Is OT a "need"?

Last season 4 OT’s were taken in the first 11 picks, I believe only 2 will be picked in the top 11 this year. I believe that Sewell will be gone before we pick and that if we trade down we will go past the 2nd best OT. I also believe that at least 4 OT’s go in the first, meaning that if we don’t get Sewell we are likely looking at the 3rd best OT in a trade down, or reaching at #7 when there is better talent available, or getting the 5th or 6th best OT available when we pick in the 2nd.

Safety. D tackle, D end.

2019 the 41st pick got the 7th best OT, 2018 the 5th best OT was in play. Last year it would have been the 7th best. So, people believing that just because their mock draft sites tell them that there will still be hi caliber choices left at OT at #41 are wrong. it is simply a stretch. I am absolutely certain that if we don’t take an OT or WR with our first round pick the BPA at #41 is going to be a WR or another position, there is no way it will be an OT. That’s what you’re looking at here. Nixon, the Big 10 D player of the year if we take a WR in the first would be my pick.

That’s an odd take.
How many NFL teams have a “finished” O-line besides Dallas?

Teams taking the best player available approach don’t just focus on one unit or group. The BPA approach means you take the best player that you can put on the field despite the position or unit…for the most part.

This pick #7 not pick 41 in rd 2 You take the best player at 7 an this case it would be a OT IMO that also finished OL

And if Sewell is not there?

Try and trade back if not take best wr or LB get OT next RD

Sure, those are needs, but I think was being asked about using our 1st pick. We don’t see prospects at those positions associated with the top 10 at all. For the 1st pick we would be choosing from a pool of players that consist of: Receivers, Offensive Tackles and an off-ball Linebacker. There’s an outside chance that a well-regarded QB is there, too. We need them all, though QB is debatable. The question I’m answering is whether OT is a need, to which I said yes and that I’d fill it with the available talent in the 1st 2 rounds. It looks to me like the prudent thing would be to simply take an OT at 7 unless they’re both gone. In that case, you might as well pop for a receiver because it’s simply the best talent available and hope one of your plan B OTs are still there in the 2nd.

What OT is worth the pick in the 2nd round?

If Sewell is gone who do you take in the 2nd?

I don’t know. I look at players from 20-50 and can imagine them all being good fits and day 1 starters on this roster.

I would hope that Brad Holmes would send the pick in as fast as possible, if Sewell was on the board at #7.

Can’t get my hopes up that he will fall past CIN at #5. I’m definitely on board with taking Slater at #7 if the Lions feel he is worth the pick. Run the ball, and protect the passer. Every NFL Offense is ineffective, if they don’t possess either of these traits at an great/elite level.

Finally, I don’t feel safe at all going into the season with: Vatai, Crosby, and Nelson as the primary guys to lean on at the RT position. Maybe one of them steps their game up? But that is more of a “possibility” rather than a “probability”. Don’t bet on it…

OT is definitely a “need”

If Sewell isn’t there?

So, looking at all the mocks and what I’m hearing here, I’m all over not getting an OT period if Sewell is gone. One of the ONLY mocks I’ve seen that has us taking an OT not named Sewell is Walters, and they picked an OT who isn’t even draft eligible this year. Somewhere between 4 and 6 OT’s are likely to be gone before we pick in the 2nd. Sorry, there’s going to be way better value other places, I’m out and it doesn’t get better as the draft goes on. We have LOT’s of needs, not smart to reach on this one.

I am not a huge fan of Bucky Brooks’ opinions… and he lost me when he ranked RB at #7 here.

Here is little bit of info I found when looking at some info about how RTs seem to be drafted earlier in recent years. I found that 9 ORTs were drafted in the top 13 picks since 2013… while only 4 RBs were drafted in the top 13 picks for same time frame.

