It's becoming so obvious what the Lions need to do at the top of the '22 draft

And it doesn’t involve a QB.

When was the last time that the Lions had a dominant edge rusher? I’m talking more than a 10-sack guy.

I can’t even remember.

There are three difference-makers in that regard at the top of this draft. Kayvon Thibodeaux has been talked about for months, but in the end analysis, Aidan Hutchinson of Michigan and George Karlaftis of Purdue will also be in the mix. We’ll see where it shakes out after pro days and the combine.

Whichever one emerges at the top would be filling a massive need for the Lions. And finally at an important position, a difference-making position.

Hutchinson has a Watt brothers-like motor. He’s gotten better and better this year and has every pass rush in his bag.

CBS Sports’ Chris Trapasso just mocked Karlaftis to the Lions at 1OA, calling him a “game-wrecker.”

And Thibodeaux has been coming on as the season progresses as well, including a dominant game in front of Brad Holmes.

I don’t really care which one of these guys shakes out as the top guy. I just am beginning to solidify that the Lions need to take whoever that is.

If they want to look QB with the Rams pick or at the top of the 2nd, that’s fine by me.

3 Likes

"A “game-wrecker” with 2.5 sacks?!?!

3 Likes

Explained well here:

From the time he first suited up for the Boilermakers in 2019, he has been an outstanding player. In his first career game against Nevada, Karlaftis was credited with 14 (!) pressures. He had 55 total pressures on the year, 54 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks as a freshman, capping off one of the most dominant seasons a first-year player has ever had in the Big Ten – at any position. He was named a Freshman All-American, and also earned Second-team All-Big Ten honors.

Like most athletes (and generally speaking, any human being), 2020 impacted Karlaftis in a major way. He was limited to only two games as a sophomore, due to Covid and an ankle injury. Despite missing a majority of the shortened season, Karlaftis was still named Second-team All-Big Ten again and received preseason All-American recognition prior to the 2021 season. Fortunately, he has come back healthy and dominant as a junior.

Through nine games in 2021, Karlaftis has 28 tackles, 6 TFL, 2.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles. The stats don’t jump off the page, but he obliterates the eye test. His impact is much deeper than the box score. Teams often double (or triple) him throughout the game, and he still creates pressure. They are different players, but think of the treatment Chase Young received during his last year as a Buckeye. That is the kind of attention given to Karlaftis. In his case, the star power on Purdue is lacking, so there is an even greater emphasis placed on limiting this one player’s effectiveness.

1 Like

If they pass on Thibodeaeux without trading down, I’m going to riot.

The best pass rusher on Michigan IMO is David Ojabo.

2 Likes

I think Hutch will be like Porcher, a solid DE with 8-12 sacks a season. I think Hutch lacks the speed, twitch, and bend to be a dominant pass-rusher but makes-up for some of those deficiencies with hustle and strength.

1 Like

Thibodeaux is the Alpha in this draft. Karloftis and Hutchinson are decent players, but you’ve got the Oregon Duck there at 1 OA, you take him. No hesitation. He’s an athlete in mold of Myles Garrett, or Von Miller. Bendy, twitched up, fast, relentless. Then go WR/S/LB/CB w 1b, 2, 3a, 3b.

5 Likes

Hutchinson is more than a “decent player.”

3 Likes

Perhaps. Hutch will be drafted high. Good prospect. But as a pro pass rushing prospect I like his teammate Ojabo even better. In fact, if I knew I could get Ojabo with the Rams pick, I’d take Kyle Hamilton up top, and look for a WR in the 2nd.

1 Like

This defense and DL will really hum with a special pass rusher. We will get Romeo Okwara back, Julian Okwara should be more experienced (and he is getting better) and we are getting experience for our young DTs. Trey Flowers is likely to be cut or he will have to take a serious pay cut.

Regardless, this defense needs pressure help. A guy that collapses a pocket and forces a QB into DTs. I agree this draft has special pass rushers available and I think we end up with one of them with our first pick.

The Lions are gonna have $ to spend in 2022. If this defense gets a pass rusher, safety help and another solid LBer with the first three picks in this draft it is possible the defense might be okay in 2022. I think Thibodeaux is the pick is we are the top pick.

After that I want a LBer and secondary help.

With free agent dollars I want a WR who can be a #1 here in 2022. I might also want a credible strong safety or even starting level CB. We cannot count on Okudah. If we add a starting strong safety and CB in free agency as well as a #1 WR (and lock down Tracy Walker) then we add a top rookie DE, a rookie LBer and another secondary piece I will start to believe we are serious about fielding a good defense in 2022 and the offense has a shot to be better if we add a credible #1 WR in free agency.

1 Like

I would trade down to any spot guaranteed to get one of the 3. Trading from 1 to 8-10 would be a kings ransom for us, especially if we get someone that has a chance to arguably be as good as #1.

2 Likes

Hutch had the same measueables as Paye last year.

He has 9.5 sacks, a leads country in pressures, excels against the run, has elite size. 36” - 38” vertical at JJ Watt size.

I’m all set on a 255 pound DE who can’t stay healthy, plays in a weak pass first conference.

Hutch, Devin Lloyd, best WR available, best RG, best CB

1 Like

Thibodeaux had a solid game last night going up against Abe Lucas of WSU who is projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round as an OT. They tried to double team him but had limited success.
Lions have to draft him as the first overall as of this date. Lucas would add some good depth to the O-line if he is available in the lower rounds.

As I’ve mentioned before, the Lions need just about everything so they should not focus on the QB as the first overall pick. Their isn’t any Elway out there this year.

1 Like

How irate would people be if we took safety Kyle Hamilton #1OA?

Ideally you wouldn’t want to draft a safety #1 but the kid from Oregon isn’t exactly a flawless prospect and the clear top guy.

Really couldn’t go S at #1 unless you believed he was Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott. Even then it would be questionable. Only way you could consider it is if you knew you could come up with Ojabo or Hutchinson with the Rams pick which almost certainly would not happen. But yes, heads would roll on this board.

BTW, I believe the Lions have 3-4 wins this year with Matt Corral under center. They need to get Goff out of there. He is the worst we’ve seen back there since Joey. Slowest QB in the league. Any pressure and he’s going down with a big loss.

Im not a Corral hater, but I really hate that this is the year of all years to not have an obvious superstar QB waiting at the #1 pick.

Definitely sucks there aren’t any blue chip QBs the year Detroit looks to have a shot at 1OA. Lions luck.

Like missing the PAT and FG which would’ve both won you your first game.

Like Jermar breaking out only to break down injured….

Like…. well you get the idea.

That’s not really a knock on Hutchinson. They are both top 10 EDGE talents in most drafts.

They won’t. I would be disappointed initially bc of his position but get over it bc with good health I think Hamilton can end up in Canton. They would take KT over Hamilton though. Fairly certain of that. I happen to think Hamilton is a rarer talent relative to his position but premier pass rushers are valued so much higher than safeties.

Now Hamilton at 2 if KT is off the board? Sure. Why not?

It may appear that way at the moment, yet last April the professional talent evaluators drafted 4 QBs before NE got the best of the bunch at #15. We’ll see.