It’s really this simple…

I don’t think Gonzalez makes it to our #18 pick. If we want him it has to be at #6 OR after a slight trade down.

If we sign Jamaal to a decent contract that tells me that we aren’t likely going to look at Bijon as 1st round option. We’d probably be looking for someone to spell Swift when he gets injured or is ready to take over that role in 2024.

If we don’t sign Jamaal, then Bijon is definitely in play for us in the 1st and if not him, one of the bigger backs later in the draft.

1 Like

He is a splash signing guy, but per his interview earlier this week, his “definition” of splash signing is different than yours. He wants resign some of our guys on expiring contracts that know the system, are culture fits and work hard, give a few players outside the organization that fit our culture a shot at becoming Lions, draft and develop. The cap can be manipulated to make things work, but at some point that manipulation will require a reset. I think they are trying to build the team for long term sustained success without too much manipulation of the cap, using the draft as the primary player acquisition tool and develop those players via a coaching staff that has experience as players and understands what is required to be successful.

1 Like

Bijan would be more to replace Swift, hopefully work in conjunction with Swift. Our problem has beens Swifts injuries. Bijan would mitigate that considerably

2 Likes

To be clear, I don’t think we can get him without trading up. That said, I think
-our coaches have established one of the best locker rooms in the NFL (maybe NFL history).
-We get the ceiling out of all players…literally every player improves here

This makes me less tentative about a rook that may have “Issues”

I’ll be excited AF if we get Carter…MAIN REASON… Brad’n’Dan believe in him & thought he was the right guy.

See, some think I’m beating the drum for Carter…it’s more beating the drum for a dominant DT. If Brad thinks he is that…I’m friggin’ hyped up!

1 Like

What’s wrong with paying the 25-26 year old who has an 11 sack year in 22’ and is entering his prime.

My guess is that IF Carter has an elite ceiling, he won’t make it to us.

100% honesty → If Brad is in…so am I. Period. I dont’ even care what I think…I care what Brad thinks.

1 Like

Lack of culture fit

Why is that ?

Because from our perspective it looks like he only cares about getting paid. There’s some videos above to watch where he outright says he wants to reset the DT market. And as @Mr.Peabody said, you should always be wary of a guy who puts together his best year in a contract year.

4 Likes

Yeah I watched it , could be right was wondering if that was what.

I would be very wary about giving him big $$. For the first four years of his career, while I wouldn’t call him a bust, he was just kinda average overall. Nothing special. Then he took off in his 5th year.

1 Like

Here is the visual representation. Look at the drastic change in the money stats as he comes up on free agency.

1 Like

Put me in the group that says Payne’s asking price will take him out of the Lions price range. I also agree that the video and production his first 4 years is enough to raise questions regarding is effort.

Let me also add that IMO I do not see how Robinson fits what the Lions are doing at the RB position. He appears to be a guy that a team looking for “the guy” will want, while the Lions are looking at the RB room all contributing. I will also add that after watching some of his highlights he really doesn’t jump out to me. I believe he is getting over hyped based on his play against lesser D-lines and good blocking schemes.

I will also say that of the DBs that I have looked at so far Branch is the one that appears to fit what the Lions are doing more then any of the guys that are projected ahead of him at this time.

With that all said I am an old man who may or may not be half blind, so my opinion is only as good as the air I breath, cough cough cough.

1 Like

There is no way that Da’Ron Payne does NOT get a franchise tag? $18M, it’s a no brainer for Washington. Are you talking about trading a pick, like our #6 overall?

How much will Hargrave ask for?

To be fair he played pure NT for the early part of his career. He was simply asked to occupy two blockers and anchor.

That said if he wants 20M plus I’m out. I’d consider 1 APY as he’s 6’3” 320 and rocked up. He’s not a lazy guy who suddenly got motivated, he’s been in terrific shape since draft day.

I can’t find anything that questions his character or work ethic.

That said- Dead is probably right and Commanders will axe Wentz and use the cap space to franchise Payne

1 Like

There were about 15 “non QB” players that signed deals north of $20 million in the past year.

Roquan just signed for $20 million AAV… as an off ball LB.

The only way I see Payne making less than $20 million AAV… is if the franchise tag is used and it stays near the projected $18.95 million OTC currently is projecting.

1 Like

Could be. Many teams may worry about one year wonder syndrome too though.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.