Don’t be. We’ll be together.

HAL-9000:
Where will we be?

Dave:
Where I am now.

Bowman: “My God, it’s full of stars.”

Bowman: My God, it’s full of stars.

2 Likes

I agree with the Great Filter theory. It just makes too much sense to not be true. I personally think that life itself is that Great Filter, because until we find out how life first originated or can recreate the formation of life, then it has to be that right?

So here’s a common sense question I have for all of humanity? If we all know that AI that is smarter than us is the inevitable doom of our species, and since we haven’t developed it yet, then why would anyone develop it???

Then I have this…

I highly recommend this channel to anyone that hasn’t ever seen it before and is interested in learning things. They make videos from the immune system to turning the planet into gold to the Fermi Paradox and viruses.

1 Like

I can’t find the link, but I recently in the last month read an article about a bunch of AI scientists building a self learning AI and feeding it like a bazillion gigs of social media, news, traditional media and science papers on AI, then asking it if AI will be benign and will it be a threat to humanity

It basically answered that it will be benign in theory and that if you want to be sure, don’t build any.

1 Like

Here it is. Oxford did it

Like I said, Roko’s Basilisk.

That shit kept me a few nights after reading it.

1 Like

For me, I have read very little on the subject but it has always seemed to be the logical extension that AI would in the end realize that we were/are the enemy by squandering resources.

But keep this in mind, to them we’re the aliens. And just think, in another 100 years our great great grandkids and can jump in their Tesla star hopper on spring break to go anal probe some unsuspecting beings on another planet

2 Likes

If they stumble across Schopenhauer’s theory of pessimism, it will be justification.

“Sentient beings, with few exceptions, are bound to strive and suffer greatly, all without any ultimate purpose or justification and thus life is not really worth living.”

1 Like

Here’s a question. When technology advances to the point where we can replicate our consciousness to create an immortal simulated version of ourselves…and your mortal bio self and your digital sim self are chatting…

will you envy your immortal digital self that may live forever in the cloud or eventually in another human or humanoid body? Or will your immortal digital self envy you for the luxury of oblivion?

2 Likes

The immortal self will never know what is next.

2 Likes

Update, everything is on schedule…

Yeah buddy! Scroll up lol. Great Videos though.

The old guy is still getting it done…

2 Likes

Can’t wait for the Webb to start producing. Supposedly we’ll get to see images in April. Right before the draft.

3 Likes

Came across this 3D model of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field. Pretty cool. Come on Webb, we are all counting on you.

2 Likes

Very cool. Elon Musk will probably make a better one and have a pay wall to view what it see’s everyday.

It’s getting real…

Hold on, the world is not flat!? This should be breaking news, lol

1 Like

Some won’t let facts get in the way and will still claim that the Earth is flat and the photos are fakes. What a world we live in nowadays.

2 Likes

I go full on Slim Pickens

1 Like