Jameson Williams showed why Detroit Lions drafted him, and why there's reason to worry

He hasn’t had a chance in NFL games with Jared Goff. You can come up with anything you want as a negative in his direction but it’s a fact. How many snaps did he get last year exactly? After not being allowed to practice for what? 6 months+…you expected him to light the world on fire? A guy who’s number one asset is speed and agility and he’s coming off a torn ACL? Come on…

Be critical all you want but some choose to give a kid a break when he’s coming off a major injury. Maybe he was a little hesitant to go full out. Maybe he was being held back. Maybe he was pressing because he was anxious to show out. Who knows! But he legit hasn’t gotten a chance yet. This is his first training camp and real time with Jared Goff.

If he gets regular snaps in 2023 and does nothing…then by all means roast the guy. But he hasn’t gotten that yet. These are just facts homie!

edit
I just looked it up. He played 78 snaps. What is that, 12 a game? Yup dudes a bust for sure! (Just taking a little friendly jab :wink:) basically has 5 quarters worth of real game snaps.

1 Like

Everyone thinks I am being “Critical” of Jamo by stating he is a speedster with mediocre WR skills? That is just my take and is shared by some draft analysts. He needs to put in some work to improve, maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t, I have no idea right now but hope he does, otherwise he will be basically a niche WR.

His route running in below average to average, and his hands are about average. If that is being critical then so be it.

I’ll change my name to CriticalFromTn :joy: :joy:

You are being critical of his supporters. And we are giving reasons why we aren’t quick to judge the guy.

We aren’t giving him “free passes” or “excuses.” Just simply stating we aren’t ready to declare the guy a bust because he’s a moron on social media.

That’s how you started this debate. You were giving his supporters a hard time, no?

There was some body language from Goff last year where he looked really irritated at Williams after tossing a ball at Jamos feet.

Half the board immediately started to rag on Goff for a bad throw but a deeper looks showed Williams was way off his route. You don’t see Goff throwing the ball at Amon Ras feet like that. He’s always where he’s supposed to be

Williams was drafted to be a deep threat and take the top off the defense. Looking at all the free agent WRs and trades for WRs Holmes has made, they really want a fast guy who will be a legit threat deep

If Jamo can spread out the defense, it’s a win for the Lions and we ostensibly have multiple weapons underneath who can take advantage of the space

But to be a better, more well rounded WR he needs to be a stronger route runner, not drift or get run off his routes. Make sure he makes his spot, and be stronger at the point of catch.

3 Likes

Agreed, the dude is super talented and fast. But he’s also very raw in terms of WR experience. Lets be honest here, he barely played at OSU for 2 years, then transferred to Bama and had 1 monster season then got seriously injured. So out of the last 4 seasons of football, he’s played a ton of snaps in only 1 of them.

In summary, Jamo needs a ton of reps.

1 Like

Well I can tell you this…with what you said you would have released Herman Moore after his rookie season. He had 11 receptions TOTAL. But he was also faced with EXPECTATIONS. Obviously as a rookie and with those numbers he wasn’t elite. But he took steps into growing into that elite-level WR…51 receptions in 1992, 61 receptions in 1993 and then 72 in 1994 before he truly broke out in 1995. For some it takes more time to develop and break out than others. I haven’t placed any expectations on Jamo high or low. I am hopeful that he is another Justin Jefferson or Ja’marr Chase or even some of his fellow 'Bama bros…Henry Ruggs withstanding…but my best bet is for me to let it play itself out.

^^^^This

Please show me where I said I would release Jamo or even indicated anywhere that would imply that?

Here are some of my quotes

Lyonfan1 made a good post on why he is skeptical as of now and JD9 jumped on him about spinning numbers to match his narrative.

Facts are Jamo is NOT a good route runner right now and has average hands. He has speed and is athletic that got him through college with one good year.

Just because we are skeptical doesn’t make anyone a Jamo hater, we just want to want to see some improvement and honestly there hasn’t been any since the games he played in last year.

1 Like

Well that is because Lyonfan does that with almost every post…he will omit things and move goal posts to fit his narrative. That being said…again, you went after those who didn’t share your opinion about Jamo by saying they were making excuses for him. Just because they are not worried about Jamo at the moment doesn’t mean they are making excuses for him. I’m sure if Jamo had a full training camp his rookie year followed by a subpar season and then is still in the same place that he is now everyone would be saying he is a bust. But the truth is, he did not have training camp last year, he did not start practicing until mid-season and this year is his first mini-camp & full training camp. No excuses being made there.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.