope the Lions don’t hire Saleh.

I don’t believe a 1st time head coach that leans a bit towards the energetic/rah-rah approach is the way to go for this organization.

I want an experienced GM along with an experienced coach this time around.

Which brings me back to the point that it’s atypical in this business not to get canned at some point. Raise your hand if you want to get fired by the team you grew up with and have you and your family carry that stigma.

The defensive line is about three players away from being a pressure inducing D-Line. Shelton, Williams, and Penisini are all under contract for next year, so how can you incorporate those guys into a successful defensive scheme? How do you take some of the ingredients on hand and make a better dish?

1 Like

Re: Jax vs Det as a city

All points made ITT are valid on some level which is funny. Close to the beach hard to imagine Detroit could compare and realistically it’s where a lot of these guys will live. Inland Jax is not that nice. Beach = nice af.

The GM isn’t going to be living in the ghetto or projects of either city. They live in the suburbs, but the weather is much nicer in Florida than in Michigan.
Would you rather live near the ocean on a beautiful beach or the suburbs of Detroit?

If I got to coach the team I grew up loving - Detroit…Hands down

Me? I grew up in Michigan and I’ll always stick to cooler weather. Florida is way too freaking hot for my tastes.

1 Like

There is the ocean which lines basically the entire state. Then there is AAAAAALLLLL the rest of the state that isn’t on the ocean. Which is essentially one big hot and humid as hell swamp. They can have it. The beach is a nice place to visit. That’s about it.

1 Like

Never been to either but if I had my choice I would take Michigan because I love the cottage/lake life vs the beach.

Altho I would love to go deep sea fishing!

1 Like

One point to make, in a demanding, pressure driven job is this-:In Jacksonville, he’s already familiar with having a professional routine there as a coach with no distractions from family and friends back home. That’s an advantage. The only thing a coach wants more than sleep is quality, distraction and drama free time to work, and plenty of it.

Saleh LIVED in MI for many years. He knows this state and the cities. Born in Dearborn. Coached at MI State and Central. He has been in Seattle, San Fran and he ias been in TX and FL. He gets how taxes affect his paycheck and he understands coaching, that there are only 32 head coaching gigs and there is no way he is gonna let taxes pick the place he wants to coach IF he even has a choice.

IF he has a choice in head coaching gigs he will pick the GM that aligns best with what he wants to do and then what talent the team currently has.

I lived in FL for four years and MI most of my life. I now live in TN (Nashville area). I would return to MI in a snap if I could. And I bet Saleh feels the same way. In MI he can hang with the coaches and GMs of the other sport teams that Jacksonville doesn’t have. He can get to know Yzerman. He isn’t going to actually LIVE in Detroit, he would choose a smart and beautiful suburg that is still close to work although maybe, just maybe he WOULD choose a pocket of the city to live in> Who knows? BUT…with family here, memories here, all the work he has done here…I can see him wanting to be the LEGEND HE WOULD BE if he got the Lions to win a playoff game with Stafford. He would become a LEGEND with that one small feat and in Jacksonville…no one will even know who he is.

1 Like