Jaguars just franchise tagged LT Cam Robinson

Its interesting how people are seeing this in completely different directions. I see this as a positive. Had they SIGNED Cam Robinson, that would obviously be an issue. But the fact that they tagged him shows that for the second straight year, they can’t get the guy under contract. And now they know that without a doubt. This tag is going to cost them $20M to tag Cam. He gets 20% above the tag price of $16.6M because its his second time being tagged. He has zero incentive to work out a deal next year because to tag him a 3rd time is 44% above this years tag (or next years tag, whichever is greater). That is close to $30M to tag him again.

The Jags will be well aware of this impending debacle.

1 Like

They have Robinson’s replacement on the roster already… the 45th pick in the 2020 draft.

It might be possible they draft an OT and plan to move on from ORT Taylor after 2022… but this franchise tag sends a stronger message that they are taking an edge rusher.

1 Like

Sad The Lord Of The Rings GIF

2 Likes

I agree trading down is extremely difficult, especially when there is no top QB in this draft.

If Hutch goes 1, it gets very interesting what the Lions will do. I’ve dismissed drafting o-line in the past, but someone could easily argue that a good o-line could become a dominating one with Ikem Ekwonu.

And Injuries happen every year as we saw last year. Decker missed half the season and Ragnow missed almost all of it. Rarely does your o-line stay healthy for 16, now 17 games.

The defense needs so much help though. It’ll be a tough call @ 2, if Hutch goes 1.

1 Like

If hutch is gone then trading down is a easier sell

I like Hutch but if he’s the difference between success or failure then Brad and Dan are in big trouble. I would gladly drop a spot to kick GB and Rodgers in the ass…every single time.

Yeah I know. It’s a wish in one hand and crap in the other…the which one gets filled first deal.

It is a fantasy. But what if one worked out in our favor. Cool to think about. Shoot I actually suck at valuing these things so I could never explain what they should get in return. I am kinda stuck that whatever haul they would get this year…I definitely want next years first as well. I want three first round picks in the arsenal so they can either trade up to get the best QB in 2023 (if Goff flames out) or that Linebacker from Alabama…or any other playmaker that rises to the top next year.

Here’s the most sensible and plausible take on this yet.

They drafted Walker Little at #45 OA last year… and he is plenty athletic to play OLT.
His PFF scores in his rookie year were pretty good as well.

They wouldn’t need to throw a rookie on the field even if Robinson left .

If they are bringing him back at that salary… tough to think they are drafting a guy at #1 OA.

1 Like

I’m getting really tired of logic when it interferes with what I want…

Hopefully the Jags will play chess with KT and keep my dreams intact.

2 Likes

To be fair, even Daniel Jeremiah said the move points to Hutchinson being the Jaguars’ pick.

1 Like

I’d like to think they are going to draft a O-lineman like you were saying they would but maybe they do want to improve that pass-rush like I was originally suggesting…although I don’t want to hear that.

I am not sure why they would pay that kind of money for a one year rental of Cam Robinson if they are confident in Walker Little flipping to the left side. We will see. One note. If they take Hutch, it means they have spent a 1st round pick on pass rushers/defensive lineman in 4 of the last 5 drafts.

What will Robinson make this year on that tag?

Walker played OLT in 2021 when Robinson missed games.
Taylor is their ORT and played 100% of the snaps in 2021.

Craziest part is when he was saying what he said, he knew someone would say what you said and I knew all of this was going to happen as soon as I saw the OP!

Robinson will take home 'bout $16.7 million.

You know that’s even worse, right?

Why?
Is it a problem that… as a rookie coming off a Covid year… he didn’t beat out a LT playing on the franchise tag and a RT that was drafted early in the 2nd round and had started over 30 NFL games in his first 2 seasons?

confused real life GIF