I'm not so certain the FO is the one putting things on hold for Goff extension

I was sitting here thinking-what about Jared Goff’s agent? …admittedly, I know ZERO about his agent-that said? I highly doubt it’s Goff asking too much-he is so easy-going.

Goff’s agent may be holding out for more, once again I don’t know the guy. or is it that we were just waiting until after FA, trades, and waivers??? I haven’t heard a thing about Goff since before the draft.

If agents are good for anything, it’s chasing the money. Not sure why Goff wouldn’t accept anything less than market value though. I’m sure he’d feel disrespected if he’s not offered what he’s worth.

1 Like

I think its related to length of extension more than annual salary. For example the Lions may want to extend him 3 or 4 years and the agent wants 6 or 7 years to essentially retire him a Lion.

5 Likes

I agree, essentially baring a full on collapse by Goff he wont become cheaper next offseason with tagging and extending etc. All it would do if we were trying to undervalue him is cause a potential point of friction.

I think it is purely length of contract at this point

2 Likes

Agreed.
I think they are very very close on AAV. No issues there. We all know it will be 45-50m

But yes i agree Term and Guarantee is definitely the sticking point.

4-7 years is a big gap

Guarantees tho. Starting QBs on their 2nd/3rd contracts are getting anywhere from 37% to 67% Guaranteed.

Thats a MASSIVE gap. And a lot of money.

Say they agreed on 50aav
So say Goffs Agent. 7 years 65% guaranteed vs
Lions 4 years 45%

Thats 227.5m vs 90m in guarantees!

Thats a lot of money.

2 Likes

Player almost always want the shorter deal, teams a longer deal.

With the salary cap increase, I’m thinking low to mid 50’s now, upper 40’s were last season.

2 Likes

thank you all that replied your statements were really well though out , correct, and super reasonable . you guys are awesome, that is why I have been in The Den for 22-23 years now. because I get the best insight and knowledge HERE. again another shout out to @Nate and all the MODs. you guys rock !

3 Likes

Goff’s value could certainly take a tumble with the Lions. If he gets hurt and Hooker comes in and shines, then Goff and his $55 million ain’t happening. Ask Drew Bledsoe how that works. And Hooker is pretty good, so that is not all that unrealistic. Hooker was eating up the SEC just as much as Stroud was the Big10.

1 Like

I think it’s all about the guaranteed money.

Goff stock is at an all time high and I doubt it can get any higher. He lead his team to the division championship and almost to the Super Bowl.

Him and his agent know the leverage is in their corner and I’m sure they’re asking for as much guaranteed money as they can.

Meanwhile the Lions don’t have to be in a hurry to get a job done. They may actually want to know what they have in Hooker and if a Goff deal doesn’t get done the Lions still have options like the tag.

It might be in the Lions best interest to wait and see if Goff’s stock drops…. However that tactic runs the risk of upsetting the player, team and fans. Which the Lions probably don’t want to do.

My guess is the deal gets done but I won’t be surprised if it drags on a bit before hand.

4 Likes

I do believe it’s the length and guarantee but I think the Lions are the ones that want the shorter deal.
I don’t think the Lions are quibbling over a few million on the AAV. (Somewhere between $45M and $53M).
I think Lions want a Daniel Jones type contract (4 yr / $160M, $81M - G) extension where there is a two year out.
Goff camp wants a true Franchise QB contract like Burrow, Herbert, Lamar, Hurts, and Josh Allen.
They all had true 5 year contracts that didn’t have an out for the team before 4 years.
At the end of camp (after a good look at Hooker) give Goff a 4 year extension worth $200M, guarantee $100M.
The Lions won’t be able to get out until after the 2026 season.
In that time Holmes will know whether he wants Goff to finish his career a Lion or trade him to turn team over to Hooker or another QB.

I mean it has been stated Goff is in no rush, but its not about leverage or demanding more money. When you know ur happy where you at and its gonna get done, there is no need for urgency and anxiety.

And playing on a Franchise Tag for Goff wouldn’t be a big deal, it would mean more money.

2 Likes

Goff’s deal is trickier than St Brown’s and Sewell’s for several reasons.

