It’s really this simple…

I can already see that we are going to suggest 957 different ways to skin the cat this winter…

We need a big, fast CB who can follow a #1 if need be…. We need a 3T who can be stout against the run, but also get some interior pressure. We need a heavy nickel who can get us 3 ints AND 3 sacks, and we need a LB with DB athleticism….

Ask Tyree Wilson to gain 15 pounds and play DT?

Hope Gonzalez can convert from a zone to a man CB?

Pretend Carter or Anderson will fall?

—- here is how you fix the D…

1. Sign Daron Payne- zero players from this draft call will have 25 QB hits and 16 sacks the next 2 years- that’s what Payne had the last 2……maybe Will Anderson Jr will-

2. Draft Brian Branch- he’s the guy. The Polamalu, Hufanga, or Pitre- the modern “nickel missile!”

3. Draft Bijan Robinson- he erases mistakes and injuries elsewhere. If you have WR, you give him 25 Carrie’s kind of guy!

4. Draft Witherspoon or Forbes in round 2…. I’d like to think we trade down to Carolina or Titans and gain a 2nd, but I’m fine here either way.

5. Draft Voorhees, Michael Schmitz, etc to properly fill the RG hole

6. Draft Campbell or Pappoe- pick a flavor.

Sign Cam Sutton as another starter level CB

5 Likes

Over on reddit where every team is talking about how to start their offseason, 95% of them start with “sign Daron Payne.” He’s the belle of the ball this offseason. I think we’ll be a lot more appealing to FAs now than at any time in our history, but I also don’t think we’ll offer nearly as much money as some other teams. And generally in FA, money talks.

9 Likes

I want LaVonte David on a short term deal. He’s old as hell but he’s still got it.

2 Likes

I think that’s a mistake….

18M or 20M is exactly the same for the right guy.

He’s probably going to demand over 15 APY with what Roquan just got paid, but he’s a very good player. If we can get him without signing him to a really bad contract I think it would be a great move.

What about $18 million vs… $23 million???

That could be closer to the number….

3 Likes

At 33 years old? Doubt it.

1 Like

What do you guys think about these 2 free agents?

#19 (Peterson) and #31 (Pratt) ranked on PFF’s Top 50 Free Agents list - LINK

Patrick Peterson CB MIN

Germaine Pratt LB CIN

Peterson brings a veteran presence to a relatively young secondary.
(Okudah, Jacobs, Parker, Melifanwu, Joseph, Lucas)
He is still playing at an incredibly high level (just had 2nd best overall PFF score of his career! and the 4th best coverage grade in the NFL). Dude is still ballin’ and would fit right in with this culture. We need another Rasean Mathis type veteran to pull the ‘Slay’ along. <<<<< see what I did there?!

“It’s that point in my career, where I have to take care of my family” said Alex Anzalone when asked if he was coming back in 2023. I don’t blame him for chasing that pro athlete dollar, get it while you can. Holmes has a pretty rigid threshold with big contracts and maybe Alex gets an offer in FA that leads him to another team.

In comes Germaine Pratt. Does Cincinnati let him walk? The guy is playing at an incredibly high level and could solidify the 2nd level of our defense. #1 LB cover grade in the NFL in 2022. It would be like resurrecting Deandre Levy from Lion past. If I’m Holmes…I’m throwing some $$$ at Pratt if he becomes available. Consistently productive for 4 years with and arrow pointing up.

Thoughts on these two FA fits?

2 Likes

This is an excellent point. This is the kind of guy that is the talk of the town in Indy when agents are into negotiations at the combine prior to free agency. He’s also the kind of guy that gets signed for a $100M+ deal during the tampering period. In other words he is the exact kind of guy we should void signing. That’s one of those deals where if you win, you really lose. A couple of things I don’t like about Daron Payne, overanalyzing things based on past free agent duds. First, its always a red flag when a guy suddenly has a breakout season in his contract year. Particularly in an effort position like DT. I also don’t like some of the language he has used when talking about his impending free agency. He’s not talking about future value or what his worth is to a team in future terms. He says he wants to get paid what he has earned. As in past tense.

3 Likes

Here we go…again…

1 Like

Already aborting this plan. LOL

I’d be down with Pratt for sure but I think he’ll be pricey as he’s coming off a breakout year.

2 Likes

In terms of interior pass rush production, Dre’Mont Jones
may offer the most bang for the buck. Though he might be redundant with Paschal in house.

I still think Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is the best fit o out of the higher end FAs.

He’s a little too Hollywood for my liking.

2 Likes

One Ryan Gosling is enough for the Lions.

2 Likes

Some FA I would target

Drue Tranquill LB
Troy Hill CB
Will Hernandez G

2 Likes

I honestly do not expect us to chase any big name FA’s.

Look at what we did last year. Chark was the only double digit deal and it was still a bargain prove it type of deal.

I think we keep adding mid level roll players like Elliot, Board, etc.

I’m not expecting any headline deals.

8 Likes

I’m totally fine with that. We are going to have good young players coming up on raises. Might be wise to be thrifty till then.

We will bring in 3-5 new starters from the draft alone. We won’t need to chase too many FAs.

3 Likes

First off…. I bet Daron Payne does not get north of 20M APY- we shall see-

One guy got 20M last year and it was Von… and there are only 11 total defenders. I get the inflation thing?

But- his teammate J Allen who nobody could argue has t had a better career thus far, just got 4 yrs and 72M last year….

Secondly- the cap and extensions really aren’t that hard to navigate…… here is how-

Goff- 3
Hutch- 5
Sewell- 4
Jamo- 5
Joseph- 4
Paschal- 4
Rodrigo- 4
Houston- 3
Jackson- 2 (if we extend)
Okudah- 3
ASB- 3
McNeill- 3

— that is how long before any of these guys gets expensive…. As an example AJ Brown signed a 100M extension in Philly last year and cap hits are very reasonable the first 3 years (Starting with 8M in 2023)

Any time a player gets a big extension, year one is typically less than 50% of their APY…. Agents and players seem to be chasing these VANITY contracts, and Brown for example is due 37M in 2026, but he only carries an 8M dead cap hit- so when he crosses 30 they save “30MM” in cal space to cut him!!! So really it was a 4 yr 70M deal- so 17.5M apy not really 25M…

So we could get most of Payne money paid in the next 3 years when the above 12 guys are mostly pretty cheap!!!

• then factor we are likely adding 4 more starters via the draft this year- with 5 and 6 years time before any get really expensive.