Jared Goff Bounce Back Player of the Year? Dose of Dion Video

Considering that the first reference to that was in 2018 and that there are questions about its veracity, I don’t think it was the issue.

Did anyone talk to Jon about it?

1 Like

I only wonder as he seems like a smart coach… Goff, now that we are dissecting him I’m detail, seems like a legit QB and young… has potential… so why dump him and on him?

My only answer I seem to come up with is resentment… but I’m outside looking in so I get it that I can be totally off base as well…

I guess I got confused and thought you were saying that nobody played very far off the LOS in 2020.
But I guess somewhere in PP’s posts he switched his narrative to 2 deep Safety.

Here’s the first play of the Rams vs Cowgirls game last year, looks like a regular defense to me…“but oh my gosh, there’s only 10 guys within 11 yards of the LOS! What a huge difference without Cooks!” LOL
I’m just messing. Like I said, I think without Gurley, Watkins, and Cooks and a bad O-line, a lot of defenses did crowd the line knowing they could get to Goff before anyone could run by their defense.
I think someone who follows the Rams more closely than us would probably know better than us though.
FYI, guys that run 4.3 will run 40 yards within 5 seconds…but so will a 4.6 guy.

1 Like

Before last year, Golladay started 29 out of 32 games. He’s actually been pretty durable.

2 Likes

Changed my narrative?

This screenshot below is the first response you made to me… and my comment about BOTH of the 2 deep safeties being out of position is DIRECTLY above your 1st comment.

1 Like

It s hard IMHO to see Goff being the Comeback Player of the year with the WRs he has to work with. Maybe he’ll do better than I’m thinking, lol it ain’t like I’m always right or even close to it most of the time. He’s probably going to pad his stats in the 4th qtr (wonder what label he’ll be stuck with for that), but will he win many games coming from behind? In this league you gotta win to get any awards; I ain’t saying he can’t or won’t, but I will say I need to see it happen more than once or twice, okay? And I’m guessing the opportunities will be there, so we’ll see.

I wish the guy well. If he doesn’t play well, the the Lions will be picking early again in next year’s draft. And maybe that’ll even be for the best in the long run if they can get some foundational players out of it.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. He’s arguing with you for the sake of arguing with you. Nothing more. His premise is literally that there were “only” 10 guys at a time crowded close to the line of scrimmage. He just wants to rustle your jimmies.

As I mentioned earlier… I have been spending a fair amount of time watching video on Goff from 2020 to see what exactly went wrong.

It happened so fast.

9/3/2019… Goff signs $134 million extension.
1/31/2021… Goff is traded.

17 months.

Looking at the 2020 season… Goff turned the ball over 17 times (13 INTs, 4 fumbles).
In 2 games (Miami week 8, SF week 12)… Goff had 7 of those TOs.
In 13 other games… he had 10 total TOs and went 9-4…3400 yards, and 19 TDs to 9 INTs.

He had 2 bad games!

In 2014… Tom Brady lost 2 fumbles in week 1 and the Patriots lost to the Dolphins.
In week 4, KC blasted the Pats as Brady threw 2 INTs and lost another fumble.

5 TOs in 2 games. Patriots were 2-2 at the moment.
Belichick is asked if a change is needed at QB!

And…

Pats go 10-2 the rest of season. They win the Super Bowl.

I am NOT comparing Goff to Brady.
But… my comparison is that there have been some interesting “HOT takes” in the media over the years… and I think there is a little similarity in these 2 situations. The media wanted to write Brady off and start the Jimmy G era in New England. Belichick laughed at them. Goff got traded.

4 Likes

Haha… I almost wrote the same thing with my initial response.
Sometimes we all want a good argument to make things interesting. :grin:
It’s all good… I am guilty of it at times!

