Jameson Williams injury update, 4.4 40-yard dash

Jameson Williams spoke with OutKick a few days ago (15 weeks into rehab) and said that around week 13 they finally start letting him run the 40. Multiple watches had him at 4.4 already.

I love this quote on the 4.4: “It’s coming back, it’s coming back. It’s only 13 weeks [post surgery] though so wait ’til we get to full speed. It’s going to be real scary.”

7 Likes

I could see him playing by week 4 if not sooner the medical technology todsy is just so far ahead of even 5 years ago.Seems like giys are coming back from injuries in half the time it used to take!!

Running go routes just to spread the D out would be something we never really had last year. No cutting or juking, just running more or less straight line routes.

I expect him to play week 1.

3 Likes

If they say he is 100 percent by training camp I dont see why not. What would be the benefit of holding him out the first month of the season.

Williams, who models his game after Randy Moss, is instead focusing on returning to form and proving he’s every bit the prospect he was before the injury.

“I feel like I have a similar play style to him with the speed and how we play the deep balls,” he said. “I want to prove I’m a Wide Receiver One. Before I got hurt I was Wide Receiver One. Skills still there.”

2 Likes

And I expect that when the time comes there will be a Den split regarding it.

Half will say “Don’t risk it! It’s too soon!”

The other half will say “Doctors say he’s fine. Coaches say he’s fine. He says he’s fine. Play him.”

Go ahead and put me down in the record books now as being in the second camp. If doctors clear him and he’s outrunning everybody on the team, then you play the kid.

6 Likes

40 yard dashes are nice, but that’s basically the underwear olympics on a track.

Being timed at 23 mph with his pads and helmet on while 11 defensive players are trying to take your head off is all I need to know.

Here’s an example of what 22.6 mph looks like.

2 Likes

He’s expected to be cleared for full speed July 1.
I’d rather see him go to PUP the first six weeks of the season, regardless.
Make sure he’s fully healed and up to speed.

2 Likes

And so it begins :laughing:

3 Likes

Here are his HS track times for the 100… and he also broke Zeke’s 300m hurdles state record.

10.54… as a sophomore!

2 Likes

26. Tyreek Hill (Tie)

GuyBostonSports/Twitter

High school: Coffee County High School (Douglas, Georgia)

100-meter dash time: 10.19

Year: 2012

If you’ve watched any NFL games in recent years, you know Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill as one of the most exciting players in the game and one of the fastest players in NFL history.

Hill’s speed was built at Coffee County High School in Douglas, Georgia, where he ran the fastest 100-meter and 200-meter dash times for a high school sprinter in the nation in 2012.

Hill’s time in the 200 meters that year of 20.14 seconds would’ve placed him fifth in the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Anthony Schwartz (Tie)

flrunners/Twitter

High school: American Heritage High School (Plantation, Florida)

100-meter dash times: 10.07 (2018), 10.09 (2018), 10.13 (2018), 10.15 (2017)

If you’ve watched college football the last few seasons, you probably know Anthony Schwartz as a blazing-fast wide receiver for Auburn University.

Before that, Schwartz recorded more Top 25 times in the 100-meter dash than any other high school sprinter in history, with four times 10.15 seconds or under in 2017 and 2018, led by his 10.07 time in 2018.

Schwartz racked up 117 catches for 1,433 yards in three seasons at Auburn before declaring early for the 2021 NFL Draft, where he’s a likely selection after running a 4.26-second 40-yard dash at Pro Day.

1 Like

Excuse me for being Captain Obvious:

For those who didn’t feel like looking it up. That is 110 yards… in less than 11 seconds. For those who started watching football yesterday, that’s starting at the goalpost and hitting the opposite goal line. That is nuts. Of course it has already been mentioned with speeds like Hill and Zeke.

What that also says is you can clock the 40 all you want. Field is 100, not 40 - and he does not run out of gas.

Who is gonna drop dimes to him 55-65 yards down field? Oh, Stafford’s coming back?

I’d like to see his last 100m time when healthy. 10.54 is certainly fast, but it’s not Tyreek fast. He ran a 10.19 and I’ve seen a freaking 9.98 he posted but looks like there was a pretty healthy wind at his back according to what I saw out there. There is a lot of distance between a 10.5 guy and a sub 10.2 guy. Really pumped about this guys potential, just maybe pumping the brakes a little on the Tyreek comparisons.

1 Like

Goff has plenty of arm strength. He just has a wind up release which is a little slow and he rarely uncorks it deep when there is a safer play to move the chains. It’s not a lack or arm. It’s a lack of balls. Respectfully speaking of course.

1 Like

he ran the 10.54 when he was 16yo…. and I think it is safe to assume he got a little faster… and at age 21… possibly hasn’t even hit his peak yet.

Usain Bolt first broke the 100m record at age 21.
His best time ever was a year later at age 22.

10.54 at 16 is blistering fast. Here are the times from last years Nat’l Championships. I assume most of these kids are 17 or even 18.

Correct, which traditionally means he would have been 10.2-10.1 by his senior year of HS with regards towards natural development.

Yet JR & SR year he ran his PR’s in the 10.6’s. We probably won’t ever know why he was a 10.6 guys as a JR & SR but sounds like we might need some more context…

The difference between 10.5 & 10.2 is pretty significant, regardless he’s still fast AF

1 Like