January 1st predictions of who we take with the Rams pick

Personally, I like the idea of trading the Lions early 3rd Rounder(#66), with the Ram Pick, assuming #28, to move up to #18, which IMO, is the sweet spot to draft either LB Lloyd or LB Dean. Couple either with Aiden or Mr. Tibbs, and a Safety at #34 Brisker or Hill. Now you have the makings of a TOP 15 defense, assuming Lions re-sign S Walker. Moreover, I believe the Lions would have, at least 2 players in DE & LB, that opposing teams would have to game plan for, which the Lions lack on Defense completely.

FYI, I’ve seen plenty of Lloyd this year. As good as Dean showed last nite, Lloyd was even better against the Ducks in both games this year in which, Utah stifled /suffocated the Ducks in both games. It will be interesting to see how he performs against the Bucknuts this afternoon. You can’t go wrong with Lloyd or Dean, but, IMO, Dean is more of a guided missile, one dimensional, while Lloyd anticipates better in the open field and gets interceptions and TFL’s. LB Dean graduates in 3 years with an ME Degree, and diagnoses plays very well. He’s smart…Good to know.

2 Likes

Agreed, what he found in A.J. Parker and Jerry Jacobs has been very impressive. Plus, Okudah coming back. And Iffy has potential. And AO had 7 interceptions this year. All 5 of those guys will be back next year. The corner position is in great shape. It’s young and talented.

Safety is where we need to upgrade in the secondary.

1 Like

Didi you just describe Space Ghost?

space ghost dance GIF
I think you just described Space Ghost

4 Likes

cartoon network 90s GIF

2 Likes

I agree that for next season we appear to be in good shape at CB, but what if Okudah doesn’t recover from his achilles injury? What if Oruwariye demands $20M/year after another great year? What if we lose Pleasant and Jacobs and Parker take a step back? What if Iffy doesn’t develop?

Last offseason we thought Okudah could still pan out, didn’t have incredibly high hopes for Oruwariye, had never heard of Parker or Jacobs, were hoping Pleasant could work some magic with Quentin Dunbar like he did in Washington and we had the standard excitment over recent draft pick Iffy but tempered it with the realization he was essentially drafted in the 4th round (very late 3rd), and guys drafted around then pan out at a very low rate.

The secondary tends to change drastically from year to year, which is why people say you can never have too many cornerbacks. The Bucs and Packers draft secondary on the first two days almost every year, it’s good strategy in a league that passes so much.

1 Like

What if my uncle had boobs? Would he be my Aunt!? lol

B. Holmes has shown so far he can find talented corners. If he wants to draft one, then I’ll support it. i’m not against drafting another corner. I’m simply pointing out it’s one of the deepest positions on the roster currently. I agree for sure that things change rapidly in the NFL.

Lets not play the what IF Game We look good at CB I wouldn’t be against taking the Safety at pick two if we do lose Walker.

What a what IF he is the best player in the draft Kyle Hamilton what IF?
Lions sign Walker add Hamilton you have Breeze an Harris an Elliott heading into camp maybe sign Moore back.

With are young CBs who have gained experience an showed they belong your set in secondary with young talent.

You don’t pass on a talent based on Position.

Besides money whats the difference between say pick 2 or pick 5 for a safety? He would fill a need.

I don’t see passing on a position of need based on a position.

You can argue we need a Safety more than edge rusher if they sign Harris OLB an Walker We still need a Safety Why not get one a lot cheaper than 10 million a year. Likely cost for ( Williams)

Now your looking at a WR an LB in next two picks either order would be based on who is there with Rams pick.

I wouldn’t be looking to move up until late rd 2 see who may be there mid rd 2

Could move up an have 4 picks in first 45 drafted.

My point isn’t to play a what if game, I just did that to show the sort of thing that tends to happen from year to year.

My biggest point is if we do it right, we’re not drafting to fill next year’s holes. We’re drafting to have an answer for the next ten years.

Hill safety michigan

George Pickens -WR Georgia
or
Nakobe Dean - LB Georgia

This is my, If you can can’t beat them…make them join you draft strategy

Thats what my point is why pass on the Safety based on position if he is graded as good as many say. I have no problem taking Hamiliton an pairing him with Walker 3 year 4th year option

Then the same is true of any position, including CB.

And if we’re gonna give Holmes credit for finding CB talent for cheap, we have to give him credit for finding cheap safety talent too. He’s been widely credited with finding Fuller and John Johnson for the Rams.

By a process of elimination …

1/ I think it’s unlikely they take a risk on a quarterback. Too much risk, too many other needs and too much investment in Goff.
2/ I think it’s unlikely they go with a defensive back. Feel that they’ll try to pick 1-2 defensive backs between picks 3 and 7 but I’d guess they’d prefer later rather than sooner given that they’ve remained competitive in that area despite injuries and with later picks / UDFAs.
3/ I think they would go with whichever of Wilson, Williams, London, Burks or Olave is available. But I expect they will have gone by the Rams pick. My guess is that if all of those are gone, the Lions will leave it to round 2 to take one of Bell or Pickens.
4/ If they can’t grab one of the elite receivers - I’d imagine they might prefer to double down on the trenches. The recent improvements in the Lions have given Holmes a little more scope to do what he likes and I think that they want the Lions identity to be defined through the trenches. As with the elite receivers - I’d guess that they might well go with someone like DeMarvin Leal or Travon Walker - and try to build an elite defensive front / pass rush. But again I’d be surprised if those two drop this far.
5/ The options at offensive line are interesting although the options here would probably be someone like Bernhard Raimann and he’s a bit of a project and a bit of a luxury pick.
4/ So that leaves linebacker. Obviously there’s a lot to be said for Nakobe Dean and Devon Lloyd. It’s a bit rich to pick a linebacker in the 1st round for me, there’s normally good value deep into the draft at linebacker - this said it’s a position of need. I’d guess the Eagles might pick one of them given their positional needs and their multiple picks. I’d imagine they might go with Lloyd given his extra size.

So, my guess ultimately is Nakobe Dean.

That’s quite the run on WRs. If that happens I think I’d grab David Bell.

4 Likes

Not sure if this a “hot take” … but I think I prefer David Bell over Chris Olave. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I’m right there with you

1 Like

I’m good with taking pass rush with both picks R1. Looking like Tibbs for sure and another athletic defender.

Tibbs or Hutch alone isn’t gonna completely fix the pass rush. We need talent to rush the passer. It’s one of those things you can’t really coach up.

David bell should have a solid pro career

We may be able to get some solid value at WR early in the 3rd round. I think there are 12 WR’s in this draft with 2nd round grades or higher and that doesn’t include Pickens or Robinson. At least one will be available at the top of the 3rd round. With our 2nd round pick I would really like to see them get one of the four safety’s not named Hamilton that have a 1st round grade. Positional wise it doesn’t scream value but talent wise looking at the draft and what should be available I think Holmes goes something like this:

1a - DE Kayvon Thibodeaux
1b - LB Nakobe Dean
2 - S Daxton Hill
3a - WR Jalen Tolbert
3b - WR John Metchie

3 Likes

The equation here is simple. Regardless of how well Goff’s season goes next year, the decision in question will have already been made this April. If they draft a QB in Rounds 1-3, then next year will be Goff’s last. If Holmes holds his water this April in an all-chips-in, jackpot attempt at one of the franchise QBs in 2023, then Goff will have 2 more seasons.

2 Likes