Jamo Utilization…

I am absolutely shocked by how the Lions have decided to utilize Jamo. We have done zero slants, bubble screens, bunch routes, ect. I totally get that we are letting him work back into things but get the ball in his hands and stop using him as a decoy. I sure hope we see some quick passes to this guy today.

4 Likes

It is a little disappointing that he’s not been a bigger factor. But appreciate that the team’s margin for error on this playoff run has been nil. Anything can be the difference between making it or not. A dropped pass, a miscommunication, a turnover, etc. Can’t play scared, but it’s pretty obvious he’s not fully football ready. The other starters can provide better/safer reps right now and that’s the more important thing for the team. If we were eliminated already they’d be feeding him more looks. He’s got a bright future.

10 Likes

Yep, that’s my biggest surprise as well. I’ve been saying for weeks, throw the dude a freaken slant already! It’s not a complicated play.

I’m not expecting him to play 50 snaps or anything. But get the ball in his hands a couple times.

2 Likes

Yeah it seems all he does is run down field. Not much of a route tree so far. It’s always just turn and burn.

1 Like

This is the game we unleash Jamo. The Bears haven’t seen him do anything but deep either.

Today is the last home game of the season. Jamo having a great day would be great for 2023 season ticket/merch sales.

2 Likes

I agree — today we will finally see Jamo get involved
Perfect opportunity

2 Likes

Maybe they are hoping to limit him so when we make the playoffs he can be an x-factor. Any advantage helps! Hope springs eternal!

4 Likes

I am not shocked. This is what happens when you draft a player that will be iced all through off-season and into the regular season.

Same thing with Houston. This regime, for all its foibles, at least DOES try to coach up their players, BUT they need SOMETHING to work with. Healthy and taking reps, for one. Football IQ for the position being played in the NFL for another.

Iffy to Safety.
Houston to OLB/DE.
Jamo to health.
Paschal to health and the NFL.

There’s going to be an adjustment for any of them, but especially those that are transitioning to new roles or recovering from extensive downtime.

6 Likes

Exactly. He was never gonna hit the ground running. He may not until next year. Most players, even when they’re on the field, take awhile to come back from an ACL tear. I never draft them in fantasy their first year back, but their 2nd year back, when everyone’s down on them and you can get them for a bargain, that’s when I pounce. Like Saquon this year.

5 Likes

As a fan its frustrating because you see this new toy jump off the screen (in limited usage) but when I step back I remind myself this staff isnt coaching for this year. Theyre coaching (and GMing) to flip what the Lions are. Theyre not interested in shortcuts. We are probably a little ahead of where they even thought we’d be but its not the time to rush something like a knee. Im frustrated but i believe

3 Likes

And the Bears secondary is in shambles with injuries.

2 Likes

We gotta stop the run. Period. Do that and it’s a party. Fail to do that and nothing else really matters.

1 Like

Next week, when it’s worth everything against GB, unless we are in a pinch today.

1 Like

Honestly you can’t expect a rookie who got no training camp, and is coming off an acl… to have much production at all. He doesn’t know the offense… he hasn’t played pro football. He doesn’t have his legs back or his stamina. Lots of muscle memory loss. This year was always going to be mostly lost for him.

2 Likes

They had him on a crosser today. Goff just isn’t hitting him for some reason. Same with the dump pass he missed. I hope they get that worked out soon. I want to see this kid with the ball in his hands.

2 Likes

If Goff throws for 4600 yards and 30 tds this year- and next year- I could care less if Jamo even plays to be honest.

They either have worries about reps on his knee, or he hasn’t shown a ton yet in practice, or hasn’t fully grasped the offense yet…. Or the current guys are healthy and playing well, and there is no reason to mess with the chemistry.

3 Likes

He did run for 40!!

3 Likes

Seems pretty clear Jamo hasn’t had enough practice reps to be in the same page with Goff as precisely as everyone else is. On that crosser Goff threw into the turf, Jared was shaking his head. Seemed he was frustrated Jamo wasn’t where he thought he’d be. No biggie, but it’s the most likely explanation for why he’s getting so little action.

5 Likes

They have 4 receivers who are gelled with the qb

Kinda hard to fit a new guy in under those circumastances

3 Likes

Frustrated with himself because it was a terrible throw & he knew it. Was a dig route not a crosser. You’re right doesn’t really matter though, Goff played outstanding overall & had a great stat line today

2 Likes