St Brown and Sewell are both moving into their peak years and are at or very near the top of their position skill wise, so it’s pretty easy to agree on their value given that there’s a high level of conviction that both of them will provide value and most likely get another renewal. As good as Goff is, he’s not at the very top of his position, and he’s also at an age where he’s pretty much at his peak. If all is well, we get the same Jared Goff for the next however many years, he’s not suddenly going to become drastically better at throwing off platform or scrambling, so it’s difficult to place him within the existing spectrum of QB contracts.

Goff probably also wants a deal that essentially ensures he will be the QB for several years to come. He doesn’t want a deal that might allow the Lions to move on a couple of years down the line. He’s already been cast aside by the Rams, and seen the Lions draft a potential successor in Hooker, so he’s going to want a deal that makes it really difficult for the Lions to make a change at QB. On the flip side, the Lions aren’t going to want to lock into Goff for 4 years or more. Historically, if a QB / head coach combo doesn’t win a championship in their first five years together, then they simply don’t. Brad and Dan don’t run the team based on sentiment, and unless you have a Mahomes tier QB the front office have to be able to evaluate that position like they do every other one.

The term and the guarantees will be the sticking points. Goff has passively put a bit of pressure on by recently saying how much he wants to be a Lion for the long term, but he’s definitely not going to sign whatever’s put in front of him. The franchise tag will also be a factor in negotiations, the Lions will rightly point out that they can keep him under contract for two additional years for $42.4 million in 2025 and then somewhere in the region of $50 million in 2026. I don’t think that’s a path either party wants to go down, but it does provide a baseline valuation for the Lions to justify not paying him a huge amount more than the average value of those two tags.

Finally, the agent wants to get the best deal possible for his client, because that’s the best deal for him too. Goff won’t and shouldn’t give any kind of discount, it’s not his job to manage the salary cap, that’s up to Brad to decide how much he’s happy to allocate to a QB.

While there’s no urgency to get it done I don’t expect it to move quickly. The Lions will have a position, and Goff and his agent will have theirs. If they can find a compromise then a deal gets done, if they can’t then we enter the brinkmanship of tagging him and playing that game.

3 Likes

I really think we this is being looked at way too closely.

I am of the opinion that Goff has stated he will take a hair cut on his deal as long as the team shows a commitment to the team and him in regards to the players and supporting cast. And that is my belief until proven otherwise.

And based on how Goff has discussed the whole process. I feel like he wants a longer deal and a no trade clause. He wants to win and have security. He already has plenty of money. So as long as the deal is reasonable he is fine.

And I get it my position is stupid pro benefit the Lions. But I am not sure why it is not a reasonable and plausible explanation.

2 Likes

The only way the contract is in that range is if it is 100% by Goff’s choice to take less. The cap is sky rocketing. His play earned a market resetting contract. Plain and simple. Yes i want him to take less. But every player who is top 5-8 at his position negotiating a contract has an agent that will ask to reset the market. Period. Especially with the cap jump. Anything less that 55-58mil apy is a home town discount.

Remeber when the lions had to reset the market to get mid level players to resign? Cory Redding? Jeff Backus?

Interestingly, both Goff and Wentz share the same agent, Ryan Tollner

Tollner got a heck of a deal for Goff with the rams, but also acquiesced to pressure from the Eagles. He seems motivated to get a fair deal done.

It’s so much money I doubt he is nickel and diming. Probably something to do with term/guarantee as others have said.

The reality is the Lions are going to do what’s best for the franchise. I suspect the Lions may want some out clause in the event Goff regresses.

1 Like

I think Goff will want to take a team friendly deal to help the team and keep a great OL in front of him. He is a different cat.

He values happiness, love, & connection more than most.

2 Likes

yeah contract details, the length of time he wants to be here-Jared doesn’t have a mean bone in him , I have mad faith in Goff-it’s the details that are being finalized-I think we will hear something before long SINCE Goff is the Head QB.

It also runs the risk of him ballin’ out again next year. The time it goes without getting done running concurrent with him continue to play well just ticks the numbers up slowly but surely. They already said “show us again in 2023” and he went to the NFCC.

It’s a gamble for sure if they go that route.

That’s just it. I don’t think that raises his stock anymore.

He went from dud to stud. In the last two years he’s been as good as any QB in the league. He took the lowly Lions within a hair of the SB. Even if he went out and won a SB I do not think it raised his stock any.

Fans across the country are cheering Jared Goff at sporting events non football related. He has adhered himself to the hearts of fans everywhere.

I can’t think of another QB who has done this. I just don’t think his stock can get any higher than it is right now.

5 Likes