Is OT a "need"?

Very good post, several posters on this board need to be reminded of that often, including myself. This isn’t a one year fix. We have 4 more first rounders in 2022 and 2023. Take the most impactful player we can get @ 7 regardless of team needs. Don’t just draft a WR because we need them, Matt Millen would do that. Take the best player on the board!

Screw that I want everything fixed right now and a superbowl win this year.

We should just keep trading down and stock pile a zillion picks that way we can draft all these sleeper late rounders and fix everything all at once.

I mean, I guess that’s the mentality some people have? It’s one thing to trade down and still get the same high level player (Okudah) which I support. It’s entirely another to trade down and pass on an elite talent to take a few average guys, then I don’t support that at all.

1 Like

keep calm dream on GIF

I know you are kidding with that… but…

2 Likes

I totally agree, my point was they have a ton of needs but didn’t factor in next years picks in the process. I agree, this is a couple year process. I have no problem drafting a difference maker. IMO only Pitts, Sewell, and Chase a pure difference makers this draft. Time will tell though.

2 Likes

Bingo!

I’d rather have a difference maker in round one.

When I look at the draft I’m looking for difference makers who would have a fit.

I think those guys are Parsons and Smith. I could argue Sewell fairly easily.

If I can’t get those guys I’ll take a trade down and Surtain, Horn, Slater, Darrisaw etc.

2 Likes

some people on this board say QB is the only pick but if we don’t want the 2nd best OT why would we want the 4th or 5th best QB just sayin

1 Like

and if we can’t trade down then what i’m just asking the ?

I’d add Parsons to that list. I think he has all pro potential.

1 Like

It just seems the especially the last few drafts the grouping from 20 to 40 are grading out the same range. Very nice talent. Usually see several players that would be nice fits for the Lions.

There are several this year as well. I expect it to be the same next year.

I’d rather use a comp third next year coupled with second to move way back up than use our second this year and our second next. Just feel we’d sit here looking at the traded pick thinking: damn it be nice to have that one back with (insert name) still on the board.

Not saying I’m against using next year’s lower round picks if you can swing those for same round this year, since it seems to be a buyers market. Normally you can’t do those types of deals. Maybe it’ll be possible this year.

1 Like

Slater tested like Joe Thomas with a 4.8 forty and 33 bench reps at 6’4” and almost 310. I bet he settles in around 315 once he’s not training to run a 4.8 forty a s that will help his cause in anchoring at RT. Joe Thomas also had 33 in arms.

Slater allowed 5 pressures, NOT SACKS, PRESSURES! He allowed ZERO sacks and his 90 run blocking rating was tops!!! He locked down Chase Young, and can kick over to LT if there were an injury…

Flowers, Big V and Collins will cost 38M this year, and carry a collective dead cap hit of over 58M, so they are here in 21’. Hopefully all 3 return to 2019 form, and better coaching and a move back in to RG have me optimistic for Big V…

Both Flowers and Big V carry big dead cap hits in 22’ also, so while getting rid of their combined 28M cap hit seems appealing, it’s unlikely. It only costs us like 13M more to keep Flowers and Big V vs cut them and I doubt we can find a better DE and RG for 6.5M each. Collins does save us 7M by cutting him, so he’s gone in 22’!!!

So a 3 tech next to Brockers, 3 starting LBers, FS, CB, WR1, WR2, slot WR, RT, and maybe a rotational edge

LB x 3
WR x 3
RT
UT
FS
CB

That sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t at all if done properly.

That is 9 resources right there for 10 needs. BUT- I don’t consider WR2 or LB2, or LB3 needs in 2021…

Why? Ty Will or Permian will prove to be a WR2, hell Cephus might take a leap and play like a WR2 by season end. We need 800 yards from “one of them, and 700 from the other 2 combined. Pretty realistic.

We also have a LB2 in Collins for 2021, and between Anzalone and JRM we should have a 1 year filler at WLB (LB3)

We are in a rebuild and we can’t expect a “comfortable” starter at ever position, but we can call T Will, Collins and Anzalone starters for 21’…

So we NEED 7 players and we have 5 picks…

Free Agency? Sheldon Richardson, Golden Tate, Tre Boston, and Devondre Campbell or KJ Wright.

Just give me Boston and Campbell or Tate. Gotta be 2-4M 1 year deals there???

So now I NEED 4-5 players.

4 guys fill the BPA, and need boxes… Sewell, Parsons, Slater, J Chase. Either Sewell or Chase, or both likely gone.

So do I take Parsons then “a RT” in 2? Do I take Slater then Bolton in 2?

Or do I sign Campbell or KJ Wright now… draft Sewell or Slater, lock in my RT, and possibly LT 3-4 years from now. Protect Goff. Open up the run game. Create 3-4 years OL continuity??? Then draft a WR in 2, and then a MLB and a WR in 3, and a rush DT in 4…

1. Slater
  2. Marshall/E Moore
  3. D Moses/J Cox
  4. A Rodgers/N Collins
  5. OSA O- from UCLA or Cam Sample. UT
2 Likes

Yeah. Wouldn’t it be something if two OTs go before us.

Your forced to take the BPA.

1 Like

I’d love to see him as a stud linebacker. That would be a nice change for that position.

@Air2theThrown is there supposed to be literally any other answer to this question? Even if you trade down, you still take BPA.

You take BPA regardless the 1st 2 rounds. “Filling needs” is for later with lower caliber prospects.

In regards to those 2022 picks, that’s not counting the 8 additional lower round picks they have. You have a ton of ammo to move those higher picks around to get the players you really want. Without sacrificing any of the higher picks. Let the draft come to you. Work it to your advantage.

The Fins are doing a remarkable job working it. Not saying anything about how they’re using the picks, but damn, Grier is playing this masterfully so far.

I agree, but tell that to Bob Quinn, all he did was draft needs.

THIS!!! Great post based on facts and logic

I would bet Sewell, Slater, Vera- Tucker, Darrishaw, Jenkins, and possibly Leatherwood or Eichenberg. I could see 5-6 in round 1, and possibly 2 more by our pick stop rd 2…

What I don’t want to see is pass on a guy like Sewell or Slater to take a 166 pound WR… PLEASE!

Seeing J Chase bio on NFL Network and what he’s done this offseason, I could get behind it. He put 7 pounds of lean muscle on. He added to his speed and functional speed, his frame is stocky and explosive. He look like a durable WR1…

No waddle, no Smith, no Pitts please.

Right now we have a RG we aren’t sure about. We have a center with 1 true year left and a 5th year option. We have a backup swing tackle with 1 year left.

BPA is such a cliche’. I predict Slater makes a pro bowl before D Smith or Waddle.

I also predict he’s drafted before at least one, maybe both of them.

The fact that mock drafts have chosen to ignore Waddles injury and lack of production is almost as odd as nobody being worried about 166 pounds with no forty time.

We know Tuf Borland will not play in the nfl with 4.9 speed at LB, though Patricia might push the table for him as he’s just a tick slower than Tavaii. Lol.

I was in love with watching Smith player. He’s a cool kid with a great personality and polite swagger. He’s still 166 pounds and likely north of a 4.5 forty.

The BPA doesn’t make sense in a practical sense.

If Gregory Rousseau is a 10 sack guy, I wouldn’t be completely shocked. If a team took him at 11 it would be a huge reach for “NEED” but what if he wins defensive rookie of the year?

Reaches? Need? BPA? We don’t have our teams war room draft board.

Nick Young Wtf GIF

1 Like