Is Troy Franklin Detroit Lions WR of Future?

1 Like

There is a lot to like about Franklin. He is one of my favorites. But can he hold up at 176? He doesn’t seem like a prototype X to me, and I just figured that is what they would be looking for…

Supposedly he played in the mid 180s last year. I imagine he was dropping some weight in the hopes to run a blazing time and then that didn’t happen.

I am out on Troy Franklin. I just have a feeling he will not be good.

1 Like

Same
I am out too

Day 2 Day 3
Leggette , Rice, Polk, Mccaffrey short list for me

1 Like

Franklin at 61 would be a steal

2 Likes

I think someone else will draft Franklin before he’s a value to Lions because his drops and blocking won’t meet their thresholds.

1 Like

Franklin should go round 3 like Jailin Hyatt last year and this a much better WR draft

If we use that Hock pick #73 to move down again then put him on the poll list then

My 2 cents

He’ll have some concentration drops but Jamo was at 8.6% at Bama IIRC so I don’t think that’s a massive deal.

The blocking :man_shrugging:. Lanning tends run a pretty hard nosed program. Obviously the mass isn’t there yet but I’d be surprised by a lack of effort.
I happen to think we like Jacob Baker quite a bit and he’s got a high drop rate despite huge mitts and the reputation for having great hands.

1 Like

Steve smith says Johnny Wilson can’t walk and chew gum

And he can’t catch

Unicorn my ass

Pass

1 Like

One big advantage Franklin has is he is a really good route runner who gets separation. He would be a good pairing for Jared Goff. He would be a great pick if he is there in the second.

I don’t know if we need a traditional x with Goff. Get someone who can consistently get open and at 6’2 he’s got some length

Franklin is a far better receiver imo. Hyatt did one thing in college - go deep. And he did it from the slot which means he almost never had to beat press. That’s free release stuff in that wonky Tennessee offense, he could have been the biggest jag in the world and there was no way to tell.

Franklin is much more advanced as a WR. He beats press all the time, has a great package of releases. He’s a savant on slants, his foot in the ground and cut is almost impossible to cover, and has a much better knack for weaving through traffic after the catch. He knows how to set up a DB. None of this was on Hyatt’s tape. To me they’re in different stratospheres as prospects.

7 Likes

His drop rate may not look very good however he caught 71% of passes thrown to him for a healthy 17 ypc.

I can’t remember where, but I remember hearing a ‘taller Chris Olave’ comp to Franklin and I can’t unsee it.

That figure is for 2023 of course. PFF has that at 10%, though he was better in 2022 at 3.2%, so overall he’s better than I thought. Also, LaPorta had a “drop” problem at Iowa, which Brad viewed in context of QB play. That context wouldn’t apply with Bo Nix as his QB, I’d think.

Bottom line: I don’t really know… :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

Pretty sure that was a Zeirlein comp, I heard it too and it makes sense. Though honestly I think Franklin is a far better YAC guy. You get almost nothing after the catch from Olave. That said, Olave is a better separator. Franklin is good, and I think his top end speed is better, but very few receivers can create space at the top of the route like Olave.

I know, that’s why I loved him so much. I love my separators at WR. :joy:

You should love McConkey then. He’s in that tier imo.

3 Likes

I do like McConkey a lot. I think Goff would too (I mean, what QB wouldn’t love a WR that is wide open consistently?)

1 Like

Honestly one of the things I like about Franklin is he’s an X who can actually separate. Same with Brian Thomas. Legette, for all that I like him, is not the separator those guys are. But he’s decent at it, and he’s also a bully like AJ Brown/Deebo, so he’s just a different sort of guy.

Some might say Franklin’s not an X because of his weight, but I expect him to play most of his career around 190, he’s got the frame for it. And that’s plenty heavy enough.

1 Like