Is Laiatu Latu Lions' EDGE of Future? Could the talented rusher be paired with Aidan Hutchinson?

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/is-laiatu-latu-lions-edge-of-future

Robert Quinn or Zack Follett? That’s the medical question.

The medical history will be a major factor in where Latu lands in the Draft. He’s a consensus first-round prospect based on his skills, but medical evaluations could be the difference between him going as high as the Top-10 or toward the back end of the first round.

Actually I think it will be the difference between going mid-first or on day 3. No way is a bad medical evaluation only gonna knock him to the end of the first. It will knock him entirely off the board for a lot of teams. Others will take a flyer on him, but not until the cost is cheap. Like the Raiders with Maurice Hurst.

The career threatening nature of their injuries reminds me of Jaelan Phillips who UCLA wouldn’t clear. So he transferred to Miami and finished up there. Medicals will tell the tale, but if Latu is good to go…man, that would be quite a piece off the edge to pair with Hutch. But…if his medicals are good to go, he won’t be there at 29 so…there’s that.

1 Like

Yeah agreed. He’ll either go in the middle of the 1st (like Phillips) or day 3. Don’t really see any in-between for him.

The question should be; “is he a Lion”.

I agree with everything you’re saying but….i see a player too talented to drop out of round one. Heck I would be surprised if he doesn’t go top 20.

His medical would have to be really scary bad for him to not go round one.

Could that happen…. Sure … we’re talking about a guy who medically retired. But …. We’re also talking about a guy who is a top 10 player in the draft if his Medical was clean.

My guess is we see a Tua like situation and a team will snatch him up and take a chance. He’s just too talented.

The Answer is no … he won’t be a Lion unless the Lions want to trade up to get him.

He’s either getting drafted way before us or likely not at all by us. Holmes does like to take injury gambles but I suspect he’s gone long before we would feel comfortable.

If I were to bet on it I’d bet he’s drafted top 20.

He wouldn’t be one of my top ten personally. Top 20 for sure. The hand usage and pass rush plan are top notch but I don’t see a ridiculous amount of juice and that leaves me wondering about how much further upside he has. He’ll also turn 24 during the season.

All that being said he’s turnkey ready to be a pass rush presence so I’d be elated if we landed him even if it required a small trade up.

Yup his lack of explosion is more worrying to me than even his injury history. I mean around 29 it’s worth the risk IMO. Still really like him as a prospect though due to his floor.

I like him too. He’s going to be able to rush the passer. But in the top ten I don’t see how you can take him over someone like Dallas Turner who is 26 months younger and a helluva lot more explosive. Latu might be better right now but I doubt that will remain to be the case.

If he’s not hurt, I agree. Some of the best hand work I’ve ever watched.

But if his medicals are ugly, he could plummet. It doesn’t matter how talented he is. The best ability is availability, as we all know.

1 Like

I think that the Lions will go CB as their 1st draft selection. I’m guessing that they trade up for him.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.