Of those 9 ORTs…

Lane Johnson… won a Super Bowl
Jack Conklin… went to AFC championship while with Titans
Andrus Peat… shifted into OG after the Saints drafted another 1st rd RT (Ramczyk)… and played in NFC championship
Mike McGlinchey… played in Super Bowl
Tristan Wirfs… won a Super Bowl

RBs???
Of the 4 RBs taken in top 13 picks… those teams have won 1 playoff game (Zeke Elliot 2018)
Looking at the 9 RBs taken in 1st rd since 2013… add Edwards-Helaire for 1 more playoff win (he had 6 carries for 7 yards in AFC Champ).

Another interesting an specific bit of info…

Lane Johnson has played in 12 games or more in 6 of his 8 years in Philly.
In those 6 years… Philly’s offense ranked #12 or better each time.
In the 2 years he missed over 1/2 of the season… Philly offense ranked in the 20’s.
Obviously… can’t give all that credit to Lane Johnson… but he is fairly important to their success.

1 Like

I agree … RT is definitely a need.

I think we have to grab an OT in the first 3 rounds bare minimum.

You need a starting RT. If you need 14 starters (I think that’s high) then what does it matter which one you fill first?

Their all a need… right?

I’d also argue that OT has the potential to have the bigger impact. It helps your QB and your run game.

Nelson has promise and he moves fairly well. But he’s still very raw and has plenty to work on. Sometimes you can get by on your athleticism if you match up well. That’s what he did vs CHI.

This DL class is pretty weak and I think our DL is mostly set. We have our 4 main starters locked down. I honestly don’t expect many more changes on that DL.

Our starting CB’s are locked in and we need at least one safety. It’s a deep safety class (but it lacks top shelf talent) and the Rams have done an excellent job at finding safeties in the mid rounds. I think we try to do the same.

CB however should always be in play. You can never have enough good corners and we need a slot CB. This is a nice CB class with some real nice top shell talent in it. I do think we will draft a CB at some point but I think it’s in the mid rounds and we target a slot CB type. You can get those guys late. Someone like Rachad Wildgoose

This OT class has some really good OT’s in it but the depth drops off quick after the top 8-9 guys. If you want a starting caliber OT then we will likely have to get one by round two.

WR is a big need but it’s also a deep class. I actually think you can get a starter as late as round 3. But WR should be in play every round.

LBer is a bigger need than CB and DL in my opinion. This draft has some nice LBer talent in it. I think LBer is in play at any point.

This draft has a ton of talent in it that fits our needs. Especially between round 2 and 3. I’d really like to see us add another pick in round two without losing our 3rds.

1 Like

I knew when I posted it that 13th wasn’t realistic, but, there aren’t that many articles that rate positions. Then there was the article where they didn’t differentiate between left and right tackle, rating them the same and that was wrong too. But, right tackle is getting closer in value to left tackle even though they aren’t the same in importance. If Sewell is there, you can make the argument that an improved running game is every bit as important as what a #1 WR would bring. We have a home run RB who is limited to singles and doubles right now, I get it. The thing is we aren’t going to get a Tristan Wirfs caliber player by waiting this year, he was the best OT in the draft last year and it wasn’t close. Had he played LT at IOWA he would have been the first OT off the board. In an extremely rare situation you had a RT that could project to LT instead of the other way around. I’m a Sewell or not at all guy but understand if they wanted to take a swing at one like with our 2nd pick in the 3rd. We aren’t 1 player away from the SB here, so in the end I would be very interested in seeing what, if any, kind of draft capital teams throw our way for #7 even if Sewell is there. Doesn’t mean I’d take it, would just like to know what I’m missing out on if I don’t. Also, I think “generational” talent is pretty lame no matter who is being discussed. I’ll bet right now that the 4th OT taken in last years draft has a better career than Sewell.

Speed and toughness
WR or OT
RB
WR or OT
^^^First 3 picks^^^

Now I wonder which running back BigNatty wants in the 2nd round…

Is there anyone in particular he’s been hoping for? :upside_down_face:

1 Like