Is it time for a NFL farm system?

As the draft ends, just seems with the continued growing popularity in the NFL product, never understood why the NFL doesn’t have some sort of minor league or associated with say the CFL, XFL/USFL or even when Arena football, for those late round draftees or UDFAs.
Have prospects that might not see genuine real playing time for years if at all beyond the practice squads, be able to play.

Just seems that the NFL could expand the draft and fill USFL rosters with team prospects. Would allow players, especially UDFAs that might need more time to develop that don’t make a team, get better vs just sitting on the practice squad, and even show off to other teams. Plus have value to their team if another team would be interested in a trade. Plus could help the value of USFL games with NFL prospects.

I remember watching the NFL Europe games and players would have NFL team patches that owned those players rights.

1 Like

I’ve thought the same thing for years.
Makes sense I think :person_shrugging:

I just dont think the league supported it properly. Since it was a financial failure they shut it down.

It is high time they brought it back.

Jake Delhome was Kurt Warners back up in NFLE… both made it to SuperBowls

UFL has said that’s what they want to become, but that is up to Roger. In the meantime they’ll keep churning out a guy or two every year. We got one of them in the offseason, now eyeballing Bates.

We have one. It’s called NCAA.

4 Likes

I’ve been saying it for years. Now that college kids make money it’s a little different, but I honestly think there is room in the market for a farm system so kids don’t have to pretend to go to college and use resources that could go to those with real academic interests.

College does a fine job of this

2 Likes

yeah… and with NIL money….

it helps the NFL even more.

I would guess the money for college players continues to get bigger… and this will continue to help late bloomers have NFL careers.

The 24 or 25 year old rookies will become a regular thing.

The NFL will NEVER spend money on an official farm system. The most they will do is expand the roster from 53 and expand the practice squad limit up from 16.

Theres already the UFL and CFL. They dont need to spend the money on one. Thats the key.