Is OT a "need"?

If Sewell isn’t there, then what?

But if the guys available are lower rated then other guys, I hope your team doesn’t reach to fill a need.

RT is the 13th most important player on the team? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Smith or Waddle

At #7 then? BR rates positions but doesn’t separate Left and Right tackles which makes their opinion somewhat worthless…

Then why are you so dead against Parsons at 7?Guy is the highest rated defensive player in this draft. FIelds is the 3rd- 4th rated prospect at his position…I’d be much more comfortable taking parsons knowing what he brings. Much less bust factor than fields

Crosby actually played decent last year at RT, he held his own for sure. It’s not a massive hole or need. However, Crosby is also not very physical in the run game and he’s a better pass blocker.

"According to Pro Football Focus, Crosby received a career-high 68.1 pass-blocking grade and a 56.9 mark for his performance as a run-blocker. Those marks hover around league average, but are low for those who started as many games as he did.

As a pass-blocker, he ranked 52nd in the league, per PFF, among players who suited up for at least 106 snaps, which is league average. His run-blocking numbers don’t rank as high, however."

If we could land Sewell, he would be a big upgrade, and Crosby would be the ideal backup swing tackle.

I don’t know. Whose the RT now? Crosby? Vaitai? Does it matter either way? If Vaitai, whose the RG, Stenberg?

i am a little unsure of Vaitai at RG to be honest. His best work over his career has come at tackle. Stenberg didn’t even look good in the system he was drafted in, and it appears we’ll be running a zone based scheme which he may struggle in.

So the right side is looking iffy to me.

But what if Sewell isn’t available?

I take Parsons then. And look for a tackle later in the draft.

BPA

Then its Micah Parsons or a trade down. I’d take Jenkins and best WR rd 2 and pick up an additional pick

1 Like

Well, Slater’s not as easy a pick as Sewell, but that just might be the call. That or hope for a Leatherwood type in the 2nd. That’s the problem, though… Similar to when we picked Ragnow, when the run starts it can only last as long as there’s talent. Those Gs and Cs started coming off the board in the 1st. Could happen to the crop of OTs this year.

We have never seen Stenberg play a snap in the nfl yet. There was no preseason last year, so he hasn’t even taken preseason snaps. I do like his college tape though, dude was a mauler in the run game. The jury is still completely out on him. Hopefully he is a pleasant surprise in training camp.

Sure. But in this year’s crop of talent, what are we looking at for non-qbs? 2 OTs, 4 Receivers and a LB. Maybe a CB is in the fringe at their grade. So, it’s really not that tough of a call.

I’d take Jenkins over slater all day long. Kids a magician with technique and an absolute mauler

Yeah, but we were signing guys off the street and practice squad before playing him a down, or sometimes him even suiting up, so that is a pretty bad sign IMO. But I’m with you. He’s not out of it yet. Biut how much can we count him next year? I think I might want to find myself a guard or tackle.

Later. Honestly don’t even know if I’d address OT, because Big V and Crosby will do for a rebuilding team like us for the time being.

I’m not “dead against Parsons” as you say. He’s not in my top 3 (Fields, Smith, Sewell), but he’s probably 4 or 5 with Chase. I wouldn’t mind the pick actually, I just don’t like him as much as I like other guys.

Another reason is that OL and TE generally take the longest to develop and provide impact of any position. If you are rebuilding and getting future guys because some of your guys are 1-2 years out from a new contract, you get them now.

RBs and WRs are usually ready to contribute within 6 games. Some OL take 2 years.

1 Like