1 Like

Sometimes I end up in long, drawn out arguments that don’t start like that but end up there. Sometimes all I try to do is get someone to concede one simple, straight forward point. If they can do that, then they are someone having an honest conversation and the “juice is worth the squeeze” on an in depth conversation. If not, its not really worth the time because they are either too committed to their view or too conceded to ever say they were wrong. In an attempt to get a concession on a simple point some guys dig in hard to not give an inch. Alot of times I back off but sometimes I start firing off shots just for fun.

1 Like

I see that…but last year was a real thing that counts too.

1 Like

Yeah I think you are seeing what a lot of us Goff/Cal and even a lot of Rams fans saw. Goff didn’t have a great year last year but it was far from terrible like Wentz.

He is still a Good QB and likely needed a new scheme/coach. He didn’t break down last season. Some of his gutsiest/best games were the last 2 in the playoffs recovering from thumb surgery.

Whatever the drama is over now. Rams fans think they have the 2nd coming of Kurt Warner and are super bowl bound. We’ll see. They be an above .500 team but I wouldn’t hand them the super bowl yet.

Lions on the other hand have a franchise QB they can build around for the next several years while continuing to improve and build depth. Holmes knows it and I think Campbell does too as he saw Goff beat out the Saints plenty.

2 Likes

I apologize, I shouldn’t post when I’m busy. I didn’t mean you changed your whole story, I just meant that in your initial post that I don’t remember seeing anything about 2-deep safety talk…but maybe I just missed it or don’t remember it. So I apologize for saying you changed your narrative.

Again, unless we watched every game that the Rams played for the last 3-4 seasons, it’s hard to just post a few pics and know with any kind of certainty if defenses were crowding the line more than when they had Cooks and Gurley. Like I said before, I do believe you are right though that without a speed guy to keep defenses honest that defenses will crowd the line more.

The Rams offense did seem to tighten their offense up last year. Goff was only sacked 23 times last season, compared to 33 times in 2018. It reminds me of the Lions offense when they had Joey at QB and our sacks were greatly reduced, it wasn’t because our O-line was some great O-line though, everyone knew it was because Joey was dumping every pass off to the RB’s or short passes. I don’t know if the Rams sacks were lessened by a more conservative offensive approach like it was with Joey but it sure did seem that way…or maybe it was Goff’s fault, which is why McVay shipped him away.

Again, I think most everyone in this thread has acknowledged that they saw a more conservative Rams offense…it’s kind of the why which seems to be the bigger question.

2 Likes

I don’t know why you’re trying to make it into an “argument” when it’s just a couple of posters making points and talking…but it’s cool, I guess that’s just they way you’re reading it.

We’re good brother.

I don’t watch every game… and certainly not in depth. This was a deep offseason dive I did.
I started watching plays on 1/2 speed to see how the coverage responded.

I knew the Rams in 2018 seemed really explosive… and I was guilty of thinking too much of that had to do with Gurley being a stud. I had underestimated the effect of the WR situation.

I made a point about Goff being traded only 17 months after his contract extension earlier.

The Rams gave Cooks a 5 year extension in July of 2018.
They traded him away in April 2020… 21 months later.

I realize he had another concussion in 2019… making his long-term future a little risky.

But… that is a team that has done nothing but make moves for NOW since McVay got there.
How did trading Cooks away help that goal???

edit… because I can’t shut my mind off on this topic…

The 2018 Rams made the Super Bowl.

Is Cooper Kupp the same guy after his ACL tear in 2018, or is the decline in ypc related to lack of speed around him?

Or Robert Woods… ?

Look at how the yards per catch plummets for both Kupp and Woods in 2020 without Cooks (2018, 2019) or Watkins (2017).

Have at it bro.

I didn’t really notice this earlier… but I don’t think this is a “bigger question” situation.

The Rams offense became more conservative out of necessity. They didn’t have 1 WR that could make a safety even consider that he should get depth and backpedal at the snap.

Cooks forced safeties to back up.

Woods. Kupp. Reynolds. … no.

1 Like

Oh Yeah GIF